Photo

What are your Must-have Windows applications?

win8 win7 vista winxp win2k winme win98se win98 win95

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:52

getright!!!!! come on

whats wrong with getright?

#32 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:56

I mean, I used it very long ago, never liked it. I think IDM now is the king and FDM is ok if you prefer FOSS 

Your choice.No offense, my friend

#33 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:48

I mean, I used it very long ago, never liked it. I think IDM now is the king and FDM is ok if you prefer FOSS 

Your choice.No offense, my friend

Yes IDM is the fastest downloader I know,
but getright support download from multiple mirrors (well, last time I tried it), and have nice silly animations.

Currently I use no downloader, most of the time they don't help:
either download is enough fast, or it's not supported by IDM (i.e free version of rapidshare etc ...)

#34 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:53

I'm confused why so many still feel a need to hose their systems with so many "security" suites? Am I the only one surviving off my common sense, and built in protections?

#35 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:53

Yes IDM is the fastest downloader I know,
but getright support download from multiple mirrors (well, last time I tried it), and have nice silly animations.

Currently I use no downloader, most of the time they don't help:
either download is enough fast, or it's not supported by IDM (i.e free version of rapidshare etc ...)

For some reason I can never max out my download rates without using a download manager.

#36 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:54

I'm confused why so many still feel a need to hose their systems with so many "security" suites? Am I the only one surviving off my common sense, and built in protections?

Built in protection (Specially if it's MSE ... a.k.a Windows defender) and common sense, will not protect you 100% from drive by downloads / Zero days. Which is why I sandbox all of my web browsing on all of my computers.

#37 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:58

Built in protection (Specially of it's MSE ... a.k.a Windows defender) and common sense, will not protect you 100% from drive by downloads / Zero days. Which is why I sandbox all of my web browsing on all of my computers.

That's the other thing. I run with as little addons as possible, I've been surviving on Flash alone for nearly 5 years now. The best defense is a good offense, and that begins with not installing anything you don't need. Much of the stuff can be mitigated by installing AdBlock and NoScript into Firefox.

If I do need something else, it's installed inside a VM, and immediately blown away.

#38 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:58

Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Photoshop

Blender

Visual Studio Express

Audacity

OneNote

Unity3d

MonoDevelop

IE11

Google Chrome

Autodesk Sketchbook

#39 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:00

That's the other thing. I run with as little addons as possible, I've been surviving on Flash alone for nearly 5 years now. The best defense is a good offense, and that begins with not installing anything you don't need.

If I do need something else, it's installed inside a VM, and immediately blown away.

Flash does have Zero days. That could bite ya some day. Which is why I also use Flash blocker in Firefox, wish stops all flash from automatically running, turning each flash object into click to play.

#40 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:03

MS Office

Microsoft Security Essentials

SkyDrive

WinAmp

WinRAR

ImgBurn

#41 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:08

Flash does have Zero days. That could bite ya some day. Which is why I also use Flash blocker in Firefox, wish stops all flash from automatically running, turning each flash object into click to play.

Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days.

#42 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:09

Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days.

So why then, do so many people get hit with malware from java vulnerabilities when running the latest version of IE on modern operating systems like 7 & 8?

#43 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:39

So why then, do so many people get hit with malware from java vulnerabilities when running the latest version of IE on modern operating systems like 7 & 8?

That's why friends don't let friends run Java. Seriously, it's not needed. Get rid of it.

#44 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:41

That's why friends don't let friends run Java. Seriously, it's not needed. Get rid of it.

That didn't answer my question.

You just got done saying these vulnerabilities aren't a problem like the xp days

"Yes, but Windows 7/8 have amazing built in protections that can mitigate more common attack vectors. This isn't like the old, XP days."

I would call "Java" a pretty common attack vector, and Windows 7/8's amazing built in protection doesn't seem to crap to mitigate it.

#45 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:42

At least in a browser.  Desktop app wise it's no different than dumbassery with random executables, and there's a good number of programs that use it.

Big +1 for Sandboxie either way.