PS4 owners may get Gigabit broadband from Virgin broadband

http://recombu.com/digital/news/virgin-broadband-using-ps4-owners-may-get-gigabit-broadband_M12029.html

Just wanted to say anyone that reads this do not be fooled, virgin media will not give ps4 owners gigabit broadband, it would cripple the infrastructure in one go. It cant even handle ppl at 30Mbit a sec as most exchanges are already over subscribed and traffic management is a killer. What it may do however is when 1Gigabit broadband is released in a few years it may leave PS4 owners on the high priority circuits. They have high medium and low priority in the cabinets, i know this cus an engineer told my friend about it when his 60Mbit connection was performing far less than his 30Mbit one.

If they did give you 1Gigabit i wouldnt expect you to pay anything less than ?120 a month just for broadband. Seeing as they kept the camera unbundled to keep costs low and keeping the hardware costs low would be stupid of them to think youd cough up that much for a broadband connection.

yeah when he came to sort out his broadband, cus the network cant handle everyone so when someone moans about it they switch someone up and someone down... and it wouldnt surprise me tbh cus they keep upping the speed but alot slower in upgrading there network so theyve got do something to try and make it all work

You'd be surprised how much Virgin Media can hold, their infrastructure is humongous. They can definitely handle 1Gbit connections. 

That article doesn't mean PS4 owners can get the same connection that would be silly, and there's no mention in the article of that. They're simply putting the PS4 on the Gbit connection. That means nothing, gaming is more down to latency and the throughput.

You'd be surprised how much Virgin Media can hold, their infrastructure is humongous. They can definitely handle 1Gbit connections. 

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.  :rofl:

• Like 2

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.  :rofl:

No lie. The only thing which holds UK back is the quality of copper used when BT installed the phone network, the high cable rental costs and tier 1 peering costs. You'd be surprised at the capacity of the top 3 ISP's.

No lie. The only thing which holds UK back is the quality of copper used when BT installed the phone network, the high cable rental costs and tier 1 peering costs.

Indeed, but Gigabit? No way! There's no way the infrastructure could suddenly support millions of connections like that.

Indeed, but Gigabit? No way! There's no way the infrastructure could suddenly support millions of connections like that.

Gbit internet connection equals to 100mbps. What if I told you one link from Manchester to London for one ISP is over 120Gbps?

No lie. The only thing which holds UK back is the quality of copper used when BT installed the phone network, the high cable rental costs and tier 1 peering costs. You'd be surprised at the capacity of the top 3 ISP's.

Virgin Media have congestion issues all over the country because their infrastructure can't support the bandwidth they (claim to) offer. And copper isn't holding anyone back, it's the lack of a real fiber optics infrastructure that is.

Virgin Media have congestion issues all over the country because their infrastructure can't support the bandwidth they (claim to) offer. And copper isn't holding anyone back, it's the lack of a real fiber optics infrastructure that is.

Trust me that is very invalid, their congestion issues were sorted years ago because they didn't expect the rapid expansion they recieved and a lot of boxes fell over while they were upgrading their infrastructure.

Every point past the exchange for every ISP is fiber. 

Gbit internet connection equals to 100mbps. What if I told you one link from Manchester to London for one ISP is over 120Gbps?

Not true. It's (quite obviousy) 1000 Mbps, or approximately 125 MBps. And obviously broadband runs on a high speed backbone.

Not true. It's (quite obviousy) 1000 Mbps, or approximately 125 MBps. And obviously broadband runs on a high speed backbone.

So on my 30MB connection at home I get 30mbps? No, I get 3mbps max.

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

Trust me that is very invalid, their congestion issues were sorted years ago because they didn't expect the rapid expansion they recieved and a lot of boxes fell over while they were upgrading their infrastructure.

Every point past the exchange for every ISP is fiber. 

They were not. There are still problems, huge problems, with network congestion.

Also, do you think every ISP has their own exchanges now, too?

So on my 30Mb connection at home I get 30mbps? No, I get 3mbps max. 

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

Gosh, you're more confused than you realise.

• Like 3

They were not. There are still problems, huge problems, with network congestion.

Also, do you think every ISP has their own exchanges now, too?

I didn't want to play this card but I have a BsC in Computer Networks and I've worked at the top ISP's in the UK, I have quite a thorough understanding of the UK's internet backbone.

ISP's often do have their own exchanges, they lease the property from BT and place their own equipment in them. That's called LLU.

I didn't want to play this card but I have a BsC in Computer Networks and I've worked at the top ISP's in the UK, I have quite a thorough understanding of the UK's internet backbone.

ISP's often do have their own exchanges, they lease the property from BT and place their own equipment in them. That's called LLU.

Then, at the very least, you should understand the difference between bit and byte.  :rofl:

• Like 2

Then, at the very least, you should understand the difference between bit and byte.  :rofl:

A bit is the base unit of measurement, and a byte is an octet of bits. Clear enough?

You said I can get 1000 MEGABYTES on a 1GIGABIT connection. Thats 10GIGABITS. Well estimates, because you work in 8's.

Seriously dude?

You said I can get 1000 MEGABYTES on a 1GIGABIT connection. Thats 10GIGABITS. Well estimates, because you work in 8's.

Seriously dude?

No, I said you get approximately 125 Megabytes per second from a 1 Gbps connection.

So on my 30Mb connection at home I get 30mbps? No, I get 3mbps max. 

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

You're getting your units mixed up.  There are 8 bits to a byte so a 30Mbit/sec connection is 3.75Mbyte/sec.  Mb = megabit and MB = megabyte.  The capitalisation makes all the difference.

124Megabytes per second equals 12 Gigabits

124Megabits per second equals 1 Gigabit

Can we go back to topic now?

Incorrect.  1 gigabit is 1024 megabits (the clue is in the name) and 12 gigabits is 12,288 megabits.