Photo
win8

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 OP manosdoc

manosdoc

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:16

In extending mode Windows 8.1 does something weird, which I have seen in Surface.

It dedicates one Display ( Metro ) to one card, and the other Display (Desktop) to the other card.

When one wants to utilize only Intel, things are easy. Just disable AMD, or use only one display (it will use Intel)

When one wants to utilize AMD well you enable both cards, keep Intel on (because else it freaks out), and disable the monitor.

Kinda ****ed up, but the switchable graphics button on CCC is not always working seamlessly.

This way I'm updated to the maximum using official drivers from AMD, and Intel's from Microsoft.

#32 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:15

In extending mode Windows 8.1 does something weird, which I have seen in Surface.

It dedicates one Display ( Metro ) to one card, and the other Display (Desktop) to the other card.

When one wants to utilize only Intel, things are easy. Just disable AMD, or use only one display (it will use Intel)

When one wants to utilize AMD well you enable both cards, keep Intel on (because else it freaks out), and disable the monitor.

Kinda ****ed up, but the switchable graphics button on CCC is not always working seamlessly.

This way I'm updated to the maximum using official drivers from AMD, and Intel's from Microsoft.

I am still trying to find out of this is going to be the official way for switchable graphics under 8.1. Chances are very slim, since the button at times doesn't work and both cards stay active when on Intel which shouldn't be the case in normal circumstances like you mentioned.

But until some OEMs release a new Switchable graphics set for older gens we will not know how it works properly for 8.1.

My limited theory at the moment is that there will be no normal way to support 5xxxm and 6xxxm gen cards for 8.1 with one simple driver package (and I hope that I am wrong).

To me it seems like 7xxxm and 8xxxm have official Enduro support (which MS tried to replicate for the older gens), meaning that you can install Intel and AMD separately either way.

Simply put. AMD & OEMs dumped us like they did a long time ago and it will take another long while until we have stable drivers that work fully under Win 8.1.

#33 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:20

I have an Intel HD3000/7690m combo.

OEMs treat us like a red-headed stepchild too and AMD reference drivers don't work.

Really, installing Intel and AMD separately also doesn't really work either.

#34 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:22

I have an Intel HD3000/7690m combo.

OEMs treat us like a red-headed stepchild too and AMD reference drivers don't work.

Really, installing Intel and AMD separately also doesn't really work either.

Are you sure that the Enduro way doesn't work for you? Install Intel first on a clean environment. (the latest version)

And then after a restart install Mobility Catalyst drivers. Restart again for switchable menu.

#35 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:27

Are you sure that the Enduro way doesn't work for you? Install Intel first on a clean environment. (the latest version)

And then after a restart install Mobility Catalyst drivers. Restart again for switchable menu.

Yeah.  Mind you, I've not tried it in the last year, but I fought tooth and nail to try and get it working for Windows 8 when it first hit MSDN.  I would always end up with blue screens when switching, or black screens.  I did try updating my Catalyst drivers to the latest per an update prompt from the CCC software about a month ago, and it caused everything to implode.

IIRC, according to AMD, the only ones really supported by the reference drivers are the third gen Enduros (Ivy Bridge) and up.  From what I understand, those have no issue installing Intel and AMD separately.

#36 OP manosdoc

manosdoc

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:33

Well I can't complain now much.

I can use both cards in any way I want, it just needs few more clicks than simple switch button, which works about half the time.

#37 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:34

Of course, my card reads 7690m, but is a rebranded 6770m.

#38 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:28

Of course, my card reads 7690m, but is a rebranded 6770m.

I do wonder if it has more to do with the fact that you are on sandybridge and not on ivy. What about Leshcats drivers? Have they given you any results?

#39 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:35

I do wonder if it has more to do with the fact that you are on sandybridge and not on ivy. What about Leshcats drivers? Have they given you any results?

They did when I last tried them.

I had the FTC issues with brightness, but other than that, they worked.

I stopped using Leshcat after HP delivered some Windows 8 drivers.  Which work in 8.1...sorta.

So I am going to be back to experimenting soon.

#40 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:18

They did when I last tried them.

I had the FTC issues with brightness, but other than that, they worked.

I stopped using Leshcat after HP delivered some Windows 8 drivers.  Which work in 8.1...sorta.

So I am going to be back to experimenting soon.

The inf in the Leshcat drivers was partly based on the new HP drivers. Obviously with 8.1 this is another ball game now and the same drivers might not be compatible anymore. Windows 8.1 uses a completely different installation method and I am sure that many people are wondering if HP or anyone will release an updated set.

I do have to mention that 8.1 does have backwards compatibility for Windows 8 drivers. So you could get lucky!

#41 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:58

The inf in the Leshcat drivers was partly based on the new HP drivers. Obviously with 8.1 this is another ball game now and the same drivers might not be compatible anymore. Windows 8.1 uses a completely different installation method and I am sure that many people are wondering if HP or anyone will release an updated set.

I do have to mention that 8.1 does have backwards compatibility for Windows 8 drivers. So you could get lucky!

They do work, but in some applications I get blurry text in 8.1.  I found a workaround, but I rather have a real fix.

#42 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:50

They do work, but in some applications I get blurry text in 8.1.  I found a workaround, but I rather have a real fix.

It could simply be one registry line that needs changing. It could be that this registry line is specific to your card and was not changed in the Leshcat driver because other models might not share it. This obviously relates back to the inf file. This is a large leap of faith on my behalf thinking that this is what causes the blurry text since I don't know the exact issue.

Either way .. if you knew what line is responsible for it then you could check what is missing and ask Leshcat to include it.

#43 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:54

It could simply be one registry line that needs changing. It could be that this registry line is specific to your card and was not changed in the Leshcat driver because other models might not share it. This obviously relates back to the inf file. This is a large leap of faith on my behalf thinking that this is what causes the blurry text since I don't know the exact issue.

Either way .. if you knew what line is responsible for it then you could check what is missing and ask Leshcat to include it.

I mean, the HP driver works.  I haven't tried Leshcat's drivers lately.  I am waiting for the upgrade 8.1 package...because I am lazy and don't want to reinstall all my stuff.