vw golf r

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 18:17

Yes, it takes about 30-45 days to reach any major European sea port.

And the process is very easy as long as you are a legit owner and there's no debt collateral (auto loan) on the vehicle. The shipping broker/company takes care of all the paperwork.

Very nice, thanks for the insight.  I guess I'll ask the dumb question; What side is the steering wheel on?  :laugh:   Or do you live in a country that drives on the right-side?

#17 Distant

Distant

Neowinian

• 98 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:56

You aren't only paying for the performance. 

The interior of the VW - including the Golf R beats that of an STi hands down. 

It's a more well rounded experience in my opinion as compared to YEAH KEN BLOCK YEAH.

To confirm, UK pricing doesn't mean convert to USD and that's your price. That's not how it works, fortunately. 

As a current VW owner, I am biased. 

#18 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:58

Very nice, thanks for the insight.  I guess I'll ask the dumb question; What side is the steering wheel on?  :laugh:   Or do you live in a country that drives on the right-side?

I believe it's available on both right, and left hand drive, and if buying direct from Germany, you can specify

#19 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,411 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:06

Let's see how many of these features reach the U.S. once it finally launches here.

- Gas pedal

- Brake

- Tachometer (optional)

$29,999

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,629 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:14

That is crazy expensive for a sub-par brand like VW. You could buy a true luxury car with a V6 for that price.

This is a very good point. The current Golf R is way too expensive for what it is. $35k+ for a Golf...a VW? Are you out of your mind VW? Same thing with Honda, $40k for an Accord? No thanks. I'd rather spend a few thousand more and get a 328i or C300 or A4 or IS250, G37 with much better interior and driving experience.

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,128 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:18

This is a very good point. The current Golf R is way too expensive for what it is. $35k+ for a Golf...a VW? Are you out of your mind VW? Same thing with Honda, $40k for an Accord? No thanks. I'd rather spend a few thousand more and get a 328i or C300 or A4 or IS250, G37 with much better interior and driving experience.

Much agreed.  (Y)

#22 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:19

I understand what you're implying, but believe it or not, it's not a bad car (I just had a bad experience with mine), and for it's class, it's competition would be the A3 or the 1 Series.

That's not a fair comparison

#23 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 716 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:22

That is crazy expensive for a sub-par brand like VW. You could buy a true luxury car with a V6 for that price.

Sub-par brand... LOL that's quite funny considering the quality of most US doesn't come close to that of European cars!

#24 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,128 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:26

Sub-par brand... LOL that's quite funny considering the quality of most US doesn't come close to that of European cars!

Prove it...  Consumer Reports would say otherwise...

And I never said that US cars were any better.  Insecure much?  But it's no secret that VW has reliability problems.

#25 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 716 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:32

Prove it...  Consumer Reports would say otherwise...

And I never said that US cars were any better.  Insecure much?  But it's no secret that VW has reliability problems.

Perhaps in the US where VW is manufactured in Mexico. Here in Europe VW is a quality car that many people love to drive and steal! LOL. I have driven both American and European cars, and VW in my opinion wins hands down. Others will disagree...

#26 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,629 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:56

I understand what you're implying, but believe it or not, it's not a bad car (I just had a bad experience with mine), and for it's class, it's competition would be the A3 or the 1 Series.

That's not a fair comparison

Why is not fair? Add in the MB A class (although the US will sadly never see that car). There are much better hot hatches, both RWD and AWD - they maybe slightly more expensive, like the M135i or the A45 AMG, but the Golf will never come close to the driving dynamics. The A45/M135i are way better driver's car, way more powerful, and way more fun. 

#27 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,128 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:13

Perhaps in the US where VW is manufactured in Mexico. Here in Europe VW is a quality car that many people love to drive and steal! LOL. I have driven both American and European cars, and VW in my opinion wins hands down. Others will disagree...

I don't think the area of manufacturing has that much of an effect on it.

Even some of the reports from Europe show that VW isn't a great brand:

http://www.whatcar.c...6676#serieslist

http://www.autoexpre...t-manufacturers

#28 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:31

Why is not fair? Add in the MB A class (although the US will sadly never see that car). There are much better hot hatches, both RWD and AWD - they maybe slightly more expensive, like the M135i or the A45 AMG, but the Golf will never come close to the driving dynamics. The A45/M135i are way better driver's car, way more powerful, and way more fun. 

No I meant the comparison, A golf isn't even in the same class or league as an A4 or a 3 series

#29 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,011 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:44

Golfs pricing has always been ridiculous. Here in India, if VW releases this at similar prices, expect them to move 0 units. Here it's more of a status symbol. People will buy BMW, Audi or Mercs for that price.

#30 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,629 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:49

No I meant the comparison, A golf isn't even in the same class or league as an A4 or a 3 series

Nope, but very close in pricing. I'd definitely have a A4 or 3 series or C class if it means paying a few more thousand dollars for a better interior/exterior/driving experience. At the end of the day, the Golf GTI/R is nothing but a glorified boy racer car to me - in the likes of the STI's/Evo's/Civic SI's. Besides, the VW crowd has some serious issues with lowering the car (to an extreme) and going with hideous stance looks.