Windows 8.1 Did Microsoft miss their last chance?

Is Microsoft loosing it?

I don't think so. I think they're trying to find their voice in this generation because they realized that they couldn't continue to do the same things that made them successful in the 90s.

Having used both 8 and 8.1 are great, just because some so called nerds can't handle some change doesn't change that, Metro apps are fairly useful and practical also, again people are hating change for the sake of hating on it, NO ONE has brought up a legitimate issue with the changes, they are all personal gripes because again so called nerds are scared of change 

Please.

There are two years worth of posts from people who have brought up legitimate issues with Windows 8 that have nothing to do with being scared of change. You just choose to ignore it because it would mean that you would have to admit that there are flaws to something that you think is great. I mean, I hope you're not suggesting that Windows 8 is perfect. It also appears that you're trying to pass your opinion off as fact.Nice try.  

I definitely see 8.1 bringing some needed tweaks to 8.  In general, I feel that Microsoft should've gave people who are installing Windows 8 an option to have Modern UI on or off.  For example, ask the user if they have a touchscreen computer.  If they say yes, you get Modern UI along with the desktop.  If you say no, you get the desktop and Modern UI gone/turned off/disabled.    I don't think that would've been that hard for Microsoft to do.  I feel that would've pretty much silenced the Windows 8 critics.  For my personal Windows 8 experience, I use Start8 and ModernMix by Stardock and I'm comfortable with using Windows 8.  I don't care for the Modern UI in the desktop environment. 

Have a better multi tasking that has been familiar to me since time immemorial.

I'm just shocked people are asking for better multi tasking on a desktop OS... it should be at the forefront of any OS, massive fail.

Slightly off topic, but as i read this post i also read this on Facebook.. it may seem a little ignorance but it shows you general frustrations when doing simple tasks for the non tech people who are using W8. (excuse the bad Geordie language)

gk9VihI0lo.png

• Like 2

There are two years worth of posts from people who have brought up legitimate issues with Windows 8.

For every legitimate issue that's been raised there are at least a dozen illegitimate complaints most of which are entirely petty. The Win8 hatred is so overblown that it's become comical and makes it harder for anyone (especially MS) to focus on resolving the real issues. 

But why bother when the GUI still exists? You can still create system images, the link is now within file history (lower left):

sq5s7k.png

When did Microsoft add that back? I'm using the Windows 8.1 Preview and that option is definitely NOT there.

MS isnt going to make things more non touch friendly.  They think that touch is going to be the only thing in the near future and that keyboards are going away.  Not surprising they are ignore users who request more desktop friendly features.

If anyone hasnt already realized this over the years, its Microsoft's way or no way at all.

Plenty of improvements for desktop users :)

its Microsoft's way or no way at all.

If that were true you wouldn't be able to change it to, well, your way. It's just an out of the box setup that can still be overridden, just like every version of Windows that came before, and pretty much just like every other desktop OS out there. I'm not a big fan of the Modern stuff myself, but 10 seconds and a couple of clicks, presto, I get it the way I want it. "No way at all" is a bit of a stretch.

If that were true you wouldn't be able to change it to, well, your way. It's just an out of the box setup that can still be overridden, just like every version of Windows that came before, and pretty much just like every other desktop OS out there. I'm not a big fan of the Modern stuff myself, but 10 seconds and a couple of clicks, presto, I get it the way I want it. "No way at all" is a bit of a stretch.

True but there are more users who don't know how to do that then users who do.

True but there are more users who don't know how to do that then users who do.

Pretty sure even the most clueless of user knows how to bring up a search engine, if they can't then they have bigger issues. "Remove start screen" or "disable metro" for example brings up tons of answers, most of which are extremely simple to perform, literally completed in seconds. Download, click click done. Probably the only OS that lets you make a major change in to how to interact with the desktop in so few steps.

People need to show just a hint of initiative before complaining about not having something delivered exactly the way they want out of the box. It just doesn't work that way... different people are going to want different things, it's impossible to make everybody happy at the same time.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on 3 office PCs and whoever uses it says "That's it? They worked one whole year to just add that start button and eyesore of a wallpaper?" That has been the reaction so far.

The only good thing they said was that they could shut down PC in 2 clicks and avoid those mouse gymnastics as they did previously with Windows 8.

Pretty sure even the most clueless of user knows how to bring up a search engine, if they can't then they have bigger issues. "Remove start screen" or "disable metro" for example brings up tons of answers, most of which are extremely simple to perform, literally completed in seconds. Download, click click done. Probably the only OS that lets you make a major change in to how to interact with the desktop in so few steps.

People need to show just a hint of initiative before complaining about not having something delivered exactly the way they want out of the box. It just doesn't work that way... different people are going to want different things, it's impossible to make everybody happy at the same time.

You are giving a lot of users to much credit.  Most just use it as is and deal with the problems and learn to use what is new.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on 3 office PCs and whoever uses it says "That's it? They worked one whole year to just add that start button and eyesore of a wallpaper?" That has been the reaction so far.

The only good thing they said was that they could shut down PC in 2 clicks and avoid those mouse gymnastics as they did previously with Windows 8.

That's my other beef with Windows 8 is the "Shut down" that isn't really a shutdown, but more of a hibernation hybrid" .. People who "Shut down their computers" every night often run into the problems, and they wonder why, because to them their computer hasn't been running for days on end, they did what they think is the equivalent of a restart everyday, when they actually haven't.

You are giving a lot of users to much credit.  Most just use it as is and deal with the problems and learn to use what is new.

