22 posts in this topic

Posted

Atom bombs are just the beginning. In the last half-century, the greatest military minds on Earth have developed an arsenal of weapons to make mutually assured destruction seem tame.

Whether these masterpieces of destruction come from miles above Earth or millimeters below the skin, they have one thing in common: they're spooky as hell.

Can turning animals into cyborgs ever end well? Should lasers really be strapped to planes? Is dispersing humans with the worst smell ever created a better alternative to doing it by burning their skin? You be the judge.

The Atomic Bomb

The first weapon on the list is arguably both the spookiest and the most terrifying from beginning to end. Whether you side with those who say its use in WWII prevented an invasion of Japan and casualties on a much larger scale, or those who denounce its use as a war crime, it is arguably the only weapon whose effects have so vividly solidified in the popular consciousness after such little use (twice). The bomb's devastating reach extended well beyond the immediate blast radii; nearly half of the total number who died in 1945 as a direct resulting of the bombings in Hiroshima and Nagaski died from burns, radiation poisoning, and cancers.

Project X-Ray

In the early years of American involvement in WWII, a plan was conceived by a Pennsylvanian dental surgeon to strap tiny incendiary devices to bats and drop them by the thousands over Japanese cities. The bats

1 person likes this

Posted

And a lot of those are going or are already operatonal.

Posted

Now I know know why the words military and intelligence don't belong together.

2 people like this

Posted

Wonder what they could, will come up with that will have a positive benefit.

Posted

Probably the shipboard defensive laser. It gets installed next year on the USS Ponce.

Cornershot has been in production for a few years.

A version of the "puke flashlight" is sold commercially as part of a combo tactical light/laser sight.

Rail guns are a few years out yet, and being developed for the US Navy.

Posted

Heh, that gay bomb sounds awesome for use in the Middle East... given how backwards those idiots are on the subject.

2 people like this

Posted

when i read the The Puke Flashlight description,

i wonder if that certain banned episode of pokemon which reportedly make viewers dizzy, nauseating and up to enticing para-epyleptic seizures, are the testing phase of the flashlight.

Posted

^ Good idea -- test it out on gamers. :laugh:

Posted

WANT!

Posted

What about that crazy (WW I?) trench rifle that was on Pawn Stars one time?

Posted

I'm not sure what's spooky about them, but they range from clever and interesting to downright absurd.

Posted

... the soldiers to become "irresistibly attracted to one another" and, we can only assume, forget that they were in the process of being bombed.

I'd have to see that to believe it.

Posted

Cornershot has been in production for a few years.

Didn't the Germans have a crude version of this back in World War 2? I think it used mirrors.

Posted

The Gay Bomb

We return to the subject of spooky bombs with a device that never got any further than a three-page report [excerpt at left]. In the document, issued by a U.S. Air Force research laboratory in Ohio in 1994, the proposal was to develop a variety of bombs of uncommon ordinance (at a cost of $7.5 million), including: a flatulence bomb, which would stink so badly as to drive the enemy out of its hiding places; a bomb which would make the enemy sweat profusely; and a "halitosis bomb," which would plague soldiers with bad breath. But the coup de gr

Posted

but is a promising tool for non-violent enforcement.

people really need to revise the definition of violence!

Posted

I think they tested The Gay Bomb quite frequently in San Francisco.

2 people like this

Posted

Didn't the Germans have a crude version of this back in World War 2? I think it used mirrors.

The StG-44 Krummlauf, but it had a curved barrel.

stg44c.jpg

Posted

the rods of god idea was used in the movie GI Joe Retaliation 

Posted

^ Rods from the sky sounds like a huge waste of our military budget and taxpayer money.

Posted

Metal Storm was pretty interesting when I first heard about it years ago. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjGbOyd2ek

Posted

rods from god was used in gi joe 2 and it would be insane the rod would be travelling at 24,545 miles per hour, nothing could stop it from hitting its target and would be devastating. but the one from gi joe 2 i didnt get was when he hit the cancel firing button why did it blow it up, bit over zealous when it could of just cancelled the firing seqeunce then again better to watch i guess

Posted

GI Joe is ****. The weapon was first introduced in media in the game Tom Clancy's Endwar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXSyTzgMC9Q