Good idea to invest in Microsoft Surface?

Hey!

I have been using Mac OSX for last 5-6 years and now I'm planning to shift. My Macbook Pro's logic board died and it will cost me about 600$ to replace it and will just have 3 months of warranty from Apple so I'm looking to buy a new laptop/tablet all together. 

I'm really impressed with Microsoft's surface and Windows 8.1 looks like a solid update for me. I have the following usage:

* Twitter Clients/Web Browsing 

* Microsoft Office including Outlook

* Watch movies/listen to music. Sync the same to my devices (WP8, iPad and Android)

* Download the above

My work only involves using Microsoft Office since I'm a lawyer by profession. 

I have the following questions:

1) Good idea to go with WinRT model? or its practically dead and so my investment will be dead. I realize that there is a major lack of apps and most of them don't run in the background which i need for torrenting. I also feel that the desktop part of the OS is useless since only metro apps run and doesn't require desktop UI. Is it a bigger version of Windows Phone 8 practically? 

2) Do all apps on Windows Store run on RT or only selected apps run on RT from the entire lot?

3) If not WinRT model, i can definitely pick the WinPro model since it feels solid but will it last me for two years at least? 

My biggest concern is that Microsoft might abandon their hardware since that's what happened with ZuneHD (I loved mine btw) so is it sensible to pick

In your opinion do you guys think new Surface RT and Pro will be released by end of this year and I should wait since only 3-4 months are left before this year ends. 

Thx 

I'd say 99.999999% of apps in the Store run on RT. The only one that I can think of that can't is Fresh Paint 8.1 RT on the 8.1 RT Preview.

I realized that there is no iTunes for WinRT which means if i ever pick iDevice, i will not be able to sync :/ 

Surface is not there yet. You will need to wait until Surface 3 comes out to see it a worth buying. The inky reason I got the Nexus 7 2013 because its only 200$. But if it was over $300 then I would never buy it. Not a fan of Windows RT apps. Its not like the WP8 app eco system. Don't like Android either.

The Surface RT is simply not a good tablet compared to the competitors out there (Nexus & iPad).

Don't waste your money on an RT, but consider the Pro if you don't mind the steep price.

Also, the 2nd gen Surfaces should be announced soon, so hold off on buying for a bit.

Surface is not there yet. You will need to wait until Surface 3 comes out to see it a worth buying. The inky reason I got the Nexus 7 2013 because its only 200$. But if it was over $300 then I would never buy it. Not a fan of Windows RT apps. Its not like the WP8 app eco system. Don't like Android either.

Surface 3? Do you mean surface 2?

I think the Surface isn't bad at all for it's price, but I do think we haven't really seen the Surface concept take off just yet, and besides that, there'll be a Surface 2 soon and more power is a very good thing for something like Windows RT to keep up, so I expect you'll see the original models become obsolete pretty quick. Can you be happy with what's available on it now and not want everything that's going to require the power of a Surface 2 as soon as it comes out?

Well, I'd get the Surface Pro, and it'd definitely be the new generation coming out later this year (not that I'm buying a tablet, but if I were, that'd be what I get). 

I have nothing against Windows RT - it's a nice little OS that fills it's niche well - content consumption is a pleasant experience. But the fact of the matter is that 8.1 Pro will just do more than RT, and will do more stuff better than RT. Also, the metro app model won't be dead on 8.1 pro.

But for you, I think RT might be all right, with the exception of iTunes and torrents - iTunes you could possibly replace with some sort of iCloud based solution, and I have no idea about torrenting (I don't torrent  :rofl:). If these two things don't matter to you that much - well wait until Surface 2 and the fabled Nokia tablet make their debuts. 

If they do matter, then I'd suggest waiting until the new Surface Pro comes. (And I'd suggest you get the more versatile OS anyway.)

But

I see you have a reasonably typing-heavy job. I'd suggest if you really want a Surface (or any tablet), you think about how you will be typing your Word documents as you seem to imply this will be your primary machine. Are you happy with the touch/type covers? Or would you prefer a full-size external keyboard? RT/Pro both support external keyboards, but at the cost of portability/convienience. If neither of those options appeal, I'd suggest a look at the new Lenovo Yoga or the Sony Multi-Flip Vaios when they come out - they're not quite as portable as a tablet, but they'll bring more functionality with many of the tablety things included. 

So in conclusion - wait. Wait until the new devices have come out, Anandtech has reviewed them, and you've had a chance to play with them, and ponder your iTunes/torrenting needs  :D

Surface 3? Do you mean surface 2?

Nope, Surface 2 will not not be worth buying if your going to get the RT version. The weight and thicken is no good enough for a tablet like iPad and Nexus 7. Surface 3 will be the only that Microsoft will get it right. Surface 2 will just be a faster version of the Surface RT thats it.

If (and only if) money's no object, it's obvious that the Pro is much more preferable over the RT, as it can run any plain ol' Windows app.  I have my Pro hooked up to a USB dock that lets me use my keyboard/mouse/Ethernet/3 monitors/external 5.1 speakers, and I'm using it essentially as a desktop replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI2UgP4MaoU

That being said, it's not the cheapest way to go about this.  However if you want both a standard Windows desktop/laptop replacement and have something more portable than a laptop, there's really nothing else out there IMO.

Before you buy a Surface, or any Windows 8 tablet, make sure you try it in a store and see if you are ok with using your finger interacting with Word. I bought a Surface Pro, returned it within 3 days, and exchanged it for an UltraBook. For me, I need a mouse and a larger screen. Sure, you could use a mouse with a Surface, but then, why not just get a superlight notebook computer? I have found that many people, myself included, get infatuated with tablets until they have to do serious work for any length of time. If you do end up going with a Surface, definitely get a keyboard, too.

PS. You're a lawyer. Get the Pro and buy Office. Business write-off if they allow that in India.