PS4 Camera Supports Navigational Voice Commands, Sony Confirms

As if MS is the only one doing progress on voice recognition. Read some journal papers please.

I never said that they were the only one.  However, we know Sony isn't.   Microsoft Research is huge and far more impressive than Richard Mark's tiny webcam team.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Research

Research areas

Microsoft research is categorized into the following broad areas:[1]

1. Algorithms and theory
  2. Hardware development
  3. Human?computer interaction
  4. Machine learning, adaptation, and intelligence
  5. Multimedia and graphics
  6. Search, retrieval, and knowledge management
  7. Security and cryptography
  8. Social computing
  9. Software development
  10. Systems, architectures, mobility, and networking
  11. Computational and Systems Biology [2][3]

One of the stated goals of Microsoft Research is to "support long-term computer science research that is not bound by product cycles."[4] MSR sponsors the Microsoft Research Fellowship for graduate students and the New Faculty Fellowship for new faculty members.

Laboratories

There are laboratories around the world in Aachen, Bangalore, Beijing, Cairo, Cambridge (United Kingdom), Cambridge (Massachusetts), Mountain View, Redmond, San Francisco and New York City.

• Microsoft Research Redmond was founded on the Microsoft Redmond campus in 1991 working in building 8 by Nathan Myhrvold and has now moved to their own facility in building 99. It currently has about 350 researchers and is headed by Peter Lee.
  • Microsoft Research Cambridge was founded in 1997 by Roger Needham and now numbers over 100 employees. It maintains close ties to the University of Cambridge.
  • Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) was founded in Beijing in November 1998. Advanced Technology Center was initially a group of MSRA until it became an independent R&D group of Microsoft.
  • Microsoft Research Silicon Valley, located in Mountain View, California, was founded in August 2001. In January 2006, the Silicon Valley lab merged with Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center (BARC) in San Francisco.
  • Microsoft Israel Innovation Labs (ILabs), building on its original R&D operation in Israel which was founded in 1991 and tapping into Israel's thriving high-tech community, Microsoft inaugurated in April 2006 the Israel Research & Development Center. The Israel R&D Center is situated in two main locations - in Herzliya, heartland of Israel's high tech industry, and in Matam, Haifa, home to many graduates of the Technion, Israel's leading technology university.[5]
  • Microsoft Research India was established in January 2005 in Bangalore and headed by Dr. P. Anandan.
  • Cairo Microsoft Innovation Center (CMIC) was founded in 2006 by Tarek Elabbady and currently headed by Hussein Salama.
  • Microsoft Research New England was established in 2008 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, adjacent to the MIT campus.
  • Microsoft Research New York was established in New York, New York on May 3, 2012 with Jennifer Chayes as Managing Director of this location (as well as the New England location). Says David Pennock, Assistant Managing Director, "We'll all be working together in consensus style here in the lab."[6]
Collaborations

Microsoft Research also collaborates with and jointly operate research centers at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center,[7]Brown University, Carnegie Mellon University, INRIA,[8]Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of Trento.[9][10][11] There are also nine jointly-operated labs in China and Hong Kong.[12]

Microsoft Research also supports research centers at many other universities.

I never said that they were the only one.  However, we know Sony isn't.   Microsoft Research is huge and far more impressive than Richard Mark's tiny webcam team.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Research

Research areas

Microsoft research is categorized into the following broad areas:[1]

1. Algorithms and theory
  2. Hardware development
  3. Human?computer interaction
  4. Machine learning, adaptation, and intelligence
  5. Multimedia and graphics
  6. Search, retrieval, and knowledge management
  7. Security and cryptography
  8. Social computing
  9. Software development
  10. Systems, architectures, mobility, and networking
  11. Computational and Systems Biology [2][3]

One of the stated goals of Microsoft Research is to "support long-term computer science research that is not bound by product cycles."[4] MSR sponsors the Microsoft Research Fellowship for graduate students and the New Faculty Fellowship for new faculty members.

Laboratories

There are laboratories around the world in Aachen, Bangalore, Beijing, Cairo, Cambridge (United Kingdom), Cambridge (Massachusetts), Mountain View, Redmond, San Francisco and New York City.

• Microsoft Research Redmond was founded on the Microsoft Redmond campus in 1991 working in building 8 by Nathan Myhrvold and has now moved to their own facility in building 99. It currently has about 350 researchers and is headed by Peter Lee.
  • Microsoft Research Cambridge was founded in 1997 by Roger Needham and now numbers over 100 employees. It maintains close ties to the University of Cambridge.
  • Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) was founded in Beijing in November 1998. Advanced Technology Center was initially a group of MSRA until it became an independent R&D group of Microsoft.
  • Microsoft Research Silicon Valley, located in Mountain View, California, was founded in August 2001. In January 2006, the Silicon Valley lab merged with Microsoft's Bay Area Research Center (BARC) in San Francisco.
  • Microsoft Israel Innovation Labs (ILabs), building on its original R&D operation in Israel which was founded in 1991 and tapping into Israel's thriving high-tech community, Microsoft inaugurated in April 2006 the Israel Research & Development Center. The Israel R&D Center is situated in two main locations - in Herzliya, heartland of Israel's high tech industry, and in Matam, Haifa, home to many graduates of the Technion, Israel's leading technology university.[5]
  • Microsoft Research India was established in January 2005 in Bangalore and headed by Dr. P. Anandan.
  • Cairo Microsoft Innovation Center (CMIC) was founded in 2006 by Tarek Elabbady and currently headed by Hussein Salama.
  • Microsoft Research New England was established in 2008 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, adjacent to the MIT campus.
  • Microsoft Research New York was established in New York, New York on May 3, 2012 with Jennifer Chayes as Managing Director of this location (as well as the New England location). Says David Pennock, Assistant Managing Director, "We'll all be working together in consensus style here in the lab."[6]
Collaborations

