13 posts in this topic

Posted

Watch NASA's LADEE moon launch on the East Coast

Posted

I'll have to watch this tonight.   

Posted

Well should be able to see it from NYC area too so i'll be getting a good seat on the top of the building somewhere :)

Posted

Here's the launch visibility map if it helps.

Posted

Oh sweet, this is tonight? I was thinking I'd forgotten about this. I'll have to see if I can check it out. It's supposed to be a clear night here.

Edit: Hmm... perhaps this is an important picture to include as well. Looks like it'll only be about 5 degrees over the horizon where I am. There aren't any areas flat enough with no trees in NC to see 5 degrees over the horizon, haha.

8C8866667-map.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

Posted

Spectacular looking launch from the Baltimore area. I wanted to drive down to WFF for the launch, but it's a lot of driving for a small window of action. 

Posted

A friend mailed me that the 3rd stage had an extremely bright ignition, almost explosive to the point he thought it blew. Sounds cool :)

Posted

It is nice that MARS is getting more good press - it has been around nearly as long as Cape Canaveral or even Vandenberg AFB; however, launches from there aren't as high-profile as launches from either Canaveral or Vandenberg (I'm referring to unmanned-satellite launches, of course - it's the one area where all three sites overlap).

If anything, thanks to Orbital Sciences (and companies like it), sites such as MARS (as well-equipped as it is - and nearly as isolated as you can get, despite its location) can be useful for decades.

(Of COURSE I have additional reason to smirk; MARS - as merely the Wallops Island Test Facility - dates back before rocketry.  As much as some have tried to mothball it, more uses keep being found for it.  Therefore, it's nice to see it getting some sunshine time.)

Posted

LADEE's computer shut down the spacecrafts reaction wheels (necessary to maintain orientation) shortly after launch due to an abnormally high current draw. They still have communications and are trying to work the problem.
1 person likes this

Posted

LADEE.jpg

Posted

Flying frog :D

10v1JCe.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

You would jump to if a (former) ICBM was being launched on top of your head :P

Posted

http://weather.aol.com/2013/09/12/photo-the-incredible-rise-of-rocket-frog/

A frog unwittingly made one giant leap for amphibian kind on Friday, Sept. 6, when it was catapulted into the air during NASA's LADEE spacecraft launch. A still camera on a sound trigger at Virginia's Wallops Flight Facility captured this incredibly well-timed shot of the frog's wild ride.

Lyrical parody from Burrito Justice

Ground Control to Major Frog

Commencing countdown engines on

WTF are you doing in the pond

Check ignition and may frog
1 person likes this