Xbox One could offer backwards comptibility/Gaikai-like service via cloud

Well I do have a memory like Rain man so I can't hold it against you ;), but there is a lot of examples of MS saying "we could..." and never following through on it. Admittedly they got there in the end with some of them like Internet Explorer. Too bad it's an awful browser and requires Gold, but hey ;)

Until now Sony have always supported BC, but I guess with their struggles they decided the survival of the company is more important, hence the cost cutting. Probably something similar for Nintendo although it still has the predecessor BC at least.

Alright Rain Man :laugh:

But seriously, I'm sure they had said such things, its a standard tactic for these companies to try and promise as much as they can. 

Sony pioneered the idea of backwards compatibility, but it also spoiled us a bit.  Nintendo didn't jump on board until the Wii to offer backwards compatibility. 

As you said, I think the costs of such support are too high now for MS and Sony to keep offering.  Besides, when Sony or MS can instead offer old games via streaming for an additional cost, that's a safer option for them.

Alright Rain Man :laugh:

But seriously, I'm sure they had said such things, its a standard tactic for these companies to try and promise as much as they can. 

Sony pioneered the idea of backwards compatibility, but it also spoiled us a bit.  Nintendo didn't jump on board until the Wii to offer backwards compatibility. 

As you said, I think the costs of such support are too high now for MS and Sony to keep offering.  Besides, when Sony or MS can instead offer old games via streaming for an additional cost, that's a safer option for them.

Well their BC support history is a bit more than that. Their portables have always supported the older generations to some degree.

Its not real BC if I cant use my current games and still have to pay again just to play what I already have. Its because these console makers dont realize the importance of this we will always have people who will be working towards creating emulators and roms for these. (back off software police I am not trying to turn this into a piracy thread just stating a point)

Well their BC support history is a bit more than that. Their portables have always supported the older generations to some degree.

True, but the Wii was their first attempt at it for home consoles.  They pioneered backwards compatibility support on handhelds.

The security of the current consoles has been compromised, but if you could put a 360 or PS3 game into the new consoles, then it may be possible for verification

My point was that the disc drive is still a point of failure in the security of consoles, that could still turn out to be the case for the new ones in time.

Pretty sure if they offered backwards compatability it'd be really high priced and not let you use anything you've purchased before (i.e. like wii you need to rebuy everything).

If I've bought something like a bunch of snes games, I really couldn't care if I'm labelled a pirate for getting the ROMs and playing them on other consoles without paying again.

My point was that the disc drive is still a point of failure in the security of consoles, that could still turn out to be the case for the new ones in time.

Not necessarily.

Just like the OG Xbox, Microsoft learnt their lessons and made sure mod chips would never work on 360. That is still the case today after 8 years. You really think they won't take what they learned with the 360 to the X1? My bet is the BR drive is locked down tighter than ever.

If anything it's going to be another soft mod to crack PS4/X1. That complicated X1 OS set up looks like just the breeding ground for one ;)

Not necessarily.

Just like the OG Xbox, Microsoft learnt their lessons and made sure mod chips would never work on 360. That is still the case today after 8 years. You really think they won't take what they learned with the 360 to the X1? My bet is the BR drive is locked down tighter than ever.

If anything it's going to be another soft mod to crack PS4/X1. That complicated X1 OS set up looks like just the breeding ground for one ;)

The X1 OS does seem to be a good opening since its Win 8/8.1 at its core.  Heck, MS may open it up more as time goes on to allow more apps to be used, negating the need for modding outside of wanting to pirate games.

all of that would be good, some sort of backward compatibility is very easy to implement...i think. or just let us re-download most of the digital content we got on 360. i'm keeping the 360 and PS3 for the time being, but three consoles sure do take up space, and just feels wasteful.

all of that would be good, some sort of backward compatibility is very easy to implement...i think. or just let us re-download most of the digital content we got on 360. i'm keeping the 360 and PS3 for the time being, but three consoles sure do take up space, and just feels wasteful.

Well no it's not easy to implement at all becuse the new xbox is (like the majority of servers out there) x86 architecture and the 360 is PPC architecture.

Multicore x86 computers of about 2005 onwards are able to run bsnes (the most accurate true-to-life SNES emulator for PC) alright, and that's a slow 30 year old chip it's emulating, x86 just isn't powerful enough to emulator PPC unless you specially built different hardware servers or had a huge cluster just emulating a single game.

Yup, but that streaming service is better than nothing. If they could include it in the Gold/PS+ subscription even better, but I suspect that's already being stretched thin these days, so it'll probably be extra sadly.

Not that "native" backwards compatibility is 100% either. Both 360 and PS3 had pretty rubbish support. 1 console was limited from the beginning, the other removed it for cost cutting, both eventually dropped support.

Dropped support? Xbox 360 still plays Xbox 1 (see Microsoft? stupid name) games that I actually want to play.

