Photo
xbox one microsoft id@xbox indie

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2013 - 16:54

If you own and still have the cartridge, it is legal to use the ROM. That is it. I can see Nintendo/Sega making MS/Sony take down emulators though, legally.

#17 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Blu Win HD W510u

Posted 02 September 2013 - 17:41

If you own and still have the cartridge, it is legal to use the ROM. That is it. I can see Nintendo/Sega making MS/Sony take down emulators though, legally.

Again, no. A ROM is only legal if you rip it from a cartridge you own and only use it for your own personal use. ANY ROM you download is illegal.

#18 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 September 2013 - 17:54

Its actually legal to use a ROM if you actually own that game. For example, if you purchased Mario 64 back in the day and downloaded a ROM and played it. Its perfectly legal.

No, it isn't legal to download it, regardless of what the disclaimers say on the ROM websites.

#19 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:57

ROM image only legal if you:

A. Have your own cartridge AND

B. you extract the rom image from said cartridge AND

C. you must NOT share the extracted rom image to anyone.

Thats why 'downloading' is illegal.

Its better for cartridge owner to obtain rom cartridge extractor/reader devices.

The only way for rom downloading to be legal is for copyright owner give explicit permision to do so, like what Exidy doing.

#20 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:07

From Nintendo themselves

"Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet."

#21 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:37

Where are the same members complaining about F2P games on NW last month now? Maybe they've learnt, more games = good!

Funny how it only takes a different brand for people to see things positively.

#22 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:11

Where are the same members complaining about F2P games on NW last month now? Maybe they've learnt, more games = good!

Funny how it only takes a different brand for people to see things positively.

Yeah, if only more people took YOUR advise.  Positive MS news is negative because its MS and positive Sony news is negative because its Sony.

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:22

Yeah, if only more people took YOUR advise.  Positive MS news is negative because its MS and positive Sony news is negative because its Sony.

I think it's a pretty legitimate comparison to make tbh.

1 week I'm reading posts from fanboys that PC F2P games that are being ported to the PS4 are ###### and lower the quality/spam marketplace etc etc. But now they are coming to X1 it's brilliant news.

Of course I'm all for it on every platform, so this is a big win in my book :) I embraced F2P a long time ago and unlike others appreciate what they achieve and mean for the market. Unfortunately some will dismiss anything that doesn't come in a box, costs $60 or have Activision as a publisher.

#24 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:13

I think it's a pretty legitimate comparison to make tbh.

1 week I'm reading posts from fanboys that PC F2P games that are being ported to the PS4 are **** and lower the quality/spam marketplace etc etc. But now they are coming to X1 it's brilliant news.

Of course I'm all for it on every platform, so this is a big win in my book :) I embraced F2P a long time ago and unlike others appreciate what they achieve and mean for the market. Unfortunately some will dismiss anything that doesn't come in a box, costs $60 or have Activision as a publisher.

I think many people have that view of the term F2P because of the few crappy examples that seem to be more about extracting money via small payments then creating a compelling game.

There is a stigma that I see a lot that if a game is listed as F2P, its automatically crap.  For instance, when it was rumored that Killer Instinct was F2P, people bashed it left and right.  Now that has since turned out to be false, but you get the point.

Fundamentally, some people don't like the idea that they need to pay small bits over time to have all of the content in game or grind for hours to 'earn' it.  Many would prefer to have a single upfront price that gives them everything.

#25 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:06

There is room for both options to exist though. I know of many games which use the unlock method or allow you to buy the whole package. The problems start when you can buy items that give you advantage, but that is not always the case. People just presume it is and go on a witch hunt without any actual experience. Some of which were posting here last month :no: