Photo

Windows 8.1 Did Microsoft miss their last chance?

win8

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 Ace

Ace

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:44

Windows Image based system recovery has been removed from GUI. Now I have to pass some obscure DOS based commands. 

DOS hasn't been included with Windows for a very long time now.

#32 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:57

You had me up until this.

I'll consider this when, just for starters:

• RSAT runs in ModernUI with no compromise
  • Call of Duty is native to ModernUI
  • Any Batman Arkham game is native to ModernUI
  • Office is native to ModernUI
  • Adobe CS runs native to ModernUI
  • File Manger ModernUI is equally capable as File Manager Desktop
  • You can drag/drop between ModernUI apps
  • Media Center is native to ModernUI
  • iTunes is native to ModernUI
  • File History is native to ModernUI
  • Hyper-V Manger is native to ModernUI

He didn't say it's no longer useful, just that there are very few significant improvements that are left to be made to it.  The desktop environment works perfectly (yes, even in Windows 8.x) and doesn't require a whole new feature pack to improve the way it works.

BTW, I would love a Modern version of Media Centre and really struggle to understand why MS haven't already created one.

#33 OP +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:57

DOS hasn't been included with Windows for a very long time now.

Command Prompt or Powershell

#34 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:07

As for the Desktop?  It's at it's end, there's few things one can do to it in any major way to make traditionalists happy. 

I hope I'm misunderstanding you here?

Do you mean to say that you think the desktop is going the way of the dodo? If so, I'll tell ya, I'm a huge fan of Windows 8, I'm a fan of the modern UI and i love the unified direction that MS are going in BUT the desktop isn't going any where and neither do i want it to. I still stay in the desktop environment 90% of the time for work and it's functions and usability for content creation still far out way anything that Modern UI brings to the table and i'd say the Modern UI is still a long way off getting anything any where near as efficient as the desktop.

#35 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:21

Windows 8.1 looks pretty good to me. I'm one of the people who stuck with Windows 7, and I was really excited about Windows 8.

With that said, I haven't actually used 8.1, but will definitely try it and hopefully stick with it.

#36 sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:22

i guess you didnt get the memo that rtm is not the finished version of 8.1

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but RTM means Release to Manufacturers. Meaning there are no big changes coming to the update. If any changes are made it will be small bug patches, etc.

#37 guru

guru

||guru||

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:23

Win 8.1

• polished up core modern apps,
  • provided a less jarring start screen with the common wallpaper
  • better start screen organization
  • Modern control panel with all the features of a desktop one
  • If you didnt like Modern / metro then boot to desktop option

This to me is what Win8 should have been. oh well, atleast MS has cleaned up its act within a year

having said that, There is still no Tabbed Explorer, IE - extension support / rational extension model

#38 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:28

I hope I'm misunderstanding you here?
Do you mean to say that you think the desktop is going the way of the dodo? If so, I'll tell ya, I'm a huge fan of Windows 8, I'm a fan of the modern UI and i love the unified direction that MS are going in BUT the desktop isn't going any where and neither do i want it to. I still stay in the desktop environment 90% of the time for work and it's functions and usability for content creation still far out way anything that Modern UI brings to the table and i'd say the Modern UI is still a long way off getting anything any where near as efficient as the desktop.

I am guessing he meant that desktop can only be improved so much.

#39 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:30

To answer the thread: No.

#40 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:46

Their last chance for what? Do you think putting the start menu back in would magically push Windows 8 ahead of all other OS's?

#41 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:48

8.1 is an olive branch for me after the rough start and questionable direction of 8's release.  I'm actually happy on the areas they have, as well as have not, compromised.

For example, I'm not wed to the Start Menu per se.  8.1 brings some pretty critical changes for those looking for get that functionality back.  They didn't just throw in the towel without ever trying to make it work in the new format.

Even better, it has been an general vindication for many posters on many issues we've been arguing about for over a year.  Those harassing and 'teaching' were just so very wrong.

#42 DrCheese

DrCheese

Tell me i'm your national anthem

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:49

Any fixes between RTM and GA will be updates to modern UI apps. The desktop experience will remain as it is - half-assed on non-touch devices.

It's half assed on touch devices as well. Using 8.1 on our surface RT's at work is painful.

#43 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 01 September 2013 - 15:59

He didn't say it's no longer useful, just that there are very few significant improvements that are left to be made to it.  The desktop environment works perfectly (yes, even in Windows 8.x) and doesn't require a whole new feature pack to improve the way it works.

BTW, I would love a Modern version of Media Centre and really struggle to understand why MS haven't already created one.

Now see, I tend to agree with you. There are some improvements that can be made, sharing data with ModernUI is one of them ;), but what he said was:

It's at it's end

Now, if he meant, what you said, and not what Dot Matrix usually implies, then OK, we're all in relative agreement :D

PS: How fantastic would ModernUI Media Center be? So fantastic, there's no way it's going to happen, lol. BTW, 2012 Server Manger & RSAT for Windows 8 is a great illustration of ModernUI-like UX in Win32 that really works well. The Server team is awesome. I think I've said that before.

#44 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:25

so what the new meaning of "RTM" moniker ?

Re-Tarded-Microsoft ?

#45 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 September 2013 - 16:38

I am guessing he meant that desktop can only be improved so much.

This is exactly what I meant, it's updated out, I mean what more can you add to it really?  Sure you can polish it up with newer icons and so on but as far as big major new features?  I think 8.1s adding auto scaling for multiple res screens is one of the very last big updates we're going to see to the desktop.   That's just the fact of things, it's been updated and added to for 20+ years, it's as mature as it's going to be.    And no, I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!