Photo

Windows 8.1 Did Microsoft miss their last chance?

win8

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:23

Few days ago, I installed Windows 8.1 RTM like a starved tech child. I also managed to activate it with my previous upgrade key. All fine and dandy. 

All I see is a fake Start button, few customizations of themes and some better reorganization of newer control panel.

But 90% desktop users request goes ignored. That is Modern apps on Desktop Taskbar. Ability to freely resize them to my liking. Have a better multi tasking that has been familiar to me since time immemorial.

As a result I have still not been able to adapt to modern apps. I don't use them as desktop based apps are so much superior with better multi tasking.

Windows Image based system recovery has been removed from GUI. Now I have to pass some obscure DOS based commands. To me Microsoft is fixing what ain't broken. 

I also did not like the blatantly desperate attempt to display "you can download apps from our app store" in biggest font possible at post install. 

All this makes me feel that Microsoft is getting more and more arrogant and then they backtrack due to public backlash. 

Fun fact: Windows Blue RTM has yellow as default wallpaper.

Feel free to chip in your thoughts about Windows 8.1

Is Microsoft loosing it?

Thank You !  I'm a bit confused on the market MS is trying to appeal too. At first it appeared it was the changing of the guard, from desktop/laptops point and click to tablet and phone touch screens. It doesn't appear MS has been successful with the exception of making anybody who buys new computers at BestBuy and other outlets forced in having Windows 8 pre-installed. A foiled attempt at challenging Android and Apple in the marketplace is failing. Whats really sad is the loss of revenue MS has/will lose in selling Windows 8 to businesses. It's not going to happen. Us old timers will continue to use our desktops and laptops and use Windows 7. It all could have been avoided if MS would of advertised and presented to the public Windows 8 as being a variant, or different flavor, geared towards the touchscreen user on tablets and wireless phones, and not a primary upgrade to Windows 7 and traditional home and business users. "Fail"

#92 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:27

Few days ago, I installed Windows 8.1 RTM like a starved tech child. I also managed to activate it with my previous upgrade key. All fine and dandy. 

All I see is a fake Start button, few customizations of themes and some better reorganization of newer control panel.

But 90% desktop users request goes ignored. That is Modern apps on Desktop Taskbar. Ability to freely resize them to my liking. Have a better multi tasking that has been familiar to me since time immemorial.

As a result I have still not been able to adapt to modern apps. I don't use them as desktop based apps are so much superior with better multi tasking.

Windows Image based system recovery has been removed from GUI. Now I have to pass some obscure DOS based commands. To me Microsoft is fixing what ain't broken. 

I also did not like the blatantly desperate attempt to display "you can download apps from our app store" in biggest font possible at post install. 

All this makes me feel that Microsoft is getting more and more arrogant and then they backtrack due to public backlash. 

Fun fact: Windows Blue RTM has yellow as default wallpaper.

Feel free to chip in your thoughts about Windows 8.1
Is Microsoft loosing it?

I stopped at "loosing"....

#93 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:45

They addressed few of the actual complaints. In my experience dealing with members of the public, in fact, everything that peed them off about 8 was still present in 8.1, thankfully StartIsBack has been adapted to work on 8.1

#94 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:50

It doesn't work like the old useless menu button so fake nerds call it fake 

I just want to say I'm impressed at how personal this is for you.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!