8 posts in this topic

Posted

Windows Phone Review, from an Android Dev

Most of everyone on Neowin knows that I strongly dislike Microsoft

Posted

At the risk of sounding picky Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are not the same thing. Version 7 and beyond is Windows Phone, Windows Mobile is before version 7.

Furthermore, the version and handset you are reviewing ate somewhat old and things have moved on.

3 people like this

Posted

At the risk of sounding picky Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are not the same thing. Version 7 and beyond is Windows Phone, Windows Mobile is before version 7.

Furthermore, the version and handset you are reviewing ate somewhat old and things have moved on.

Thanks for the feedback..

Posted

I'd be curious to see what you think of the newer WP8 phones especially after they address some of the popular requests (maybe early next year?)

Posted

Pretty much agree with this review.. really boils down to what you're doing with it.  As a phone in general, I'm very pleased with my 900.  Fast, stable, and does the job nicely.  The ecosystem isn't as big as Androids yet obviously, as the market share slowly grows (which it's mostly doing) it'll get better, if you're wanting everything right now you're probably better off going the Android route. I have two phones, one for work, one is my personal phone.  (When I'm off the job, I'm off, no calls, no texts, nada.) To me anyway, Windows Phone "feels" more like a fast, streamlined phone, where my HTC One feels more like a small tablet that just so happens to also make phone calls, if that makes sense.  Upgrading to a WP8 phone is on my to-do, I'm sold on the platform.  Very easy to develop for too, same language, IDE, etc as my other projects.

1 person likes this

Posted

Getting to settings like the Wifi is pain and I feel like it should be much easier.. I understand you just have to click and scroll and only takes a few seconds.. but on an Android device it is much more quick to access system settings.

With all due respect, you find this a problem because you are used to toggling these things on Android. You can set your wifi once and not care about it until you are at a place where you want to connect. The phone will prompt you in that case.

Posted

So will an Android phone if you're near an open network. If the network you're using isn't open you will have to go into the settings menu once to connect to it, then it will automatically connect when you're next in range.

I'm pretty sure the OP's post was in reference to the annoyance of getting into the menu not the actual functionality of the wifi

Posted

It's Lumia, not Lumina.