Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2014 Volkswagen Golf R

33 posts in this topic

Posted

2014 Volkswagen Golf R

Goes on sale later this year

Volkswagen has released new pictures and a promotional video of the 2014 Golf R.

Set to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the hot hatch features an aggressive body kit with modified bumpers, revised side skirts and a rear diffuser. The model has also been equipped with bi-xenon headlights, LED daytime running lights and four-tailpipe sports exhaust system.

Motivation is provided by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 300 HP (221 kW) and 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) of torque - an increase of 30 HP (22 kW) and 30 Nm (22 lb-ft). It sends power to the ground via a 4MOTION all-wheel drive system with a fifth-generation Haldex coupling that "eliminates nearly all traction losses." This enables the car to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 5.1 seconds with a six-speed manual and 4.9 seconds with the optional six-speed DSG.

The Volkswagen Golf R will go on sale later this year and German pricing starts at

Posted

If it's anything like my old golf, I'll pass, was an understeering nightmare

the clio cup ran rings around it :(

Posted

Well...

I currently have a '10 GTI, would trade it in a heartbeat for the Golf R.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is crazy expensive for a sub-par brand like VW. You could buy a true luxury car with a V6 for that price.

Posted

Let's see how many of these features reach the U.S. once it finally launches here.

Posted

That is crazy expensive for a sub-par brand like VW. You could buy a true luxury car with a V6 for that price.

European pricing =! U.S. pricing

The previous gen Golf R starts at $34k USD (~EUR26k) in the U.S.

If you could provide examples of more affordable alternative models with a 5.0-5.5 sec acceleration and the all-wheel drive, that would be great too.

2 people like this

Posted

European pricing =! U.S. pricing

The previous gen Golf R starts at $34k USD (~EUR26k) in the U.S.

If you could provide examples of more affordable alternative models with a 5.0-5.5 sec acceleration and the all-wheel drive, that would be great too.

I do know what the euro symbol is...

Previous gen doesn't mean anything since that's not what we're talking about...

This car is listed at 

Posted

I do know what the euro symbol is...

Previous gen doesn't mean anything since that's not what we're talking about...

This car is listed at 

Posted

It won't cost 50K in the U.S.

It probably won't have the same performance either.

A WRX STi is even a better option.

Posted

The U.S. auto market is the most affordable one on the planet. You get a massive discount there. Just compare any other current model (American vs European prices).

On the planet?  Doubt it.  Compared to some of Europe, maybe, but there is a vast difference in economies and wages, plus there are huge taxes applied to vehicles in Europe.

Posted

On the planet?  Doubt it.  Compared to some of Europe, maybe, but there is a vast difference in economies and wages, plus there are huge taxes applied to vehicles in Europe.

As the largest consumer market on the planet, everything costs less in the U.S. Enjoy it!

Posted

As the largest consumer market on the planet, everything costs less in the U.S. Enjoy it!

Bigger than China?

Posted

Bigger than China?

Yes.

p.s. I actually brought my current Audi A4 from the U.S. last year :)

Posted

Yes.

p.s. I actually brought my current Audi A4 from the U.S. last year :)

Ah ok, you meant by dollar value.  I'd believe that.

That's awesome that you bought your A4 here. (Y)   I'm assuming you had it shipped over via boat?  Also, where there some sort of importing hurdles that they made you jump through?  I've always wondered how that process goes.

Posted

Ah ok, you meant by dollar value.  I'd believe that.

That's awesome that you bought your A4 here. (Y)   I'm assuming you had it shipped over via boat?  Also, where there some sort of importing hurdles that they made you jump through?  I've always wondered how that process goes.

Yes, it takes about 30-45 days to reach any major European sea port.

And the process is very easy as long as you are a legit owner and there's no debt collateral (auto loan) on the vehicle. The shipping broker/company takes care of all the paperwork.

When I used to live in Canada, I bought a 2006 Audi A4 in the U.S. too :) You guys are really lucky :) And the price difference is ridiculous. For example, a Honda made in Canada can cost more in Canada than it does in the U.S.!

Posted

Yes, it takes about 30-45 days to reach any major European sea port.

And the process is very easy as long as you are a legit owner and there's no debt collateral (auto loan) on the vehicle. The shipping broker/company takes care of all the paperwork.

Very nice, thanks for the insight.  I guess I'll ask the dumb question; What side is the steering wheel on?  :laugh:   Or do you live in a country that drives on the right-side?

Posted

You aren't only paying for the performance. 

The interior of the VW - including the Golf R beats that of an STi hands down. 

It's a more well rounded experience in my opinion as compared to YEAH KEN BLOCK YEAH.

To confirm, UK pricing doesn't mean convert to USD and that's your price. That's not how it works, fortunately. 

As a current VW owner, I am biased. 

Posted

Very nice, thanks for the insight.  I guess I'll ask the dumb question; What side is the steering wheel on?  :laugh:   Or do you live in a country that drives on the right-side?

I believe it's available on both right, and left hand drive, and if buying direct from Germany, you can specify

Posted

Let's see how many of these features reach the U.S. once it finally launches here.

- Gas pedal

- Brake

- Tachometer (optional)

$29,999

Posted

This is a very good point. The current Golf R is way too expensive for what it is. $35k+ for a Golf...a VW? Are you out of your mind VW? Same thing with Honda, $40k for an Accord? No thanks. I'd rather spend a few thousand more and get a 328i or C300 or A4 or IS250, G37 with much better interior and driving experience.

Posted

This is a very good point. The current Golf R is way too expensive for what it is. $35k+ for a Golf...a VW? Are you out of your mind VW? Same thing with Honda, $40k for an Accord? No thanks. I'd rather spend a few thousand more and get a 328i or C300 or A4 or IS250, G37 with much better interior and driving experience.

Much agreed.  (Y)

Posted

I understand what you're implying, but believe it or not, it's not a bad car (I just had a bad experience with mine), and for it's class, it's competition would be the A3 or the 1 Series.

That's not a fair comparison

1 person likes this

Posted

Sub-par brand... LOL that's quite funny considering the quality of most US doesn't come close to that of European cars!

Posted

Sub-par brand... LOL that's quite funny considering the quality of most US doesn't come close to that of European cars!

Prove it...  Consumer Reports would say otherwise...

And I never said that US cars were any better.  Insecure much?  But it's no secret that VW has reliability problems.

1 person likes this

Posted

Prove it...  Consumer Reports would say otherwise...

And I never said that US cars were any better.  Insecure much?  But it's no secret that VW has reliability problems.

Perhaps in the US where VW is manufactured in Mexico. Here in Europe VW is a quality car that many people love to drive and steal! LOL. I have driven both American and European cars, and VW in my opinion wins hands down. Others will disagree...