146 posts in this topic

Posted

It's very likely, just like on the PS3.

Well why are people jumping from the hills and gloating that you can swap the HDD on the PS4 then? That like null and void's the whole argument.

Posted

Well why are people jumping from the hills and gloating that you can swap the HDD on the PS4? That like null and void's the whole argument.

Because what they say is incorrect. You can't swap the HDD to another console. It's copy protection, you can REPLACE your internal harddrive when defective or just put a new one in there if you want more space. I tried to do it once on the PS3 when a FAT died and the slim wouldn't allow me to read the data, so reformatting was necessary. If you want your data to transfer to another console, you'll need to backup on external media on the original console before putting it on the new console.

Posted

Doesn't swapping the internal HDD void such things as warranty? I could be wrong but I seem to remember the PS3 had a little seal over the HDD that stated if you broke it, it would void the warranty.

If that is true, I would imagine that External HDD's are much more preferable.

Posted

Doesn't swapping the internal HDD void such things as warranty? I could be wrong but I seem to remember the PS3 had a little seal over the HDD that stated if you broke it, it would void the warranty.

If that is true, I would imagine that External HDD's are much more preferable.

No, it does not void it on the PS3. But IMHO external drives are preferable if you have a lot of friends and go play on their console every now and then. You can just take your entire collection with you without the need to download or install anything. Just plug and play.

Posted

Because what they say is incorrect. You can't swap the HDD to another console. It's copy protection, you can REPLACE your internal harddrive when defective or just put a new one in there if you want more space. I tried to do it once on the PS3 when a FAT died and the slim wouldn't allow me to read the data, so reformatting was necessary. If you want your data to transfer to another console, you'll need to backup on external media on the original console before putting it on the new console.

We're not in the 90's, HDD's don't fail in consumer devices these days.

Why would you want to swap the internal HDD for extra space when you could just use an external HDD for cheaper which'll give you more space?

Posted

Why would you want to swap the internal HDD for extra space when you could just use an external HDD for cheaper which'll give you more space?

The one in my old Xbox 360 did.

Posted

The one in my old Xbox 360 did.

A lot changes in 8 years since a console release.

Posted

I agree, but tell that to the PlayStation fans and try and convince them...I think what MS has done is a much more convenient way to allow you to go about with storage. The internal drive has a specific serialized file system, just like on the PlayStation, but backing everything up on external media is just much easier on Xbox and on the Xbox 360 you can easily stick that internal HDD into another 360 and the data will be readable as well, your license will just need to be updated.

Posted

I agree, but tell that to the PlayStation fans and try and convince them...I think what MS has done is a much more convenient way to allow you to go about with storage. The internal drive has a specific serialized file system, just like on the PlayStation, but backing everything up on external media is just much easier on Xbox.

Considering you could swap the HDD out on the 360, it makes sense about the discussions around the X1 HDD having a flash cache from the Bluray drive which is why it's non-replaceable. The external HDD method is just more convenient. I have a couple of thumb sticks which I use in the 360. 

Posted

A lot changes in 8 years since a console release.

That doesn't change that it's still a possibility.  I find it much less likely since the X1 won't have the heat issues the 360 did, but I'm not ruling anything out.

Posted

That doesn't change that it's still a possibility.  I find it much less likely since the X1 won't have the heat issues the 360 did, but I'm not ruling anything out.

So the 3.5" drive doesn't advance in 8 years? The fail rates on mass-produced drives like that are extremely low. You'd pretty much have to do something to it ridiculous for it to break. Ofcourse you're going to get the situations where someones does break, I'm just mentioning how MS can be confident that it's not going to be a large issue as to failures on the X1. People should be more worried about the construction and failure rates of the APU's.

Posted

So the 3.5" drive doesn't advance in 8 years?

I highly doubt they use 3.5s.  I don't disagree that it'll be low, I just said it was still possible.  :p

Posted

I highly doubt they use 3.5s.  I don't disagree that it'll be low, I just said it was still possible.   :p

They did actually, if you ripped a 360 HDD apart it was just a formatted 3.5 drive. Yeah, well hopefully it doesn't prove too problematic in the X1.

