#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 01 September 2013 - 22:42

Xbox One indie program will support free-to-play games, microtransactions

xbox-one-side-controler.jpg

Looking into Microsoft's ID@Xbox program for independent developers? You'll be happy to hear that the company won't be placing any restrictions on your desired distribution model. Speaking to Joystiq at PAX Prime, Microsoft portfolio director for digital games Chris Charla explained that independent developers are free to utilize "every business model that any other game on Xbox One has." This means that independent self-published games won't be restricted to a different price structure than games from mainstream studios, opening up the possibilities for indie games with premium pricing, micro-transactions or free-to-play models. Charla explained it as a fundamental tenet of the program, clarifying that ID@Xbox titles have access to all the same features as any other game. "They have full Gamerscore, full Achievements, can take advantage of SmartGlass, Kinect – if you can do it with an Xbox One game, you can do it with anything that comes through the ID@Xbox program." It's a smart policy, one that takes full advantage of the growing popularity of the indie gaming scene. Check out Joystiq for more PAX Prime coverage.

Source: Engadget

#2 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 01 September 2013 - 22:46

Not bad... Not bad at all...

#3 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:15

This is the kind of open ended policy that indie developers are looking for in these new consoles.  Both Sony and MS get that and that's why we see them both doing this. 

I hope the indie devs take advantage of it.  It would be nice to see more variety in that area.

#4 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:34

This makes me excited. I'm really looking forward to what some independent developers make on a powerful platform like this.

#5 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:01

Now allow us to publish emulators to the Xbox One and you win everything MS.

I'd love to see a Project64, a Dolphin and a PCSX/PCSX2 port and this would be a major hit to the competition if the games from their previous generations would work on the Xbox One.

There's also no properly working original Xbox emulators out there.

#6 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:06

I'd love to see a Project64, a Dolphin and a PCSX/PCSX2 port and this would be a major hit to the competition if the games from their previous generations would work on the Xbox One.

There's also no properly working original Xbox emulators out there, so very hard for the competition to do the same.

I imagine the problem with Emulators as it opens a world up for piracy. I'm sure it isn't that difficult but I certainly don't know how to backup old games to a useable format so I imagine a lot of people that do use them, download the games from torrent sites.

#7 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:08

There's also no properly working original Xbox emulators out there.

Considering emulators are common on WP8 and WP, I don't see why they wouldn't let them on the X1. The apps on W8 and WP8 can actually use skydrive to pull the roms down for the app. I've only just thought of this, please make emulators happen!

#8 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:10

somehow i bet this kind of "XB1 Freemium" will have less complain than Apple's App's Freemium.

#9 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:17

Considering emulators are common on WP8 and WP, I don't see why they wouldn't let them on the X1. The apps on W8 and WP8 can actually use skydrive to pull the roms down for the app. I've only just thought of this, please make emulators happenC

Can you imagine what a powerful blow it would be? If I could say I could play GameCube/Wii games and PS1/PS2 games on the Xbox One (and of course earlier platforms)...it would be a giant PITA for Nintendo and Sony and there's no proper Xbox emulators out there so much more time consuming for the competition to copy (Original Xbox emulation is apparently pretty hard to achieve too).

It's also great for the emulator programmers to focus on one platform, so optimization is easier to achieve. With the source for many emulators being open it could happen very quickly.

#10 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:20

Can you imagine what a powerful blow it would be? If I could say I could play GameCube/Wii games and PS1/PS2 games on the Xbox One (and of course earlier platforms)...it would be a giant PITA for Nintendo and Sony and there's no proper Xbox emulators out there so much more time consuming for the competition to copy (Original Xbox emulation is apparently pretty hard to achieve too).

It's also great for the emulator programmers to focus on one platform, so optimization is easier to achieve. With the source for many emulators being open it could happen very quickly.

I'm giddy. The idea of this and playing something like Mario 64 on the big screen.

#11 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:44

I'd love their to be emulators but unfortunately i think they'd open themselves up to all sorts of litigation from the original system creators.

#12 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 September 2013 - 13:35

I'd love their to be emulators but unfortunately i think they'd open themselves up to all sorts of litigation from the original system creators.

Imagine playing Nintendo's catalog on the X1... But MS writing one heck of a check to keep the lawyers out of this...

#13 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 13:36

Its actually legal to use a ROM if you actually own that game. For example, if you purchased Mario 64 back in the day and downloaded a ROM and played it. Its perfectly legal.

#14 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 September 2013 - 13:49

Its actually legal to use a ROM if you actually own that game. For example, if you purchased Mario 64 back in the day and downloaded a ROM and played it. Its perfectly legal.

That's is true...
Now imagine the headache in getting proof from gamers that they still own those games.. Especially cartridge based ones...

#15 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:14

Actually that's not true.  It's legal to use a ROM if you own the cartridge and RIP a ROM image straight from the cartridge you own.  You can't say "I owned it before so I'll just download it."  That's equivalent to saying I bought a Flock of Seagull tape in the 80's so I'm allowed to download those MP3s legally.

Whether the ROMs are attained from a legal means or not the policing and legal exposure are why it won't happen from big name consoles.