Photo

Windows 8.1 Did Microsoft miss their last chance?

win8

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:18

Im hoping Windows 9 brings to the table two distinct and separate operating systems. 
One for tablets with Metro and a upgraded desktop version. 

#17 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:22

8.1 is just a polish of 8. If you really chose to hate 8, then 8.1 isn't going to magically change your mind unless you really, really wanted a start button sprite in the bottom left of your screen.

Has MS lost it? I don't think so. Will people continue to moan? Undoubtedly.

#18 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:27

Im hoping Windows 9 brings to the table two distinct and separate operating systems. 
One for tablets with Metro and a upgraded desktop version.

Personally I'd rather see it as an optional in the "programs and features" area of the control panel. Separate SKU's just muddle things up, make it an option so if you want it it's there, if not you get the old desktop with no extras on top of it. On my x86 based tablet I would definitely want it, on my development desktop I'd want it, on my daughter's desktop I'd use it since it's dead easy for her, on my regular desktop not so much. I'm totally ok with doing it myself with whatever third party replacement but an option would be nice. Would cut down on a lot of forum drama too, although they'd probably be called desperate for doing that too.

#19 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:34

You guys can't be serious.  If 8.1 is NOT feature ready by now, it will just be a severely rushed release.  You do not add new features to something you will be releasing in a couple of months.  

All that will happen between now and October will be just patches and small fixes.  Not major features.

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:39

How is the start button "fake"? :laugh:

#21 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:47

Having used both 8 and 8.1 are great, just because some so called nerds can't handle some change doesn't change that, Metro apps are fairly useful and practical also, again people are hating change for the sake of hating on it, NO ONE has brought up a legitimate issue with the changes, they are all personal gripes because again so called nerds are scared of change 

#22 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:48

How is the start button "fake"? :laugh:

It doesn't work like the old useless menu button so fake nerds call it fake 

#23 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:55

RTM is done,  we'll see patches/updates to apps and whatever the OEMs find that needs fixing but that's it.  Features are done, and honestly from having used it on a tablet is a great update there, once the updated core apps come out it makes it very good for those devices.  On the desktop, I don't mind the start screen, it's there to start apps, I'm in the desktop running desktop apps 98% of the time though I have some handy metro apps open as well, like Watchlist so I can keep track of the shows I watch, better than doing some sort of manual text file or w/e.  

Have they lost it, no, the market is speaking but some people don't want to listen or admit it.  Computing is going mobile, more and more, metro is here to stay, the UI is here to stay though they'll keep updating it and making it better.  As for the Desktop?  It's at it's end, there's few things one can do to it in any major way to make traditionalists happy.  8.0 brought good native multimonitor updates to the OS that people wanted,  8.1 advanced that with automatic scaling of the UI for different screens.  It honestly seems to me now that what the "desktop" users want is to see metro apps on the desktop in windows and on the taskbar.  Will MS do that in 8.2 or 9?  Who knows?  One thing I can bet for sure is that the two UIs will merge more, so in that sense windowed metro apps could happen.  Are they going to split it off though or let you turn it off, no, they're not.    I'd like to see them offer to manage desktop apps as well, not just list them, though the listing for desktop apps is free.   Charge a tiny fee and let people update/upgrade their desktop apps like they update metro apps and that'd be something new.

#24 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 13:58

sanke1, on 01 Sept 2013 - 12:49, said:sanke1, on 01 Sept 2013 - 12:49, said:

All I see is a fake Start button, few customizations of themes and some better reorganization of newer control panel.

If that's all you really see, and are indeed completely oblivious to all the other significant changes that are also present in the 8.1. Preview, here's some advice:

Learn to use the "Modern UI".

#25 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:05

You guys can't be serious.  If 8.1 is NOT feature ready by now, it will just be a severely rushed release.  You do not add new features to something you will be releasing in a couple of months.  

All that will happen between now and October will be just patches and small fixes.  Not major features.

who says the features are not ready? they just could be not included in the builds released to partners. it makes a whole lot of sense since they are not even releasing the rtm to msdn/technet users.

#26 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:08

I bet the "real" RTM of 8.1 will see the return of the Start Menu… ;)

#27 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:16

I bet the "real" RTM of 8.1 will see the return of the Start Menu… ;)

The Start menu has been there the whole time, it's not called the Start Screen, get used to it, it works perfectly fine

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:17

I'm not sure what a fake Start button is. It looks nice. The Start Menu is still gone. Start8 was great, but with 8.1 I think I'm ready to let the old Start Menu go now that Search has been improved.

ModernUI apps, when apps I need and well designed are growing on me. I like Snap views. For desktop apps resizable windows have their place, but desktop apps really don't scale. ModernUI apps that are well deigned actually have functional snap views (orientation). I like that. It actually presents and opportunity for superior multitasking, if not windowing. Is Win32 Windowing just and organized mess, or actually usable window management. I think ModernUI better supports actually productive multitasking if the apps have well though out and implemented Snap Views.

With Windows 8 RTM, I understand the resistance. Given what was implemented, it should have been resisted. With the changes in 8.1, I think most of it now actually "is" just a resistance to change.

There's till room for improvement and I would like to see the ability to share data between ModernUI and Win32 apps. And of course, more significant ModernUI applications with well designed UIs and Snap Views. Things are actually looking pretty good IMO. Long way to go, but significant progress has been made in the year since the awful initial RTM.

#29 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:19

The Start menu has been there the whole time, it's not called the Start Screen, get used to it, it works perfectly fine

Don't really have a use for the Start Screen and don't feel like managing which apps to put on there. I've set the Start Button to go to the 'all apps' view in 8.1 instead. With the addition of the search sidebar in 8.1 I've now uninstalled Start8.

#30 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:19

As for the Desktop?  It's at it's end, there's few things one can do to it in any major way to make traditionalists happy. 

You had me up until this.

I'll consider this when, just for starters:

• RSAT runs in ModernUI with no compromise
  • Call of Duty is native to ModernUI
  • Any Batman Arkham game is native to ModernUI
  • Office is native to ModernUI
  • Adobe CS runs native to ModernUI
  • File Manger ModernUI is equally capable as File Manager Desktop
  • You can drag/drop between ModernUI apps
  • Media Center is native to ModernUI
  • iTunes is native to ModernUI
  • File History is native to ModernUI