File storage help

Not sure where to even start with this one...

We have 1 server and a few workstations at our ambulance base. I'm the "IT Guy" by default since I know the most but as time has progressed, I know less and less about servers. It's a bad situation for me. Seeing as how I work for free, no one can complain. I digress. 

1 server (DHCP, DNS, Filse/Print server) - handful of workstations. 

1. Our group policy dictates that Documents goes to the server in the //vfserver/member files/%username folder or something to that extent. It's working for 1 out of the 6 computers...Not sure why. 

2. I need the best option for "collecting" or directing all .pdf files from a certain program into a certain folder for easy deletion. We scan and attach patient information (hardcopy) using Fujitsu ScanSnap software and attach it via EMS Charts. I'm not particularly fond of the idea that the files with PII are just sitting there. It wouldn't be so bad if item #1 wasn't a problem. 

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I realize I should be paying for professional services at this point but funds are limited (stupid healthcare changes) and I need to attempt to learn/do as much as I can on my own. 

If someone is willing to help out - I am able to provide some sort of compensation. We can talk. 

I think we are missing some important information here. First, can you summarize what you are trying to accomplish in two sentences or less?

You mention that documents must go to the server because of your group policy, but you do not mention Active Directory as one of the important services running on your server. Are your workstations bound to a domain and is your server a domain controller?

Why are you trying to delete documents that are sent to the server? If you don't want them stored permanently, don't send them there. Automatic file deletion is generally a very bad policy. If something goes wrong you could potentially lose very valuable data.

Are you the one who setup this server in the first place or was it someone else? In the latter case, does the person who originally configured it still work for your company? Is there any documentation available for this configuration? I don't what to leap to an accusatory conclusion before we have all the facts, but is this server being run without the knowledge of your IT department? In that case the best solution would probably be to contact them.

I'm trying to make it so all workstation saves all "My Documents" and "Desktop" files to the server. 

Yes - Active Directory is in use. 

Let me clarify on the deletion, I want specific documents deleted after we are done with them. 

I did the initial setup. No documentation besides what's in my head (I do have an "if I die" document) but nothing specific about the server config. 

We don't have an IT department, I'm it. Small non-profit organization.

Item #1 is easy enough to fix would need to see it though. It could very well be a share or permission issue. Typing it in wrong or the wrong access permissions. We could easily get this squared away if you'd like. But the key is being able to see the folder structures and shares.