os/2 warp

33 replies to this topic

#16 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:34

In what way is OS/2 Warp "not like" Windows or Linux?

Just to clarify, I asked in the post; why OS/2 Warp is being used and not something like a modern Windows or Linux OS. OS/2 warp came out in 1994 according to Wikipedia. Yes, I do know that OS/2 was initially created from Microsoft and IBM back then, and it does have elements from Windows.

#17 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,425 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:36

In what way is OS/2 Warp "not like" Windows or Linux?

Windows and Linux have official support from their respective developers and plenty of third parties. Supposedly IBM still offers paid support for OS/2 and existing customers can request to buy licenses, that's as far as it goes, in essence though it's pretty much dead and buried. Not something I'd personally want to base a business off of nowadays.

#18 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,728 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:37

Does Steam run on OS/2?

#19 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,312 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:37

Just to clarify, I asked in the post; why OS/2 Warp is being used and not something like a modern Windows or Linux OS. OS/2 came out in 1994 according to Wikipedia.

OS/2 is stable on fully supported hardware, and there is no malware for it. There are legacy applications still running on OS/2; just ask the banking sector.

Simply put, why change a running system for the sake of change?

#20 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,272 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:38

probably ecommstation, a lot of POS software was written for OS/2/eCommstation. Lot of old tellers use DOS too. It's surprising but if it ain't broke dont fix it, plus when you are designing devices that only do one thing over and over again you want to keep things simply, the more complex the more likely they are to break, the harder it is to repair. 

#21 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,272 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:39

I just find it a little strange for a corporation to be using a 19 year old operating system especially OS/2 (if they truly are using OS/2 warp). I wouldn't doubt Kmart uses Windows 95 for their checkouts. Grocery stores and department stores could use a tablet now with an app that emulates what their checkout does currently.

The difference is the application of the OS. Win95 is a consumer OS so wouldn't fit as well (although a lot of POS also ran on Win95/98 as well as XP and NT)

Age doesn't really factor in these OS's as they only have to do simple tasks and don't require modern technology. 

#22 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

• 3,699 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:44

The difference is the application of the OS. Win95 is a consumer OS so wouldn't fit as well (although a lot of POS also ran on Win95/98 as well as XP and NT)

Age doesn't really factor in these OS's as they only have to do simple tasks and don't require modern technology. 

I guess if it works, then it works and is good for what its needed for. There would be a lot of potential if companies switched over to using tablet computers like Android, IOS or Windows 8.

#23 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,425 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:48

and there is no malware for it.

Untrue, there were a few OS/2 viruses out there. I've personally run into samples of the MyName and Jiskefet viruses a couple of times back in the day. Not saying that it was common as it certainly wasn't, ranks up there with Linux malware, but there's no such thing as a bulletproof OS that's immune to malware.

Simply put, why change a running system for the sake of change?

Because things stagnate when they don't/can't evolve. What happens when something goes wrong, you need to add new systems but can't buy new licenses, you want to add new things into the system but can't, etc etc..? You get locked into something and you can't move on. Very bad from a business or technology standpoint.

#24 pookie62

pookie62

Neowinian

• 149 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:49

Well, I installed *a lot* of OS/2 back in the day, for many mission critical roles and government agencies. It is pretty bullet proof and there's still some ATMs that use OS/2 but not as many.  But I see no technical reason why you wouldn't want to use OS/2, particularly if your applications (such as POS here) is well understood, stable, documented, and "just worked". 

#25 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• 6,995 posts
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:50

Just to clarify, I asked in the post; why OS/2 Warp is being used and not something like a modern Windows or Linux OS. OS/2 warp came out in 1994 according to Wikipedia. Yes, I do know that OS/2 was initially created from Microsoft and IBM back then, and it does have elements from Windows.

The latest version of OS/2 came out in 2011 and the current beta in March 2013. It is called eComstation now.

#26 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,077 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:53

I asked in the post; why OS/2 Warp is being used and not something like a modern Windows or Linux OS

Nope.  I quoted you, not paraphrased.

#27 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

• 3,699 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:56

They should get rid of those big archaic electricity sucking point of sale machines and replace all of them with tablets. A tablet could be offer much more advanced features and offer new intuitive checkout features as well like sending a payment from your phone to their POS tablet. I suppose a tablet compared a clunky POS might cost less also. I am not an expert on POS machines so don't quote me on anything :laugh:

#28 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,202 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 02 September 2013 - 19:36

Erm.. Nope.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-09-02 at 15.14.57.png

That said, I was trying to get OS/2 Warp running in VMWare Fusion a while ago. Was damned near impossible.

That's a bunch of garbage.

#29 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,918 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:02

People aren't obligated to replace things just because they're old, in fact it's that kind of wasteful thinking that's leading us to deplete our resources so quickly. If it is still fit for purpose and doesn't present a security risk why should they upgrade?

#30 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,706 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:31

OS/2 had been VERY large in the embedded-OS business - which is how eComStation inherited that position; it's only relatively recently that Windows Embedded has begun to displace it.

A major use of embedded-OS technologies - self-service checkout (mostly manufactured by IBM - hence OS/2 and eComStation), along with ATMs.