What are your Must-have Windows applications?

PSPad

Xnview

Bulk Rename Utility

Chrome

CCleaner

CLC

Freemake Video Coverter

Freemake YouTube MP3 Converter

PDFX-Change pdf viewer

Steam

Avast Anti Virus (although using Nod32 at the minute - 33 days left on the trial)

DVD Shrink

Not exhaustive, an no precise order:

F.lux (reduce eye fatigue)

Winrar

Universal Extractor (legroom.net, unfortunately not updated)

Photoshop cs6 (the last one before the cloud stuff)

Dreamweaver (old version , don't care of newer ones)

Mathematica (even when lazy, to calculate basic stuff)

Ultraedit

Beyond compare

JGsoft RegexBuddy

Meazure (C Thing software)

Babylon Translator (helped me a lot to learn english, , now less useful . There's also linguee.com website )

Foobar2000

VLC Media player

AcdSee (more convenient than regular viewer)

Sumatra pdf reader

Firefox

Filezilla ftp client

Utorrent version 2.2.1 (newer versions are crap)

JDownloader

WindirStat

SpaceSniffer from underzo.it

ImgBurn (bye bye nero burner)

MusicBrainz Picard

Mp3Tag (lately adopted Tag&Rename)

Xrecode II

Replace Winrar with 7zip

Both are good, winrar has a nicer interface and some nice feature such like : repair archive,  test, check compression ratio, add comment to archive ...

Sometimes I try 7-zip when winrar fail to uncompress a particular file.

Adobe Reader

BetterDesktopTool

Doro PDF Writer

DropBox

F.lux

FileHippo Update Checker

Geek Uninstaller

HandBrake

inSSIDer

IrfanView

LibreOffice

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Mozilla Firefox

Paint.NET

Recuva

Rufus

Speccy

Start8

uTorrent

VLC Player

VirtualCloneDrive

WinDirStat

WinRAR

I mean, I used it very long ago, never liked it. I think IDM now is the king and FDM is ok if you prefer FOSS 

Your choice.No offense, my friend

I mean, I used it very long ago, never liked it. I think IDM now is the king and FDM is ok if you prefer FOSS 

Yes IDM is the fastest downloader I know,

but getright support download from multiple mirrors (well, last time I tried it), and have nice silly animations.

Currently I use no downloader, most of the time they don't help:

either download is enough fast, or it's not supported by IDM (i.e free version of rapidshare etc ...)

I'm confused why so many still feel a need to hose their systems with so many "security" suites? Am I the only one surviving off my common sense, and built in protections?

Yes IDM is the fastest downloader I know,

but getright support download from multiple mirrors (well, last time I tried it), and have nice silly animations.

Currently I use no downloader, most of the time they don't help:

either download is enough fast, or it's not supported by IDM (i.e free version of rapidshare etc ...)

For some reason I can never max out my download rates without using a download manager.

I'm confused why so many still feel a need to hose their systems with so many "security" suites? Am I the only one surviving off my common sense, and built in protections?

Built in protection (Specially if it's MSE ... a.k.a Windows defender) and common sense, will not protect you 100% from drive by downloads / Zero days. Which is why I sandbox all of my web browsing on all of my computers.

Built in protection (Specially of it's MSE ... a.k.a Windows defender) and common sense, will not protect you 100% from drive by downloads / Zero days. Which is why I sandbox all of my web browsing on all of my computers.

That's the other thing. I run with as little addons as possible, I've been surviving on Flash alone for nearly 5 years now. The best defense is a good offense, and that begins with not installing anything you don't need. Much of the stuff can be mitigated by installing AdBlock and NoScript into Firefox.

If I do need something else, it's installed inside a VM, and immediately blown away.

That's the other thing. I run with as little addons as possible, I've been surviving on Flash alone for nearly 5 years now. The best defense is a good offense, and that begins with not installing anything you don't need.

If I do need something else, it's installed inside a VM, and immediately blown away.

Flash does have Zero days. That could bite ya some day. Which is why I also use Flash blocker in Firefox, wish stops all flash from automatically running, turning each flash object into click to play.

Flash does have Zero days. That could bite ya some day. Which is why I also use Flash blocker in Firefox, wish stops all flash from automatically running, turning each flash object into click to play.

Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days.

Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days.

So why then, do so many people get hit with malware from java vulnerabilities when running the latest version of IE on modern operating systems like 7 & 8?

So why then, do so many people get hit with malware from java vulnerabilities when running the latest version of IE on modern operating systems like 7 & 8?

That's why friends don't let friends run Java. Seriously, it's not needed. Get rid of it.

That's why friends don't let friends run Java. Seriously, it's not needed. Get rid of it.

That didn't answer my question.

You just got done saying these vulnerabilities aren't a problem like the xp days

"Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days."

I would call "Java" a pretty common attack vector, and Windows 7/8's amazing built in protection doesn't seem to crap to mitigate it.

At least in a browser.  Desktop app wise it's no different than dumbassery with random executables, and there's a good number of programs that use it.

Big +1 for Sandboxie either way.

uTorrent

Opera Mail

SumatraPDF

TeamViewer

WinRAR

Bitdefender Antivirus Free

Dropbox

Google Chrome

IDM

K Lite Codec Pack + MPC HC

MS Office

Nero Burning ROM with Nero Express

Notepad++

CCleaner

been using it since the 90s, its lightweight and fast. dont need any bells and whistles. i use it only for splitting downloads into pieces as it gives me way faster speeds.

Notepad++

Visual Studio 2012 Professional

Firefox (Development Only)

IE10 (soon IE11)

7-Zip

SkyDrive

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Flash

Adobe Reader

Tixati (only because uTorrent has commercials)

MPC:HC

Eclipse Enterprise Edition

Java 7

PuTTy

Microsoft Office 2010

Skype Desktop

Steam

TortoiseSVN

WinSCP

VirtualBox 

WMP

Rainmeter

MySQL Workbench

Aptana Studio 3

Google Earth

Probably a good list

That didn't answer my question.

You just got done saying these vulnerabilities aren't a problem like the xp days

"Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days."

I would call "Java" a pretty common attack vector, and Windows 7/8's amazing built in protection doesn't seem to crap to mitigate it.

It's not Java or Flash, it's the users, you still have old and young people that seem incapable of not clicking on some shady ad or link and can't say no to any junk some installers insist on pushing onto us, the only safe thing these types can do is to not go online ever, they're too stupid to use it safely, they're also the reason we have such dumb warnings on everything so might not really matter in the long run, they keep breeding more stupid people perpetuating the cycle