What would it take to waken the UK to liberty?

I thought the whole Monarchy thing is just more ceremonial these days, what with members of Parliment running things, does Liz even have any say on what goes on anymore?

It is, but the way some Brits and non Brits act about it you'd think it was the other way, especially crazy talk will come from Theyarecomingforyou here real soon to "refute" the truth

What would it take, do you think, to wake the people of the UK up to the realising of the value of liberty (and the willingness to be involved in taking it back)?

what liberty do Americans enjoy that people from England don't? you are meaning guns right? 

I am not sure what you mean by liberties but if you are talking about the government then everyone drinks the Kool-Aid. It does not really matter if you are happy with it. It does not make sense to complain and gripe when you do nothing about what you are not happy about. Be a leader, lead and try to make changes. The fact is everyone is too busy living life or trying to make a living and do not have the time to make changes. The only people who have time are those with money that do not have to make a living, politicians, lawyers and corporations. The most time people spend is listening to the lies from media and then ranting about it. We all live in this system and are content. We go home to our big screen TVs, video games, computers, whatever it is that we like. We complain when there are people who are far worse off then us. Freedom does not come free. Would you rather have your own little village and have no government or other services? Eventually another village will come over and take over your village. Eventually villages would get tired of it, come together, start a government, and implement services. Man kind has been there in the past and it has become what we have today. The question is how can it be better. How do you please millions of people under one roof? One person likes white painted fences and another likes plain wood fences. Everybody complains about something and wants something and it is all different then each other. We could learn to accept each other and let each other be who we want to be but can we? There are people who take it to the extreme. A person might find it acceptable to kill people. Should we let them be who they are or intervene? Who are we to decide? Who are they to decide? Maybe we should all get our own planet and be left alone. Truth is that we all need each other. We all need to get on the same page and work together. Make a better life for you. For me. For everyone. Problem is that man is greedy. As long as there is greed we will have these problems. I know this is a long crazy rant but it can encapsulate every conversation in this entire thread. From start to end. One big circle. Round and round we go. Without the U.K. the U.S. would not exist and I am sure it is the other way too.

It's a fairly self-explanatory title, really biggrin.gif

What would it take, do you think, to wake the people of the UK up to the realising of the value of liberty (and the willingness to be involved in taking it back)?

Please illuminate me on what rights the US citizens are taking back from their government? 

What specifically are you talking about?

I thought the whole Monarchy thing is just more ceremonial these days, what with members of Parliment running things, does Liz even have any say on what goes on anymore?

It largely is but there are little things like dissolving parliament/calling elections and signing off on new laws. 

Q: What are the powers?

In domestic matters, the Royal Prerogative covers

• the issuing and withdrawal of passports
  • the appointment and dismissal of ministers
  • the appointment of Queen's Counsel
  • the granting of honours
  • the appointment and regulation of the civil service
  • the commissioning of officers in the armed forces
  • the dissolution of Parliament
  • the calling of elections

In foreign affairs, it covers

• the declaration of war
  • the making of treaties
  • the recognition of foreign states
  • the accreditation of diplomats

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4267761.stm

I am not sure what you mean by liberties but if you are talking about the government then everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

By liberties what they mean is actually simple: British society isn't filled with gun toting wackos, and we have free healthcare, so we simply must be getting oppressed by our government.

I think it's going to take the destruction of society as we know it.

No because once anarchy sets in the people will look for someone to restore order which in turn leads to an oligarchy. Then you will have no freedom. 

By liberties what they mean is actually simple: British society isn't filled with gun toting wackos, and we have free healthcare, so we simply must be getting oppressed by our government.

Its not free and you do have your share of wackos though. 

It still costs less than the US system to implement, and has the distinct advantage that medical decisions get made by medical professionals with the health of their patient as a priority, rather than the health of their profit margin.

well I can walk on any side of the street - I ain't going to find a policeman telling me that this is the wrong side of the street - THE wrong side of the street for my colour - thats how liberated I am - I can be any colour I want and I can walk on any side of the street I want.

• 2 weeks later...

http://info.moneyweek.com/urgent-bulletins/the-end-of-britain/

They had an interesting take on things.

They do, but a lot of what is said in that article is easily debunked by an angry Yorkshireman with a computer, an internet connection, and plenty of time on his hands... http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/moneyweek-and-their-end-of-britain.html

lol - people don't give a **** about keeping their leaders accountable. The only thing you might see is a bunch of politically naive people protesting and shouting obnoxious, and usually factually incorrect. slogans. E.G. "No blood for oil!" (Ignore the fact that the U.S. gets most of its oil from Canada and Latin America).

In Australia we just elected one of the greatest political buffoons of all time and I think we're all going to suffer because of it.