Photo

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#16 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:14

It doesn't matter which one is more powerful, the games will be created with lowest common denominator in mind. Even if there was some difference, you wouldn't notice it, and if you thought you did, it's your bias talking either way.

#17 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:14

What about the Wii U?

wii-u.jpg

#18 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:26

It doesn't matter which one is more powerful, the games will be created with lowest common denominator in mind. Even if there was some difference, you wouldn't notice it, and if you thought you did, it's your bias talking either way.

Developed for the lowest common denominator is one of the lamest things I keep hearing.
Does anyone understand what that means when they say it?

#19 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:28

Excellent interview.  Really starting to get into this.  If I get an end of year bonus at work as has been typical, hopefully it'll allow me to pick one up.

#20 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:39

Umm, where in any of those quotes did he "admit the PS4 was faster"?  Because I don't see it.  Anywhere in anything he said.

Exactly.  And the PS4 doesn't offer any of the cloud support, which will allow developers to take advantage of performance that doesn't ship in the box as well.  Whereas the PS4 has to rely on what's in the box for 10 years, the XBoxOne does not...

#21 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:26

Developed for the lowest common denominator is one of the lamest things I keep hearing.

Yes, I understand what it means.

#22 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:00

If that were true the PC version of multi-plats would never have better graphics.

#23 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:46

If that were true the PC version of multi-plats would never have better graphics.

Although the PC version may have 'better graphics', this doesn't negate what I said. I can see the logic applied to conclude this, though. It's true that they may increase X, Y or even the resolution, but the game was designed with the lowest-end hardware it's meant to run on in mind. I assure you this is limiting the capabilities of the software. Also, often enough PC ports are handled by a third-party and they will improve things to the standard of a typical PC that neither console version will ever get. It's just not cost effective to develop for each system with different capabilities in mind.

Usually the only graphical difference is they add a few more leaves of grass, some particles and up the resolution. The consoles have had some of these differences from time to time, but it doesn't happen often enough to justify worrying about which system is more powerful. It doesn't matter; not when they're this close. All it does is fuel angry video game nerds which drives competitive consumerism and lines the hardware distributors pockets with money. Microsoft and Sony want you to fight, it's good for business.

#24 Zaic

Zaic

Z

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:12

Exactly.  And the PS4 doesn't offer any of the cloud support, which will allow developers to take advantage of performance that doesn't ship in the box as well.  Whereas the PS4 has to rely on what's in the box for 10 years, the XBoxOne does not...

You dont know what you are talking about...

First of all cloud costs money, if anyone will pay for it it will be you.

The fact that microsoft has Azure cloud service doesnt mean anything to your games that come from EA or other publishers

If you think that games can ofload AI or other parts of the game proccessing to the cloud, think again.

The only cloud support I see for XBOX is based on skydrive, and thats it

#25 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:23

There are funny theories about the Xbox One having a secret dGPU that'd make it way more powerful than the PS4. Anyway, the Xbox One has shown it can do 1080p 60fps in AAA titles so of course we're not talking 40% overall performance difference from PS4. Probably the ESRAM alone negates most of the GDDR5 performance advantage, and who knows why it has 33% less shaders.

#26 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:46

The fact that microsoft has Azure cloud service doesnt mean anything to your games that come from EA or other publishers

If you think that games can ofload AI or other parts of the game proccessing to the cloud, think again.

No, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

#27 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:58

- Xbox Live = Costs for online service.
-Azure Servers are being used by the Titanfall team for dedicated servers, I imagine other developers will also leverage this as well considering MS will be have a pricing scale that represents your user base. In theory this meants that EA won't be shutting servers down so quickly on XB1.
- Forza 5 will be offloading AI into the cloud come launch day. Not to mention other devs coming out talking about the benefits and features of using such a service.

Let's not forget that MS are already discussing backwards compatibility by streaming games via their cloud platform, similar to Gaikai on the PS4.

#28 Zaic

Zaic

Z

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:21

- Xbox Live = Costs for online service.
-Azure Servers are being used by the Titanfall team for dedicated servers, I imagine other developers will also leverage this as well considering MS will be have a pricing scale that represents your user base. In theory this meants that EA won't be shutting servers down so quickly on XB1.
- Forza 5 will be offloading AI into the cloud come launch day. Not to mention other devs coming out talking about the benefits and features of using such a service.

Let's not forget that MS are already discussing backwards compatibility by streaming games via their cloud platform, similar to Gaikai on the PS4.

Dedicated servers might as well be hosted somewhere else it doesn’t add to consoles performance debate we have here...

Forza 5 requires onetime online connection to Xbox Live - so it can download its games AI? or not being online will only let you race in an empty track?

The Gaikai stuff doesn’t add anything to the xbox performance discussion.

The fact that MS has acknowledged that you don’t have to be online to enjoy your games makes whole cloud processing talks ######.

#29 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:53

*Yawn* These comparisons have gotten stale.

The PS3 had monstrously better CPU and RAM "spec" than the 360, but does it perform better? Absolutely not.

These comparisons mean absolutely nothing, and people really need to let it go.

The PS3 does actually perform better.

It means games will be developed for the Xbox one and then ported over so no real graphics advantage will be seen.

Also Penello does confirm the PS4 is more powerful in his posts, but he says it's more powerful on paper and real world experiences will be similar / same as Xbox one. Read it again if you can't see it.

#30 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19

Actually MS has already stated that they intend to give the Azure cloud servers to AAA games for free so they make the most out of it. It wouldnt cost MS much to do that as it would be very cheap to absorb there own costs