I have been using Mac OSX for last 5-6 years and now I'm planning to shift. My Macbook Pro's logic board died and it will cost me about 600$ to replace it and will just have 3 months of warranty from Apple so I'm looking to buy a new laptop/tablet all together.
I'm really impressed with Microsoft's surface and Windows 8.1 looks like a solid update for me. I have the following usage:
* Twitter Clients/Web Browsing
* Microsoft Office including Outlook
* Watch movies/listen to music. Sync the same to my devices (WP8, iPad and Android)
* Download the above
My work only involves using Microsoft Office since I'm a lawyer by profession.
I have the following questions:
1) Good idea to go with WinRT model? or its practically dead and so my investment will be dead. I realize that there is a major lack of apps and most of them don't run in the background which i need for torrenting. I also feel that the desktop part of the OS is useless since only metro apps run and doesn't require desktop UI. Is it a bigger version of Windows Phone 8 practically?
2) Do all apps on Windows Store run on RT or only selected apps run on RT from the entire lot?
3) If not WinRT model, i can definitely pick the WinPro model since it feels solid but will it last me for two years at least?
My biggest concern is that Microsoft might abandon their hardware since that's what happened with ZuneHD (I loved mine btw) so is it sensible to pick
In your opinion do you guys think new Surface RT and Pro will be released by end of this year and I should wait since only 3-4 months are left before this year ends.