Photo

Now we have chicken from China

usa department of agriculture ban ended us slaughtered usda inspectors nuggets unlabeled

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,889 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:46

Would you willingly eat a chicken nuggets processed in a country that has no intention of meeting U.S. food-safety standards? Most Americans likely wouldn't.

That may explain why the U.S. Department of Agriculture waited until Friday -- the day before a long holiday weekend -- to announce that it had ended a ban on Chinese chicken imports by approving four Chinese poultry processors to ship processed ("heat-treated/cooked") chicken to the U.S. The report on the approved poultry plants noted that the audit set out to "to determine whether the People's Republic of China's (PRC) food safety system governing poultry processing remains equivalent to that of the United States (U.S.), with the ability to produce products that are safe, wholesome, unadulterated, and properly labeled." Needless to say, the Chinese plants passed.

Initially, at least, the chickens will be slaughtered in the U.S. (or another nation that's allowed to export slaughtered chicken to the U.S.), then shipped to China for processing and re-export. That's the good news. The bad news is that, according to the New York Times, no USDA inspectors will be present in the Chinese processing plants (despite the fact that China has never before been allowed to export chicken to the U.S.), thus offering consumers no guarantees where the processed chickens were in fact slaughtered. Even worse, because the birds will be processed, the USDA will not require point-of-origin labeling (under USDA rules, foods that have been cooked aren't subject to point-of-origin labeling). In other words: Consumers will have no way to tell if those chicken nuggets in the supermarket freezer were processed in the U.S. or in China.

That's a big problem. For more than a decade, China has earned a reputation as one of the world's worst food-safety offenders. In just the last year, consumers have been confronted with a bird flu outbreak, news of sales of 46-year-old chicken feet and reports of poisonous fake mutton. These are not isolated incidents, but rather the most spectacular instances of a crisis that has become so severe that some consumers now smuggle quantities of infant milk formula from foreign countries into China so as to avoid buying potentially tainted Chinese dairy products.

The Chinese government, sensitive to people's beliefs that it isn't doing enough to protect their food supply, has made a point of regular, ineffective crackdowns on food-safety violators

more

#2 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:48

How the hell does it even make sense to, Send them to china and then send them BACK again! The delay in shipping time must cost business money, Why they cant do all this in the US I do not know.

#3 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,555 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:49

Just another reason to not eat processed crap anyway... buy whole meat from a good source!

Seriously, the US allows some absolutely shocking things into food, things most other developed countries banned long ago. It's disgusting and, I'm sure, a major cause of all the illness and disease and obesity these days.

#4 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,736 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:50

Chinese chicken*

*May contain dog, cat, or other animals

I'll pass.

#5 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:13

Easy way to poison people. 

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:16

Chinese chicken*

*May contain dog, cat, or other animals

I'll pass.

Same here. No telling what is in there.

#7 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:43

Hmm yummy. No thanks. 

#8 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,889 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:44

I'm sure McDonald's will proudly advertise Chinese McNuggets. :p

#9 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• 5,840 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:49

US food standards are already horrible.

#10 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,107 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

well thats just one more thing i have to look for on labels when i go to the store, I remember going to the store as a child and never having to read a label before i purchased anything. now i have to read the label on everything its horrible and time consuming.

#11 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,719 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

counterfeit chicken!

#12 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:54

well thats just one more thing i have to look for on labels when i go to the store, I remember going to the store as a child and never having to read a label before i purchased anything. now i have to read the label on everything its horrible and time consuming.

Good luck :

Even worse, because the birds will be processed, the USDA will not require point-of-origin labeling (under USDA rules, foods that have been cooked aren't subject to point-of-origin labeling). In other words: Consumers will have no way to tell if those chicken nuggets in the supermarket freezer were processed in the U.S. or in China.

#13 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,779 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:54

Well at least you wont have to worry about malicious code being buried in these imports :woot: :laugh:

#14 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:00

Would you willingly eat a chicken nuggets processed in a country that has no intention of meeting U.S. food-safety standards? Most Americans likely wouldn't.

That bit got me, I wouldn't even trust US standards haha

This is McDonalds chicken in the US ...ewwwwwww

chipperk.jpg

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:05

Good luck :

Even worse, because the birds will be processed, the USDA will not require point-of-origin labeling (under USDA rules, foods that have been cooked aren't subject to point-of-origin labeling). In other words: Consumers will have no way to tell if those chicken nuggets in the supermarket freezer were processed in the U.S. or in China.

In other words, this food is gong to poison you so don't worry about it. I remember once we got some plywood from China for a project a customer wanted us to do and the smell of chemicals was so bad that none of us could stand being around it for more than a few seconds without our eyes watering. We had to glove up and mask up to even use it.