Posted

They did actually, if you ripped a 360 HDD apart it was just a formatted 3.5 drive. Yeah, well hopefully it doesn't prove too problematic in the X1.

The 360 and PS3 both use a standard a 2.5" SATA hard drive.

1 person likes this

Posted

The 360 and PS3 both use a standard a 2.5" SATA hard drive.

Apologies, yes they do.

Posted

I have a question guys....

I am hearing that the PS4 games have to be installed on the hard drive on the PS4.  If that is true, how are people without a desktop PC or an external interface for the hard drive going to be able to copy over the games on to the new hard drive?

Are they going to have to reinstall everything from disk or download everything again?

That would be horrible if true...

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-details-final-ps4-spec

"Bearing in mind that the Blu-ray drive on both systems gives up to 50GB of potential storage for games and that installation is mandatory on both consoles, that hard drive could fill up very, very quickly."

Posted

I think I have found my answer and it's terrible... :(

https://twitter.com/antic604/status/372360213661114369

Basically, it goes like this on the PS4 according to that tweet.

1) If you use the Bluray disk to play your games, you cannot install on the hard drive at all.  Period.  You can ONLY play on the disk.

2) You can only install to your hard drive if you do digital downloads for the game.

What this means is that you have no choice if you buy the optical drive version, you are forced to play it off the disk and then if you do

digital downloads that is great but if you replace your hard drive in the PS4, you then have to redownload all that.

yeah dude not great at all.

The PS4 really sounds disappointing.  

1) Installing an external hard drive is superior in this case.  You don't lose your games, you add to them. 

2) The Xbox One has a compressed format that is downloaded in a compress form and installed in a compressed form on the hard drive, this means it's faster to download and it takes up a lot less space on your hard drive.

Installing to the hard drive allows there to be less load times and faster game play than running off of a bluray disk and also allows much quieter operation and allows the developer to easily make changes to the game on the hard drive.

Posted

I think I have found my answer and it's terrible... :(

https://twitter.com/antic604/status/372360213661114369

Basically, it goes like this on the PS4 according to that tweet.

1) If you use the Bluray disk to play your games, you cannot install on the hard drive at all.  Period.  You can ONLY play on the disk.

2) You can only install to your hard drive if you do digital downloads for the game.

What this means is that you have no choice if you buy the optical drive version, you are forced to play it off the disk and then if you do

digital downloads that is great but if you replace your hard drive in the PS4, you then have to redownload all that.

yeah dude not great at all.

The PS4 really sounds disappointing.  

1) Installing an external hard drive is superior in this case.  You don't lose your games, you add to them. 

2) The Xbox One has a compressed format that is downloaded in a compress form and installed in a compressed form on the hard drive, this means it's faster to download and it takes up a lot less space on your hard drive.

Installing to the hard drive allows there to be less load times and faster game play than running off of a bluray disk and also allows much quieter operation and allows the developer to easily make changes to the game on the hard drive.

I think you have it wrong, both PS4 and XB1 require HDD installs.

Posted

Yeah i'm sure PS4 is install.

Posted

I don't see the big deal with upgradeable HD but at least PS4 has the option for more space on the PS4. Wait...so if you can't install games on a PS4, what's the point of having the ability to connect an external HD? Eh oh well.

Listen to music, watch movies and TV shows etc.

Posted

I can't install PS4 games to the HDD? 

I honestly think I'm retracting my PS4 purchase. Have they done anything other than boost the specs?

2 people like this

Posted

I can't install PS4 games to the HDD? 

I honestly think I'm retracting my PS4 purchase. Have they done anything other than boost the specs?

I couldn't believe it was true of the PS3 either when I just got my first a couple months ago o.o

I'd hope you can, but I haven't read up on it.

Posted

Surely loading data from a USB hard drive, even a USB 3.0 one, would be slow? Especially if it's a cheap drive/controller.

Posted

Surely loading data from a USB hard drive, even a USB 3.0 one, would be slow? Especially if it's a cheap drive/controller.

Purely the opposite, USB 3.0 is faster than the hard drive at 5Gbit/s.

2 people like this

Posted

You sure about that?

Yeh I agree - I buy a console and i expect it to come with the space it needs.  500gb is more than enough!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0