PS4 Camera Supports Navigational Voice Commands, Sony Confirms

2UcXyl7.jpg

While Microsoft has repeatedly touted the Kinect 2?s voice recognition features, Sony has generally been rather quiet about what their camera can do on the PS4. But camera fans needn?t worry, as Sony has nonchalantly confirmed that the PlayStation Camera supports navigational voice commands during their GameStop Expo Conference, which can be viewed here.

Sold separately, unlike the Kinect 2, Sony will likely find it harder to get developer and consumer support for the device, but, as many have pointed out ? does it really matter?

Previously, SCEA President Jack Tretton explained his thoughts on bundling a camera with a console, saying ?to force every consumer to have one on day one, when some of them may be on a limited budget and don?t necessarily have the interest in it, or to mandate that the development community has to support it? ends up coming up a little bit short in terms of things of things that people can get excited about.?

The PS Camera releases alongside the the PS4 for $59.99. Will you be getting it? Let us know yea or nay in the comments below.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/29/ps4-camera-supports-navigational-voice-commands-sony-confirms/

I do hope that at least 80% or more of future PS4 owners buy the camera. That can almost guarantee developer support for it, and support for Sony. They are taking a chance on the Eye (again), the least people can do is buy it. It's not like R&D for this stuff is cheap or free...

heh

incredible innovation...

omg...

More importantly though, does it support voice commands, which is what they say, or does it actually support full voice recognition like the competition. 

Good news, I hope Sony puts in the effort to properly support these features.

It'll be interesting to find out how good their built in mic performs and how extensive the controls are. 

I know some people have no interest in voice commands, but its something I enjoying making use of in my home theater.  I'm happy to buy a ps camera if they show off reliable usage. Since Sony seems to downplay this stuff so much, I'm worried they wont give us much detail, but hopefully we can get a better idea of just how useful it will be before launch.

Here is the GameStop Expo video.

Now if the camera has a good response time and is completely hands-free, I personally wont even need to buy an xbox one. Can keep everyone in the household happy then lol.

Hmmm... i guess we can only wait and see how good this may be.

What is good however is that both MS and Sony see a future for motion and voice as a serious option. This can only drive innovation harder.

So, you get a system that wasn't built for Voice recognition and the same kind of voice recognition you had in the past that works sometimes.

I just don't have faith in this.  It's another inferior "ME too" addition from Sony. 

Microsoft has worked years and years on Voice Recognition, they started when they added it in with the Ford vehicles and then Windows Vista/Windows 7 and then raised the bar considerably where at this point they are the best in the industry.

Even better than Dragon Speech recognition at this point.   There is no doubt in my mind, to prove how far they have come, I have included a link here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4S5BQWTMA

This is just an example of what Microsoft has done.  Remember that the Xbox one has built in suppressing of noise (people talking, noise from your game or other from your TV).

Sony is always following other companies like Microsoft or Nintendo because they don't have any innovation and they can't do things on their own.

So, they are going to attempt this with an optional camera.  Great move!

• Like 2

So, you get a system that wasn't built for Voice recognition and the same kind of voice recognition you had in the past that works sometimes.

I just don't have faith in this.  It's another inferior "ME too" addition from Sony. 

Microsoft has worked years and years on Voice Recognition, they started when they added it in with the Ford vehicles and then Windows Vista/Windows 7 and then raised the bar considerably where at this point they are the best in the industry.

Even better than Dragon Speech recognition at this point.   There is no doubt in my mind, to prove how far they have come, I have included a link here..

This is just an example of what Microsoft has done.  Remember that the Xbox one has built in suppressing of noise (people talking, noise from your game or other from your TV).

Sony is always following other companies like Microsoft or Nintendo because they don't have any innovation and they can't do things on their own.

Wow biased much?

Sony made the first motion-sensor for gaming, the PS Eye was out well before the Kinect.

So no Sony didn't copy Microsoft, it was the other way around.

I really cannot be bothered even explaining how your wrong on the rest as you clearly are a devout fan-boy of Microsoft & Xbox One and I'm more of a PC gamer so not really that interested in trying to talk to a wall or the console wars but was hoping people would stick with facts and allow people who aren't fanboys to be able to have a clear picture of each systems good points and weak points.

Wow biased much?

Sony made the first motion-sensor for gaming, the PS Eye was out well before the Kinect.

I really cannot be bothered even explaining how your wrong on the rest as you clearly are a devout fan-boy of Microsoft & Xbox One and I'm more of a PC gamer so not really that interested in trying to talk to a wall or the console wars but was hoping people would stick with facts and allow people who aren't fanboys to be able to have a clear picture of each systems good points and weak points.

