Windows 8.1 RTM AMD Notebook drivers with hybrid support on Windows Update

So it was an automatic install? I know the hybrid graphics driver situation on my Acer 7750g has been an absolute nightmare with 0 support from AMD, and Acer drivers that haven'e been updated in over a year.

Display drivers provided through Windows Update don't normally have any OpenGL components so any applications that you use that rely on OpenGL support probably will not work

I know, but so far I could use only Intel integrated graphics because this stupid AMD Windows 8.1 Preview driver broke compatibility with hybrid graphics.

Now I'm back to WDDM 1.2 using fully Mobility 5000 1GB and my HDMI port.

Is this just AMD hybrid solutions, or Enduro, with AMD and Intel? 

If Enduro, are you sure the Intel driver also updated, and do your brightness controls work?

This is very interesting! These drivers seem to be in between 13.6.2 and 13.8.x.

Manosdoc .. can I ask a favour of you please!

Some people are trying to get brightness to work for their Enduro setups. The brightness gets controlled by a specific registry string. If you could post what you have it could benefit the 5xxxm series community!

You can find this string by searching for:

FeatureTestControl in the registry. It should come up 2 - 4 times on windows 8.1.

Would be hugely appreciated if you post this!!

It's not an Enduro. It is first generation AMD/Intel switchable graphics. It switches automatically but not seamless as Nvidia's Optimus (or perhaps Enduro). It switches only during battery/AC power schemes or manually but you still get a flicker black screen for a second. The Brightness works directly from specific buttons on the laptop, out of the box using Windows 8.1 RTM.

I'll try to upload the string.

It's not an Enduro. It is first generation AMD/Intel switchable graphics. It switches automatically but not seamless as Nvidia's Optimus (or perhaps Enduro). It switches only during battery/AC power schemes or manually but you still get a flicker black screen for a second. The Brightness works directly from specific buttons on the laptop, out of the box using Windows 8.1 RTM.

I'll try to upload the string.

Ya Manosdoc.. the terminology escapes me. They keep on rebranding it depending on dynamic vs fixed switching / and on terms how the LVDS is wired internally.

Either way I am really interested in your values .. and if they work I might want to find out the proper name for the driver that windows downloads. I want to see if anything can be taken from it and put into the Leshcat catalyst drivers for better 5xxx support.

Here is the string but I captured it using Intel HD at the moment as I'm on battery. I don't know if it is different on AMD.

Brilliant thank you! If I could ask just one more thing from you if you don't mind.

Could you please upload the OEM1.inf file. It is found in your Windows Repository / Driver Store. You can probably just find it simply by running a search + in system files.

This is where windows keeps the installed drivers. the OEM1.inf is the file used during driver installation that indicates all parameters used for this card ... like the ones you posted in your pic.

Hope I am not being too much of a burden!

I think it is from Intel

You are right :(. This will be useful but could you possibly get the AMD one too? Normally they are combined into one inf file on hybrid drivers.

This also could potentially mean that AMD can be updated independently in the future on a clean setup... much like the 7xxxm series. Ie .. install any Intel driver you like .. restart .. install AMD ontop and receive switching.

If you could search for FeatureTestControl once more please (couple of times to find the next FTC value) until a value called InfPath: shows something other than OEM1.inf like on your pic.

Again sorry to bug you but this is pretty good news!

You are right :(. This will be useful but could you possibly get the AMD one too? Normally they are combined into one inf file on hybrid drivers.

This also could potentially mean that AMD can be updated independently in the future on a clean setup... much like the 7xxxm series. Ie .. install any Intel driver you like .. restart .. install AMD ontop and receive switching.

If you could search for FeatureTestControl once more please (couple of times to find the next FTC value) until a value called InfPath: shows something other than OEM1.inf like on your pic.

Again sorry to bug you but this is pretty good news!

This is the one that works for me:

http://adrynalyne.blogspot.com/2012/10/fix-brightness-control-for-windows-8.html

Thank you very much!! ) but the issue is a bit more complex these days. With each driver change & different Intel combo the FTC value can change meaning an old one might not work anymore.

The FTC value itself regulates around 8 different functions in a laptop (largely to do with the way Intel works).

When you take a laptop with different internal LVDS wiring (muxless/muxed graphics card switching) ... things become complex. Ontop of which you have laptops with eyefinity (complex lvds).

This is where the fun starts on finding different settings.

Have a look at this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgfT1A4Yr4xWdDNHa0V2Q2d6dUxvMjBMQ2xnNVBtYnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Most of these figures are straight forward ... but there are some really cruel exceptions.

Either way ... until someone shows up that can reverse engineer the AMD kernel we have to rely on trial, error, guess work and fresh inf files :D

FINALLY! Installed and activated my copy of 8.1 and as soon as I do Windows update I see a new Intel and AMD driver waiting for me. After installing I didn't have any switching capabilities until I installed the CCC from the AMD folder in Program files. It feels good to have an updated set. I was working with a set going on a year old with absolutely no way of updating without using an unsigned driver package which might work and might not.

I am still going to tell people to stay away from AMD hybrid laptops however as they still don't have an official solution for their users.

FINALLY! Installed and activated my copy of 8.1 and as soon as I do Windows update I see a new Intel and AMD driver waiting for me. After installing I didn't have any switching capabilities until I installed the CCC from the AMD folder in Program files. It feels good to have an updated set. I was working with a set going on a year old with absolutely no way of updating without using an unsigned driver package which might work and might not.

I am still going to tell people to stay away from AMD hybrid laptops however as they still don't have an official solution for their users.

NeoandGeo .. can you provide the model and the card please. I am looking for a way to get the 6770m cards to work properly with the new 13.10 beta.

Using an Acer Aspire 7750g-9810 w/ 7670m

Thank you! I will see if it is possible to combine the inf file from these driver into the Leshcat package. I might come back to you some day asking for your infs if I cannot obtain them myself ;D

There is one LARGE problem for me though. Modern apps do not work at all when trying to use the AMD to process the graphics. Seems all the apps try this, so I have to go into each app one by one open the app, have it not work/crash, then configure the CCC to force it to use Intel graphics. I am having a problem with the calendar/people app. I can't find what application it is and configure it to use the power saving graphics. I have added livecomm.exe which I thought was it, but the screen still freezes in the apps making these two unusable.