Photo

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:46

There was a pretty interesting article posted on gamespot. Its an interview with Albert Penello:

http://au.gamespot.c...6413920/?page=1

Its a fairly extensive interview, but I was going to point out the bit on page two of the interview where they talk about MS' potential plans to leverage their cloud infrastructure.

The big take away for me is that its clear MS is looking at the same type of features that Sony is regarding serving game content.  Its clear these things aren't even close to being ready to offer, but its being looked at.  I remember the article a while back that had quotes from Sony where they said they could offer cloud features similar to MS and then we have this story basically saying MS can do what Sony plans to do.

It all comes down to who can do it correctly first.  In the end, we may find out that both offer fairly similar features, but who can pull it all together first.

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:54

I just hope they have some way of playing Super Nintendo on Xbox One.

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:31

I just hope they have some way of playing Super Nintendo on Xbox One.

Now that would be cool. :)

#4 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:40

I'm really psyched for all of the announcements/leaks that they're making after the fact, after all of the major conferences and shows, and after I pre-ordered a PS4. The time to say this stuff was a month ago, not now.

#5 OP trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:00

I'm really psyched for all of the announcements/leaks that they're making after the fact, after all of the major conferences and shows, and after I pre-ordered a PS4. The time to say this stuff was a month ago, not now.

I'm not sure what the difference is.  As you said, you pre-ordered a ps4.  You haven't actually bought anything yet.  There is plenty of time to switch a pre-order or add one if your wanting an X1 now.

#6 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:05

They're keeping the community engaged though, which is interesting considering the complete lack of engagement before they changed plans.

It was really odd.

#7 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:09

They're keeping the community engaged though, which is interesting considering the complete lack of engagement before they changed plans.

It was really odd.

Yeah it's almost like this was the plan all along but the first bit just didn't pay off like they hoped. It's pretty exciting stuff going on right now though. They've got me engaged for certain.

#8 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:00

I'm not sure what the difference is. As you said, you pre-ordered a ps4. You haven't actually bought anything yet. There is plenty of time to switch a pre-order or add one if your wanting an X1 now.

I'm not sure if its the same where you buy your console/games but the store I bought from requires you to pay for it to reserve it.. So it's already bought.

Also for the topic can someone quote the part where he says Xbox will be doing this?

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:14

I'm not sure if its the same where you buy your console/games but the store I bought from requires you to pay for it to reserve it.. So it's already bought.

Also for the topic can someone quote the part where he says Xbox will be doing this?

I believe by law, all pre orders can be canceled with money back. 

#10 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22

I believe by law, all pre orders can be canceled with money back.

It's not the law here, but I can get a full refund because demand is high on the console. But I've pre-ordered other things and was told I'd lose a small deposit due to the store having to purchase it after I put in the pre-order.

#11 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:26

This is good news, so I may be able to access all my GoD games purchased via 360 on Xbone?

#12 OP trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:26

It's not the law here, but I can get a full refund because demand is high on the console. But I've pre-ordered other things and was told I'd lose a small deposit due to the store having to purchase it after I put in the pre-order.

I didn't realize some places restricted you like that.  The places I preorder from either take a small deposit that is refundable, or require nothing at all.  I mostly preorder from Amazon now and of course their policy is the best since you can change pre-orders very easily. 

Regarding a quote from the article, here is the relevant part:

Question:

The Xbox One taps into the power of the cloud quite a bit. We're seeing one of your competitors, Sony, doing backwards compatibility through streaming. Does the cloud-powered nature of the Xbox One leave it open for things to change in the future for something like that?

Answer:

Yeah, absolutely. That's one of the things that makes [the cloud] at the same time both totally interesting and hard to describe to people. Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin. When you say to the customer, we want the box to be connected, we want developers to know that the cloud is there. We’re really not trying to make up some phony thing. But there are so many things that the servers can do. Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it’s things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box. We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience.

Like I said before, it seems MS is pursuing these features, but they are still a ways off.  Now we know Sony plans to get Gaikai going sometime in 'early' 2014 for the US and an unknown date for Europe, but it sounds like if MS is going to offer something similar, it will be much later. 

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:28

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...The amount of things they said about the 360 matching features of the PS3 and they never did. It was just another headline that was quickly forgotten about.

In their mind It's probably in their mind best interests not to provide a backwards compat service. That way they can milk HD remakes for another generation, except with a 4K label this time.

#14 OP trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:05

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...The amount of things they said about the 360 matching features of the PS3 and they never did. It was just another headline that was quickly forgotten about.

In their mind It's probably in their mind best interests not to provide a backwards compat service. That way they can milk HD remakes for another generation, except with a 4K label this time.

Are you talking about Sony or MS?  If I remember correctly, there have been a lot of HD remake milking on the PS3 this gen, much more than the 360. I don't remember some magical list of features that MS claimed they would be adding to 'match the ps3'. 

So apparently Sony can get away with saying they can offer functionality that MS offers but MS can't do the same.

Sorry, that remark comes off as a bit one sided.

#15 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:57

I really wouldn't call streaming games "backwards compatibility", but yes all you need is an internet connection and you can do it, it's not fixed in hardware.

It'll still suck of course, but if you want proper backwards compatibility you can get the old console anyway.