Residents of Terrace, British Columbia, Canada woke recently at 7:30 AM to strange loud grinding and whining noises that lasted 10 minutes. Kimberly Wookey was one of three people who recorded and uploaded videos of the sound to YouTube. While this wasn?t the first time she had heard the odd noises, it was the first time she was able to record them. After her video post Wookey received messages from other residents across the province that also heard the noise wondering what caused it.

There are reports of similar sounds from around the world with explanations varying. Wookey told CBC News, ?Well I have heard that it could be skyquakes. It could be something from the earth?s core. It could be something magnetic, like the magnetic fields around earth. I, I really have no clue.? The Geological Survey of Canada?s Honn Kao confirmed that the noise was not from any regional seismic activity. Biologists discounted ideas that the noise came from an animal. Despite other theories that the wailing came from a train, residents insisted that it did not come from the nearby tracks.

After all the speculation, Alisa Thompson, City of Terrace spokesperson offered an explanation saying the mystery noise came from the hockey arena parking lot where a city worker was sharpening the blade of a grader. To spread the word, the City of Terrace posted the information on their Facebook page reading in part, ?Turns out?.. it was us. A City employee was preparing a grader for some work on Lanfear hill and produced that mysterious noise with the grader blade.? But Wookey is skeptical saying, ?I?ve heard graders before and I?ve heard trains before and that sound was nothing like that.? Wookey is not alone in her doubt. Others who heard the strange noise in Terrace have been vocal, commenting on the city?s post that they just don?t believe Terrace?s explanation. Thompson said that the city would work to replicate the sound with the grader to set conspiracy theories to rest.

source & video

Kimberly Wookey was one of three people who recorded and uploaded video of the sounds and uploaded it to YouTube.

My parents are so lucky that I didn't know that Wookey was a real last name until now that I'm in my 30's...

• Like 1

we have a rail line running past our house and once in a while we hear a very simular sound, it's a maintenance train, they make a HELL OF A LOT OF NOISE!

a few seconds of the one that go's past our house that i managed to capture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWML3qO-6BM

diffrent maintenance trains will have a diffrent method of maintaining the track and so make diffrent sounds.

• Like 1

^ Why would people confuse this sound with a train noise which they have heard hundreds of times ... ?

Wookey is skeptical saying, ?I?ve heard graders before and I?ve heard trains before and that sound was nothing like that.?

Construction site in town? Heavy Construction vehicles moving onto the site? It sounded quite windy in the video, maybe some metal structure was really feeling the pressure. 

Construction site in town? Heavy Construction vehicles moving onto the site? It sounded quite windy in the video, maybe some metal structure was really feeling the pressure. 

:facepalm:

Dude, people know their town. And constructions doesn't last a minute or so.

Similar metalic/magnetic sounds are beeing heard around the world more often now (do not all sound the same, but some do and some don't). Please do a little bit of research. It's all over the place, I even had a personal experience when I was in Northern Canada a while ago.

:facepalm:

Dude, people know their town. And constructions doesn't last a minute or so.

Similar metalic/magnetic sounds are beeing heard around the world more often now (do not all sound the same, but some do and some don't).

We're also doing a lot more construction these days than ever all around the world.

I'm not saying one way or another but its ridiculous not to lean towards it being something obvious like that.

Well...what ever it is, it sends shivers up my spine. It's like nails on a chalk board...I could only take about the first 30 secs. of it. 

It could have been just a small quake, and the ground was just re shifting and settleing.

Edit: ^ Confirms what I'm saying. 

fter all the speculation, Alisa Thompson, City of Terrace spokesperson offered an explanation saying the mystery noise came from the hockey arena parking lot where a city worker was sharpening the blade of a grader. To spread the word, the City of Terrace posted the information on their Facebook page reading in part, ?Turns out?.. it was us. A City employee was preparing a grader for some work on Lanfear hill and produced that mysterious noise with the grader blade."

I have no idea what it is, but to say this borders on ignorant.

Well...what ever it is, it sends shivers up my spine. It's like nails on a chalk board...I could only take about the first 30 secs. of it. 

It could have been just a small quake, and the ground was just re shifting and settleing.

Edit: ^ Confirms what I'm saying. 

I dont know. Mexico City is extremely large, specially compared to Terrace. If this were caused by a quake shifting ground plaques or metal structures then the noise in Mexico would be stronger. However in the OP's video the noise is greater.

I have no idea what it is, but to say this borders on ignorant.

They should ask them to prove it, by doing it again.

And if it's really them, they should get fined for waking up everybody in the damn city.