oregon public outcry boycott facebook page apology

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,553 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:42

An Oregon teen’s claim —  that she was thrown out of women's clothing store rue21 because of her size — has triggered a public outcry against the fashion retailer.  

On Saturday, Shelby Buster, 14, was walking through the Valley River Center Mall in Eugene with her mother, Marjory Buster, and a friend named Jennica. Excited to shop without her mom for the first time ever, she went with Jennica to rue21, where she had a rude surprise.

“I walked in and the lady at the front counter said, 'Hey, you’re too big to be in this store, I need you to leave,'” Shelby told Oregon news station KEZI on Sunday. When her mother arrived and learned of the incident, a store clerk allegedly apologized to the family.

But an apology wasn’t enough. After leaving the mall, Shelby updated her Facebook page, stating: “Well, happy birthday to me! The rue21 in Eugene, Oregon told me I was too fat and told me to leave the store! I can’t believe it! Thanks for ruining my birthday, rue21!” Marjory Buster also contacted KEZI with the story.

Shelby's claims have sparked outrage online and many have vowed to boycott rue21. On the company Facebook page, Elaine Stanford wrote, “Seriously? This is not a misunderstanding. While it’s nice to see the company apologize, to call it a misunderstanding totally takes the sincerity away.

more

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:45

The employee that did that needs to be fired. That is just unacceptable.

#3 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,186 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:55

Truth Hurts, now go for a walk and stop eating carbs! To be fair she isn't THAT Big, but she is only 14 give her a few more years. She better get a head of it.

#4 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:12

Truth Hurts, now go for a walk and stop eating carbs! To be fair she isn't THAT Big, but she is only 14 give her a few more years. She better get a head of it.

Doesn't matter if someone is 500 pounds they shouldn't be thrown out of a store for it. Although those type stores rarely have sizes for the bigger people but that doesn't matter. 

#5 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:14

Doesn't matter if someone is 500 pounds they shouldn't be thrown out of a store for it. Although those type stores rarely have sizes for the bigger people but that doesn't matter. 

She could have been there to buy a gift for a friend, or something else like earrings or a scarf. There is no legal basis for this kind of discrimination and they totally deserve the retaliation. This is no different than them throwing someone out for their race. Total bull****.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:16

oh great, one or the anti carb people. 

just eat normal portions of whatever food you like and have a normal activity level and/or excessive depending on your normal activity level, which for her seems to be a little to low. Hard to tell form her picture if she's just a health big size or slightly overweight though. In either case it isn't necessarily unhealthy unless she also drinks a lot of cola and eat a lot of fat foods. 

#7 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,739 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:19

The employee that did that needs to be fired. That is just unacceptable.

Hold the employee accountable? Sorry. This is the age of "social media."

The appropriate response is to call for a nationwide boycott of rue21 and demand the CEO be fired. I expect a change.org petition and a #boycott21 Twitter hashtag by this evening.

#8 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:22

oh great, one or the anti carb people. 

just eat normal portions of whatever food you like and have a normal activity level and/or excessive depending on your normal activity level, which for her seems to be a little to low. Hard to tell form her picture if she's just a health big size or slightly overweight though. In either case it isn't necessarily unhealthy unless she also drinks a lot of cola and eat a lot of fat foods. 

Eh, for some people this is true. Everyone's body is a little different. I stay away from bread, pasta, etc. Even eating a little bit I notice a change in my stomach--and I never eat large portions of anything. I may be more sensitive to their effects since I rarely eat them anyway (although I do drink alcohol, this is probably why I am not as fit as I was before I turned legal-drinking-age!), but there is a clear link between carbs and belly fat.

#9 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:24

Hold the employee accountable? Sorry. This is the age of "social media."

The appropriate response is to call for a nationwide boycott of rue21 and demand the CEO be fired. I expect a change.org petition and a #boycott21 Twitter hashtag by this evening.

You are probably right. :D

#10 +nowimnothing

nowimnothing

Neowinian Senior

• 1,638 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:26

There is no legal basis for this kind of discrimination...

There is no legal issue here whatsoever. The store doesn't need a reason to ask someone to leave. You're in the store because they allow it. It's not public property.

That said, if this is really how it happened... what idiots. At least lie and say you think they stole something.

#11 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,739 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:31

They wouldn't allow me to bring my droids into the Mos Eisley Cantina either.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,553 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:19

There is no legal issue here whatsoever. The store doesn't need a reason to ask someone to leave. You're in the store because they allow it. It's not public property.

Tell that to the hillbillies around here ! :laugh:

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,313 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:25

That said, if this is really how it happened... what idiots. At least lie and say you think they stole something.

That isn't really true.

There are several laws that prevent them throwing you out on grounds of discrimination or disability.

Private stores do not give them the right to break laws.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:28

Eh, for some people this is true. Everyone's body is a little different. I stay away from bread, pasta, etc. Even eating a little bit I notice a change in my stomach--and I never eat large portions of anything. I may be more sensitive to their effects since I rarely eat them anyway (although I do drink alcohol, this is probably why I am not as fit as I was before I turned legal-drinking-age!), but there is a clear link between carbs and belly fat.

That's something completely different from the weight loss/healthier low carb and no carb diets though. Which can in fact cause health problems, such as gall bladder stones.

Healthy eating is a balanced diet that includes carbs.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:29

That isn't really true.

There are several laws that prevent them throwing you out on grounds of discrimination or disability.

Private stores do not give them the right to break laws.

What he meant was that they could safely have thrown them out if they didn't give a reason.

Of course this only works until someone notices the pattern.