Well I do have a memory like Rain man so I can't hold it against you ;), but there is a lot of examples of MS saying "we could..." and never following through on it. Admittedly they got there in the end with some of them like Internet Explorer. Too bad it's an awful browser and requires Gold, but hey ;)

Until now Sony have always supported BC, but I guess with their struggles they decided the survival of the company is more important, hence the cost cutting. Probably something similar for Nintendo although it still has the predecessor BC at least.

That's true on both sides and IE on Xbox 360 works pretty well if you really want to browse on it (I don't and won't miss it if they just drop it).

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems like MS might be farther along with a Gaikai-like service then many would believe, myself included:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774418/microsoft-demonstrates-halo-4-streaming-from-the-cloud-to-windows-and

If they are already at this stage of testing, it wouldn't be a shock to see something roll out next year which would put it around the time that Sony rolls out their service. 

Well it seems like MS might be farther along with a Gaikai-like service then many would believe, myself included:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774418/microsoft-demonstrates-halo-4-streaming-from-the-cloud-to-windows-and

If they are already at this stage of testing, it wouldn't be a shock to see something roll out next year which would put it around the time that Sony rolls out their service. 

It'd be funny if MS got this out before Sony did.

I'm not sure if its the same where you buy your console/games but the store I bought from requires you to pay for it to reserve it.. So it's already bought.

Also for the topic can someone quote the part where he says Xbox will be doing this?

That's crazy... It's like charging a 'restocking fee' for a product that doesn't exist in stores yet...

I ordered mines from Amazon... Cancel up to 3days before ship 'no restocking fees whatsoever...

• 2 weeks later...

<snip>

Goodbye gamerscore. Just really not worth a purchase at that price. Rather buy a couple of bottles of decent whiskey instead.

Should have kept it, sold it for twice of what it was worth, and gotten more whiskey.

Winter is coming after all...

Goodbye gamerscore. Just really not worth a purchase at that price. Rather buy a couple of bottles of decent whiskey instead.

Umm, good for you?  I think you meant to post this in a thread where it makes sense.  Or maybe you just don't care.

Should have kept it, sold it for twice of what it was worth, and gotten more whiskey.

Winter is coming after all...

Who in their right mind would pay twice what the console is worth when there isn't a chance it will sell out at launch.

Umm, good for you?  I think you meant to post this in a thread where it makes sense.  Or maybe you just don't care.

Yeah I pretty much don't care

The X1 OS does seem to be a good opening since its Win 8/8.1 at its core.  Heck, MS may open it up more as time goes on to allow more apps to be used, negating the need for modding outside of wanting to pirate games.

I doubt that the console will be particularly open. There have been comments on the web (well.. if I remember correctly, from confirmed XB1 devs on beyond3D) that the XB1 system security + locked-down-ness makes the 360 security look absolutely trivial.

I assume that the XB1 lockdown will extend to the OS. Sure, there may be some slight lifting of restrictions over time, but I wouldn't bet that anything particularly noteworthy will be exposed.

Who in their right mind would pay twice what the console is worth when there isn't a chance it will sell out at launch.

But it is going to sell out at launch. Don't kid yourself.

That's what I figured.  Just another member of the internet gang,

I doubt that the console will be particularly open. There have been comments on the web (well.. if I remember correctly, from confirmed XB1 devs on beyond3D) that the XB1 system security + locked-down-ness makes the 360 security look absolutely trivial.

I assume that the XB1 lockdown will extend to the OS. Sure, there may be some slight lifting of restrictions over time, but I wouldn't bet that anything particularly noteworthy will be exposed.

Can you link me to where you heard about the security and locked down nature of the X1?  This is the first I had heard of it being more locked down than the 360.  Maybe that was true when they first announced the drm, but since they reversed that, I hadn't heard any such info.

Remember, the non gaming OS is Windows 8.1 and I haven't heard anything about what restrictions might be in place.  However, MS has demonstrated building apps that are easily ported to the X1 app store.  There have also been leaks recently about MS' plan to integrate a single app store that can work across all of their devices, including the X1.  There are a lot of signs pointing to MS wanting to allow devs to build apps as they would in Win 8 on the X1. 

I just wish they would lay all of this out so that.  We still have not seen or heard how their app store will work and how devs can submit apps. It could turn out to still be restricted, but at least there seems to be signs it will be different.

The "DRM" in the XB1 was less restrictive than the comparable checks in the 360, but I doubt the console is "open" in any way (If they're allowing dev access then I assume it'll follow an iOS app store model where stuff is sandboxed)

Meh...does anyone really care that the XBox 360 isn't backwards compatible with original XBox games?  I don't blame Sony or Microsoft for not making backwards compatibility a high priority.  In my view, that feature may only drive initial console sales but isn't a critical features in the long run.

All that being said, if the PS4 had backwards compatibility with PS3 games I might adopt the platform sooner than I'm planning to (which is currently sometime next year).  I've been on the 360 this time around and would love to checkout some of the PS3 library but want to save my pennies for next gen.