Microsoft Research also collaborates with and jointly operate research centers at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center,[7]Brown University, Carnegie Mellon University, INRIA,[8]Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of Trento.[9][10][11] There are also nine jointly-operated labs in China and Hong Kong.[12]

Microsoft Research also supports research centers at many other universities.

If you go and check some journals on IEEE for example, you will realize one thing: Nor the MS ones or the Sony ones are as often cited as others, so I say this, screw that, voice recognition goes WAY beyond two companies, none of them represent the holy grail in nothing.

If you go and check some journals on IEEE for example, you will realize one thing: Nor the MS ones or the Sony ones are as often cited as others, so I say this, screw that, voice recognition goes WAY beyond two companies, none of them represent the holy grail in nothing.

You don't think that feeds back into the labs at Microsoft Research?  You act like research is a vacuum.  I also never mentioned any "holy grail", that was you.   I simply said that Microsoft Research isn't doing the "crappy voice recognition" that people use on their other crappy devices. I posted that video that Microsoft was using neural networks to help improve speech recognition at Microsoft research.

People happen to think that Microsoft is outdated in technology and I am just showing those people that they are clearly wrong.   Microsoft has a ton of resources and I don't think most people that are into technology get it.

Many people came to Microsoft Research that are from "Bell Labs" and "MIT" and they are in the hot bed of technology and Microsoft spends more on R&D than Google or Apple combined.  

You don't think that feeds back into the labs at Microsoft Research?  You act like research is a vacuum.  I also never mentioned any "holy grail", that was you.   I simply said that Microsoft Research isn't doing the "crappy voice recognition" that people use on their other crappy devices. I posted that video that Microsoft was using neural networks to help improve speech recognition at Microsoft research.

People happen to think that Microsoft is outdated in technology and I am just showing those people that they are clearly wrong.   Microsoft has a ton of resources and I don't think most people that are into technology get it.

Many people came to Microsoft Research that are from "Bell Labs" and "MIT" and they are in the hot bed of technology and Microsoft spends more on R&D than Google or Apple combined.  

Assuming you know what neural networks are I like to tell you in advance that you can use other improved methods... second, that feeds into MS but also as well on sony research centers.... and many other centers, where voice it's more contrained, for example communications.

MS spends a ton of money and time into R&D across a wide range of subjects.  Anyone trying to claim that they are behind the times in that area would be incorrect. 

Otherwise, talking about voice research specifically, MS is definitely very interested in researching alternative UI controls, but they are not the only ones. 

This is how people view Microsoft these days..

Creepy House at the end of the road that looks like its from the mid 1500's... The sun never shines on it... And an Angry Evil Old Man lives there and the lights are never on... And a candle may shine from there about twice a year...

I'm not saying Microsoft is the best thing since sliced bread.. But people would be shocked at the crap they use everyday that has Microsoft stuff somewhere in there...

Assuming you know what neural networks are I like to tell you in advance that you can use other improved methods... second, that feeds into MS but also as well on sony research centers.... and many other centers, where voice it's more contrained, for example communications.

Sony is not a software company and Sony doesn't have the money to do that much software research.  They can build a UI for example on an existing OS that multitasks.  They have done voice recognition research in the past, but it's no where near the quality that Microsoft has invested in it.  I think you are reaching here by a lot.

Sony is not a software company and Sony doesn't have the money to do that much software research.  They can build a UI for example on an existing OS that multitasks.  They have done voice recognition research in the past, but it's no where near the quality that Microsoft has invested in it.  I think you are reaching here by a lot.

Meh, you are just talking because you support MS full extent, you really don't know about research.

Meh, you are just talking because you support MS full extent, you really don't know about research.

Well, sure I support Microsoft research.  It's one of the most progressive technology research institutes in the country.  Can you show me what you are talking about though, because I would love to learn more about it.

I love technology and yes there are some downsides sure, but technology allows us to improve our lives and science is at the heart of it. 

I need to hear more of what you are talking about though as it sounds interesting.  Give me some details and elaborate.

I don't know the dollars spent, but I'm sure someone could find out how much Sony and MS spend on R&D in a given year.  Sony is no slouch, but the fact that MS is simply a bigger company would lead me to believe they also have a bigger R&D department.

I'm not sure what the big deal is.  Sony has areas of research it is more deeply involved with and MS has theirs. 

• Like 2