I personally wouldn't think (or at least hope) that "thinking for yourself" would be giving too much credit, but maybe I'm just a bit pickier about who I associate with, even my daughter who's only 6 tries to at least figure things out for herself. (Who by the way mastered the "intricacies" of the modern UI in about 3 minutes.) Those in that "just deal with it" category would do just that then regardless, that's their choice then, still not a "Microsoft's way or no way" situation though, not doing anything was their choice. I'm not a big fan of the Modern UI myself, but I have zero sympathy for somebody who's so apathetic that they can't be bothered to at least put a tiny bit of effort into something that they think should be different, especially when it's so easy to do.

When did Microsoft add that back? I'm using the Windows 8.1 Preview and that option is definitely NOT there.

I never liked it anyway. I use Macrium Reflect Free. I move lots of personal folders around, some things that are seen as startup I install on other drives and Microsoft's system backup will force you to image these drives as well with no option to uncheck. Hate it. Plus Reflect uses Win PE 4.0 for boot disk with full GUI and drag and drop UI. Love it.

I never liked it anyway. I use Macrium Reflect Free. I move lots of personal folders around, some things that are seen as startup I install on other drives and Microsoft's system backup will force you to image these drives as well with no option to uncheck. Hate it. Plus Reflect uses Win PE 4.0 for boot disk with full GUI and drag and drop UI. Love it.

I used to use Norton Ghost but found the system imager built into Windows 7 and onwards to be perfectly adequate for my needs. It's been a huge time saver on numerous occasions.

Keep in mind that Win8.1 is still part of the Ballmer era. Whoever the next CEO is, hopefully he has a developer or software UX background that actually understands the direction in which Windows 9 needs to take in order to undo some of the drastic changes brought by Win8. Modern UI is here to stay, especially after seeing Android going Holo and iOS7 going flat no-gradient icons. OSX will most likely get a similar design makeover next year to mimic the iOS7 changes. The lack of excessive eye candy that we had with aero transparency and shadows makes it quite pleasant to use and easier on my eyes. 

But I still believe opening a program is needlessly complicated without the old style vertical list start menu, making this my #1 complaint about Windows right now. The start screen that shows the apps are now less intrusive since you can disable it from opening on boot and I still sort of hate the gesture delays, but the apps are indeed nice to grab quick bits of info like the weather, sports, etc. Rest of the OS, especially performance, feels a lot snappier and refined than Win7.

Disclosure: I use OSX as my main and Win7 rarely on a VM for the past year. So I haven't really touched Win8 or 8.1 until now.

I've actually made the move to ModernUI Mail. There's enough functionality now for me to use it for personal and remote use. Anticipating 8.1. Now, I need to be able to autostart ModernUI apps - oversight? Granted, I rarely need to restart so it's not "that" big of a deal, but it is.

Looks like when I give up Start8 I'll be looking for a utility to start ModernUI apps. :/

Edit: The mail move may not last long. While you can search just fine, you can't perform any actions other than reply/forward on results. Can't select them all, move, or delete search results. That's just boneheaded.

I find it funny that people think a new CEO is going to somehow drastically change the direction Windows is going.  Whoever the new boss is modern ui and modern apps are here to stay.

I personally wouldn't think (or at least hope) that "thinking for yourself" would be giving too much credit, but maybe I'm just a bit pickier about who I associate with, even my daughter who's only 6 tries to at least figure things out for herself. (Who by the way mastered the "intricacies" of the modern UI in about 3 minutes.) Those in that "just deal with it" category would do just that then regardless, that's their choice then, still not a "Microsoft's way or no way" situation though, not doing anything was their choice. I'm not a big fan of the Modern UI myself, but I have zero sympathy for somebody who's so apathetic that they can't be bothered to at least put a tiny bit of effort into something that they think should be different, especially when it's so easy to do.

So you dont associate with people who dont think like you do?  Odd.

Anyway, you think a certain way and therefor you bring your kids up the same way.  Lots just use the system as is and don't know about the extra tools/programs you can download.  You do, and many others do but doesnt mean everyone does or should know.  People have different interests and may know a lot in one area/field but not so much in others.  At work, almost weekly I hear someone complaining about Win8 and how they dont like it. I tell them you can download replacement start menus and they are like "Really?"

So you dont associate with people who dont think like you do?  Odd.

No, I generally try not to associate with people who don't think, period. Are you saying you generally can't even be bothered to even check if something is possible or not before ruling it out? Not even a teeny tiny bit curious? I don't know about you, but I generally point people to a search engine if they got a question.

You do, and many others do but doesnt mean everyone does or should know.

And as you mentioned, they either 1) look it up to see if something exists, or 2) they're ok with it and plod on. But that's still neither here nor there, the option exists, contrary to "Microsoft's way or no way." If somebody can't take the time to actually look, well, that's on them. I absolutely positively hate the new versions of Nautilus on many of the latest Linux desktops with a passion. I could either learn to deal with it and move on, or I can hit up a search engine and find out how to replace it, which I did. As much as I detest the thing, I don't sit there and try and tell people that it's Gnome's way or no way, cry about how they should give me the option to use the older menus or file manager, it's the Gnome people shoving bad decisions down my throat or how they're eventually going to ditch the desktop for a tablet oriented UI. That's just silly, sucks yes, but you change it or you don't. But since it's Microsoft...

I tell them you can download replacement start menus and they are like "Really?"

And for your next amazing trick, show them how to spell Google, or Bing if that's too long for them. You'd be amazed what you can learn if you take a few seconds to actually check, or even how you can change/replace all sorts of things Windows.. even *gasp* Win 8.