ps4 sony playstation

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:54

Knowing Sony

Don't ever say that as that makes you look like the ultimate fanboy, no offense. Sony have done enough wrong in the past, just like their competitors.

And yes, you can swap a harddrive fairly easily on the PS3 with another drive, but if you want your data from the previous other harddrive, you'll have to open it up to swap it out again and that's a hassle many don't want as they have their consoles stuck in position in a piece of television furniture (like me). Thus returning to the inconvenience of first having to back everything up on an external drive and recopying it back on the newer/larger installed drive to avoid that. With the Xbox One that is unnecessary as you just simply plug in an external drive, XFAT format it and then it's usable for all Xbox related stuff.

#122 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:08

To summarise, I never said HDD's don't fail because that would be silly. Also there's a large difference between a hard-drive failing in a PC rather than a consumer device like an Xbox.

What I said was that MS shouldn't be worried that there's going to be a large failure rate to an internal HDD that can't be swapped. 

On a side note, I can't believe this thread is still going.

That is ridiculous.  Is there some advanced HDD tech in these consoles that are not available to computers?  When I had to replace my PS3 drive....YES it died so I decided to put a SSD in there....it had a standard Seagate drive in it.

Mechanical HDDs are Mechanical HDDs.  These consoles do not have some super awesome never failing HDDs tech because any form of HDDs can fail.  Any form of electronics can fail.  Just because you have HDDs from the year 2000 does not mean HDDs cannot fail.  I had one fail one month after purchasing, and I have one that is 10 years old.

#123 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:35

That is ridiculous.  Is there some advanced HDD tech in these consoles that are not available to computers?  When I had to replace my PS3 drive....YES it died so I decided to put a SSD in there....it had a standard Seagate drive in it.

Mechanical HDDs are Mechanical HDDs.  These consoles do not have some super awesome never failing HDDs tech because any form of HDDs can fail.  Any form of electronics can fail.  Just because you have HDDs from the year 2000 does not mean HDDs cannot fail.  I had one fail one month after purchasing, and I have one that is 10 years old.

A PC always works from its HDD, a console does not.

#124 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:40

Don't ever say that as that makes you look like the ultimate fanboy, no offense.

Fanboy of who exactly?  :huh: 

Sony have done enough wrong in the past, just like their competitors.

And that's exactly what I meant: knowing Sony (eg. their obnoxious proprietary memory sticks and UMD for the PSP) it's actually surprising and pro-consumer that they didn't play a similar stunt with the PS hard drive.

#125 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:41

A PC always works from its HDD, a console does not.

It does not matter.  Any....ANY usage on the disk could make it fail.  There are hard drives that die one month after purchase, and there are hard drives that have lasted decades.  Even if they are used in PCs.  It does not matter.  A console is no different, no matter how little the disk IO is.

And what if you have all of your games downloaded on the drive?  Then it will operate like a PC because it is loading the game data from the disk.

#126 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:42

It does not matter.  Any....ANY usage on the disk could make it fail.  There are hard drives that die one month after purchase, and there are hard drives that have lasted decades.  Even if they are used in PCs.  It does not matter.  A console is no different, no matter how little the disk IO is.

So you're telling me if one device has a higher disk io than the other they both have the same percentage to fail? Ok then.

#127 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:45

So you're telling me if one device has a higher disk io than the other they both have the same percentage to fail? Ok then.

Then explain to me how one hard drive in a PC can only last one month, and another can last 10 years?  IT DOES NOT MATTER.  There is no guarantee lifespan of hard drives.

#128 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:46

Then explain to me how one hard drive in a PC can only last one month, and another can last 10 years?  IT DOES NOT MATTER.  There is no guarantee lifespan of hard drives.

Welcome to probability, you must be new.

HDD failure rates decrease every year.

#129 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:58

As stated several times in this thread you don't have to re-download nor reinstall any of your games when swapping drives, though.

Has this been confirmed because I seriously doubt this.  I have heard that while you play your disk games they copy the contents in the background on the part that you are not playing to the HDD.

Also, how do you not have to download digital downloads?

#130 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:16

Welcome to probability, you must be new.

HDD failure rates decrease every year.

That was exactly my point.  A hard drive in a console is no more reliable than a hard drive in a PC.  Unless there is some amazing technology only available to consoles that makes their specific set of hard drives more reliable than any other hard drive on the market.  A hard drive in one PC is no more reliable than a hard drive in another PC.  Hard drives can start failing any time.  There is no guarantee lifespan.

If you take a look at the Google Hard Drive Study, the failure rate actually decreases after about three months then it increases again a year or two later.

#131 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:22

From the X1 silicon talks it looked like it was backed up by a 8GB flash section so that might actually keep HD usage and heat down.  So it might, in some circumstances.

A hard drive in a console is no more reliable than a hard drive in a PC.

#132 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:37

It is. Read the OP.

I don't understand. We've known for some time you can't install games to an ext. HDD on the PS4.

#133 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:32

I don't understand. We've known for some time you can't install games to an ext. HDD on the PS4.

I had not seen that confirmed before.  I know it was something I had been wondering about.  All I knew was that the ps3 didn't allow for it.  The 360 got the option a while back. 

#134 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:17

I am sure I read it before because I looked it up to confirm in for another post. Trying to search on Google only shows the latest results but some posts refer to an earlier time when we knew this.

#135 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:49

I had not seen that confirmed before.  I know it was something I had been wondering about.  All I knew was that the ps3 didn't allow for it.  The 360 got the option a while back. 

Same with me. I had only read about swappable internal drive.