delaware daylight attack increased patrols no witnesses

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#91 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:31

It also would have given her a chance to get shot/killed, nobody knows, anything could have happened. Again, the point is it's up to the person if they want to carry a gun to ***attempt*** to protect themselves (or potentially make the situation worse). Like I said, I have no problem with people carrying guns, only with people who make the assumption crimes definitely wouldn't have happened if the victim was carrying a gun.

Who are you arguing? The person you quoted said chance, not guaranteed which is what you are arguing against.

#92 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:33

I've been to country towns in the US and the cities, you may think its very different but its nowhere near the same as going from Germany to Italy. Or Russia to Spain, or UK to Bulgaria, etc etc.

EU Laws? Not all European Countries are members of European Union.

I have lived in both Germany and Italy and yes, the differences are bigger than that in the US going from somewhere like California to Oklahoma. Every single little detail is different.

#93 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,316 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:42

I have lived in both Germany and Italy and yes, the differences are bigger than that in the US going from somewhere like California to Oklahoma. Every single little detail is different.

Also add in that half the EU countries can't stand the other half. :p  Don't forget, we've got centuries worth of fighting each other tooth and nail behind us.  I'm amazed the EU functions at all, tbh. :p

It's not actual animosity at a country level, but it's there... You can hear it in how we relate to each other (UK/France -> we call them Frogs, they call us Ros Bouef's).

#94 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:49

UK/France -> we call them Frogs, they call us Ros Bouef's).

lol. Thats great.

#95 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,649 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:09

I've called you out on those numbers before, so you know very well that they're misleading. There really isn't any doubt that the US is a lot more violent country and that the death penalty hasn't done anything to help the situation, which was the point being made. The death penalty deserves no place in any civilised society.

And you are in a state of denial that for all practical purposes, other than language - and even then multilingualism reduces that argument, Eastern and Western Europe are organised as an operational state as the European Union. Chlturs are blending, just as has occurred here though there are still huge differences between rural/city, north/south/west etc. You should see a Bostonian trying to make heads of tails of a Cajun of Uper talking! European statistics should be combined, and you should come to grips with the fact that the EU has its violent parts just as we do.

#96 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:12

The countries operating in the EU retain their sovereignty and can leave the EU any time they wish if they disagree with it's policies. Can US states that don't like the constitution secede and become independent countries?

#97 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 3,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:23

The countries operating in the EU retain their sovereignty and can leave the EU any time they wish if they disagree with it's policies. Can US states that don't like the constitution secede and become independent countries?

No they can't, some have tried, but the Supreme Court in 1869 said no.

from Texas vs White -

"Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase wrote: “When Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation.

All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the state.

The Act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. And it was final.”

Are any EU members planning on leaving now or in the near future?

#98 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,435 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:24

And you are in a state of denial that for all practical purpose, other than language - and even then multilingualism reduces that argument, Eastern and Western Europe are organised as an operational state as the European Union. As such their statistics should be combined. The EU has its violent parts just as we do.

The EU is a political union; the United States is a country. Nobody disputes that many EU countries—particularly those in Eastern Europe—have high crime and high murder rates but the reality is that countries like Lithuania or Latvia aren't considered social and economic equals to countries like the UK, the US or Australia. It would be like me including Puerto Rico in comparisons because it is legally an unincorporated territory of the United States.

The reality is that by western standards the US has a very high murder rate, despite having the death penalty.

#99 Javik

Javik

• 5,637 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:25

No they can't, some have tried, but the Supreme Court in 1869 said no.

Are any EU members planning on leaving now or in the near future?

Wouldn't know, I don't particularly care, and it doesn't make the comparison any less false.

#100 Javik

Javik

• 5,637 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:27

The EU is a political union; the United States is a country. Nobody disputes that many EU countries—particularly those in Eastern Europe—have high crime and high murder rates but the reality is that countries like Lithuania or Latvia aren't considered social and economic equals to countries like the UK, the US or Australia. It would be like me including Puerto Rico in comparisons because it is a legally an unincorporated territory of the United States.

The reality is that by western standards the US has a very high murder rate, despite having the death penalty.

Precisely. Point is, if the death penalty advocates were right the US would have a much lower rate of murder than the EU does, in reality arguing over *how* much higher is just semantics, the point is the evidence is the same, the death penalty does not act as a suitable deterrent to criminals.

#101 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 3,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:27

Wouldn't know, I don't particularly care, and it doesn't make the comparison any less false.

I wasn't doing any comparison I answered your question and had my own. No need to be rude.

#102 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,649 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:30

But has one actually tried it yet? That's where thd test will occur. Here nonviolent secession hasn't been ruled on since the Civil War and Texas v White so it's untested by recent rulings which could differ, but there has been serious discussion.of it in several states, and there has been discussion.of regional secession - part of a stats forming a new one. In general our federalist structure minimizes the pressure for secession because of the broad home rule the states have.

#103 Javik

Javik

• 5,637 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:31

Sorry, next time I'll be quite sure to treat you with the deference you feel you deserve when giving answers that are meant to be short and to the point.

#104 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 3,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:34

Sorry, next time I'll be quite sure to treat you with the deference you feel you deserve when giving answers that are meant to be short and to the point.

Now a masked insult. Completely uncalled for and extremely arrogant.

#105 Javik

Javik

• 5,637 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:35

I posted a short and pointed answer, and you chose to take offence to it. Your problem, not mine.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!