#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 03 September 2013 - 17:55

Xbox One will support up to eight controllers

xbox-one-controller.jpg

We've already gotten an intimate look at the Xbox One controller on multipleoccasions, but Microsoft's just snuck in some new tidbits about how the gamepad will work with its new console. Ballmer and Co. quietly disclosed on the gaming machine's official site that the gamepads have a 30-foot range, and that up to eight of them can simultaneously connect to a single One. Naturally, developers will have to account for the additional controllers before you can hop into a Halo match with seven friends on a single machine. We can't imagine that divvying up a display into eight parts will result in a terribly comfortable experience, but there are certainly other ways to include extra folks in multiplayer games.

Update: Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter that the PlayStation 4 will only support four controllers simultaneously -- so if you plan to game in person with more than a quartet per console, it looks like Xbox is the way to go.

Source: Engadget

#2 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 September 2013 - 18:32

I wonder if this is thanks to them using WifiDirect instead of Bluetooth for the controllers?

#3 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 September 2013 - 14:56

I know if this was part of a comparison XB1 vs PS4 then this would be a tick in Microsofts side of things but in all honesty I personally can't see this being too useful. I'm sure there will be a minority who could use this, but I do think it will be a minority. unless its a game like house of the dead when really it doesn't matter how many controllers, but then again for that you really want a gun.

The only part that gives me a glimmer of hope is that last part, "other ways to include extra folks in MP game". It would be interesting to see if dev's could come up with some sort of support role for additional players, kinda like the companion app for The Division.

#4 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2013 - 17:35

Given that game developers have barely supported two local players this generation, supporting eight is probably a bit overkill. Last game I played which supported four (may have even supported eight or more) local players was the Crash Bandicoot party game on the PSOne.

I genuinely wonder whether they have specifically designed it to use eight (perhaps for future plans), or if it is simply a result of coincidence.

#5 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:51

Seriously playing FPS on single display with 8 peoples ??

I would rather to have XB1 support ethernet so i can hook up to 8 different XB1 into a LAN hub.

#6 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:00

Seriously playing FPS on single display with 8 peoples ??

I would rather to have XB1 support ethernet so i can hook up to 8 different XB1 into a LAN hub.

It's not for fps, it's for sports game mainly. Like playing NHL 14 with 8 players, easy to do.

#7 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:01

I know if this was part of a comparison XB1 vs PS4 then this would be a tick in Microsofts side of things but in all honesty I personally can't see this being too useful. I'm sure there will be a minority who could use this, but I do think it will be a minority. unless its a game like house of the dead when really it doesn't matter how many controllers, but then again for that you really want a gun.

The only part that gives me a glimmer of hope is that last part, "other ways to include extra folks in MP game". It would be interesting to see if dev's could come up with some sort of support role for additional players, kinda like the companion app for The Division.

Why is no one thinking of sports game ? Yes it's useful for those

#8 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:09

This ^^

#9 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:24

pfft... If I have 7 people at my house I'm not going to want to play Xbox with them. That's party numbers and an excuse to intoxicate.

#10 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:32

pfft... If I have 7 people at my house I'm not going to want to play Xbox with them. That's party numbers and an excuse to intoxicate.

Sounds like fun to me! :fun:

#11 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25

Awesome... Now I just need to find 7 friends

f4UGFEs.gif

#12 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:56

yep like Fifa

#13 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:09

Sure some sports games may work but thinking of popular sports like Fifa or NFL, the players are so spread out across a pitch that the camera would have to be very zoomed out which imo would ruin game play.

#14 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:22

Maybe something along the lines of party games, with added Kinect functionality.  Nothing specific I can think of now, but devs are more creative than I am :)

On the flip side the PS3 supported 7 controllers (if I remember correctly) and I don't recall any games supporting that many concurrent players.

#15 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:34

Given that game developers have barely supported two local players this generation, supporting eight is probably a bit overkill. Last game I played which supported four (may have even supported eight or more) local players was the Crash Bandicoot party game on the PSOne.

I genuinely wonder whether they have specifically designed it to use eight (perhaps for future plans), or if it is simply a result of coincidence.

These are pretty much my thoughts. Supporting eight controllers is overkill, even for sports games.