2014 BMW i8

Cuckoo price.

New technologies don't come cheap. Ask Tesla. You build a luxury level car at a high price to appease the rich clientele looking for a unqiue car, then eventually create more affordable i3/i5 (both of which are already planned for release over the next 3-4 years) as the cost of production decreases. I can definitely see the entire i-series replacing most fo the current line over the next 10 years.

• Like 2

New technologies don't come cheap. Ask Tesla. You build a luxury level car at a high price to appease the rich clientele looking for a unqiue car, then eventually create more affordable i3/i5 (both of which are already planned for release over the next 3-4 years) as the cost of production decreases. I can definitely see the entire i-series replacing most fo the current line over the next 10 years.

True, technology does work this way, high end model expensive, then trickle down to affordable.

• Like 1

If it was half the price, it would be extremely tempting. I just can't wait for Tesla to build out their Supercharger infrastructure. 

Production ready BMW i8 officially revealed

0-100 km/h in 4.4s

BMW has revealed the i8 in production guise at IAA in Frankfurt, following last week's leaked official photos.

The 1,490 kg (3,284 lbs) plug-in hybrid adopts a 2+2 configuration and boasts a carbon fiber reinforced plastic passenger cell. It borrows many of the concept?s styling cues but slightly toned down and with standard LED headlights, with laser ones being optionally available. The see-through doors of the concept were not carried over but they still open upwards, while the alloys have been modified to be more suitable for a production model.

At its heart is a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a 1.5-liter, 3-cylinder gasoline TwinPower Turbo engine and an electric motor. The conventional engine outputs 231 HP (170 kW) and 236 lb-ft (320 Nm) and sends power to the rear axle through a 6-speed automatic transmission. The electric motor provides 131 HP (96 kW) transferred to the front wheels via a two-stage automatic gearbox. The electric motor receives its energy from a high-voltage lithium-ion battery with a 5 kWh capacity.

As a result of this hardware arrangement, the 2014 BMW i8 has a combined output of 362 HP (266 kW) and 420 lb-ft (570 Nm) of torque, enough for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.4 seconds. Despite this impressive performance, it remains a very economical car as it has a fuel consumption of just 2.5 liters / 100 km (94 mpg US or 113 mpg UK).

It can be driven on electric power for up to 22 miles (35 km) during which it can hit a top speed of 75 mph (120 km/h). The combined range of the BMW i8 production version stands at more than 310 miles (500 km).

As standard, it rides on 20-inch alloys but at an additional cost these can be replaced by lightweight carbon wheels. Other optional equipment available includes rear view camera, high beam assistant, speed limit info with No Passing Info display, Surround View, Head-Up Display, along with Collision Warning with pedestrian recognition.

10329664521669035096.jpg

18095812422237445.jpg

4954508201824654149.jpg

70840681214260640.jpg

190635956148518582.jpg

1926927150699623768.jpg

12983669181389715754.jpg

6409646291708626236.jpg

15207384741226738020.jpg

1134355332416016341.jpg

456830605485742131.jpg

• 1 month later...

Impressive economy figures for a 'supercar'

Never been one for BMW's but this one strikes as interesting.

Then you have NOT seen the original BMW M1.

The M1 was as un-BMW as any automobile they have built - before or since - up until today's i8 (which draws a ton of design cues from the M1).

It was, in fact, the M1 that "created" BMW Motorsport - the "homologation" (racing) group within BMW (and all those M cars that followed the M1, including the signature M3 and street-sleeper M5 saloon).

However, since the M1, BMW (in fact, most German automobile manufacturers other than Porsche) had a reputation for bland and downright boring designs - seriously, why is the Quattro (the signature Audi) seen as exciting?  I seriously doubt it's the styling.  Not a thing wrong with the engineering (not of BMW, Mercedes, or Audi); however, their designs had about as much spice as Gouda cheese.

It was why BMW DesignWorks followed Porsche Design into taking on contracts far afield from automobiles - to keep the creative juices flowing.

Was I the only one who was thinking the teaser ad reminded me of the original Surface RT teaser?

I soo want this car

Then you have NOT seen the original BMW M1.

The M1 was as un-BMW as any automobile they have built - before or since - up until today's i8 (which draws a ton of design cues from the M1).

It was, in fact, the M1 that "created" BMW Motorsport - the "homologation" (racing) group within BMW (and all those M cars that followed the M1, including the signature M3 and street-sleeper M5 saloon).

However, since the M1, BMW (in fact, most German automobile manufacturers other than Porsche) had a reputation for bland and downright boring designs - seriously, why is the Quattro (the signature Audi) seen as exciting?  I seriously doubt it's the styling.  Not a thing wrong with the engineering (not of BMW, Mercedes, or Audi); however, their designs had about as much spice as Gouda cheese.

It was why BMW DesignWorks followed Porsche Design into taking on contracts far afield from automobiles - to keep the creative juices flowing.

Um, yes I do remember the M1, it was the M1's engine that was put into a 5 series and gave the world the first BMW M5, not to mention variant models that loosely included the 635 csi models.

And if memory serves, the M1's economy figures weren't this good (Although as figures go some are exaggerated)

Boring design? I would agree with you to a certain point, as I prefer function over form, to a point, I like the 300c and consider this to be a dream car for me, I know it's actually a terrible vehicle, and many europoean cars of similar size blow it clean out of the water, but it is a car I like for it's form.

Usually I'd go in for People Carriers but that's because along with my family, I also have to take into consideration my 2 elderly parents, whom I and my wife look after, and their transport needs.

(Mostly I go in for Vauxhall Omegas as personal vehicles, good economy for their class, good range, good fun in the wet.)