PS Eye is not even remotely comparable to Kinect especially with Kinect in XB1.

• Like 1

PS Eye is not even remotely comparable to Kinect especially with Kinect in XB1.

They both do basically the same thing, except one has an IR camera which allows you to play in the dark. Sure its a good feature, I'm not doubting that but the main reason I've used kinect is for party games. I dont stand in a dark room waving and kicking to the kinect on any games it may be because it didn't have this feature or it may be because I haven't had the need for it. (The heart rate monitoring is only capable via the IR camera I believe so that a handy feature but easily substituted and not really something I'm too worried about)

The response time and accuracy are what will matter between these two now, I haven't seen any info about the PS4 Eye in regards to these though so for me personally which is better is still up in the air. I think the kinect should be better considering the R&D that went into it and because its had the same system last gen and should only need to upgrade it and not re-do it like Sony did.

They both do basically the same thing, except one has an IR camera which allows you to play in the dark. Sure its a good feature, I'm not doubting that but the main reason I've used kinect is for party games. I dont stand in a dark room waving and kicking to the kinect on any games it may be because it didn't have this feature or it may be because I haven't had the need for it. (The heart rate monitoring is only capable via the IR camera I believe so that a handy feature but easily substituted and not really something I'm too worried about)

The response time and accuracy are what will matter between these two now, I haven't seen any info about the PS4 Eye in regards to these though so for me personally which is better is still up in the air. I think the kinect should be better considering the R&D that went into it and because its had the same system last gen and should only need to upgrade it and not re-do it like Sony did.

I'm all for waiting to see what it's like when released but i'm pretty sure it won't be a patch on the Kinect.

Wow biased much?

If its facts you want, the Xbox Live Vision cam was out before the PS Eye.

And yes it did do motion control in certain games.

Yes that's the eye toy, different generation. Not the PS Eye. 

They both have come a long way since.

But claiming that all Sony does is copying MS when they actually released a motion tracking device years before is unfair.

But claiming that all Sony does is copying MS when they actually released a motion tracking device years before is unfair.

Where did I claim they copied?

Calling the eye toy a motion tracking device is kind of like calling a kids triwheel bike a Harley though...

Where did I claim they copied?

I quoted you but didn't mean to imply that you had said that, it was Yogurtmaster's claim.

Calling the eye toy a motion tracking device is kind of like calling a kids triwheel bike a Harley though...

Well, it was a device and it tracked motion. That was the whole point of the Eye Toy actually, tracking your movements to interact with games without a controller.

The tech is older (and so is the device) but it had the same purpose as Kinect. Same concept and released first, which was the point in regards to Yogurtmaster's statement about Sony doing nothing but following Microsoft and Nintendo with no innovation of their own.

Don't waste your money on a PS4/XB1 then, buy Ooya. It's much cheaper and basically the same thing as PS4.

Kinect v2 is actually not the same as v1. The first Kinect used technology licensed from Prime Sense. The XB1 Kinect is completely home grown at Microsoft.

LOL, you think the Eye toy was impressive.  The Eye Toy was low end web cam with motion detection software that has been done on the PC in the 1990's.

It wasn't impressive then and it's not impressive now.

It took Richard marks and all of his research to figure out something for the PS2, when we had the same thing in the late 1990's on the PC.

Do you know why it's not used on PC web cams today?  Because it is useless technology.  That's why.  It's a complete waste of time,

that is why they developed move, because they needed to see light and combine that with accelerometers and such. 

You guys can have Richard Marks and I will take "Microsoft Research" where the real next generation work gets done.

LOL, you think the Eye toy was impressive.  The Eye Toy was low end web cam with motion detection software that has been done on the PC in the 1990's.

It wasn't impressive then and it's not impressive now.

It took Richard marks and all of his research to figure out something for the PS2, when we had the same thing in the late 1990's on the PC.

Do you know why it's not used on PC web cams today?  Because it is useless technology.  That's why.  It's a complete waste of time,

that is why they developed move, because they needed to see light and combine that with accelerometers and such. 

You guys can have Richard Marks and I will take "Microsoft Research" where the real next generation work gets done.

No one ever said it was better, it was just earlier.

I'm not sure you were around in the 1990s, I was I don't remember any webcams being used let alone motion detection webcams for PCs.. Early 1990's webcams weren't even in colour (Just black and white). It wasn't till 1995 that it actually had a PC-compatible webcam according to wikipedia so motion detection is a bit of a stretch during the 1990s.

As if MS is the only one doing progress on voice recognition. Read some journal papers please.