Photo

NSA cracked most on-line encryption

usa britain encryption technology internet users propublica code-breaking documents leaked

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• 1,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:05

The NSA may have the ability to do all these things but I'm fairly certain they're not going to waste their time reading my emails from my wife about a new recipe she wants to try or that I just transferred $300 from one checking account to another.

#17 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,132 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:10

Why wait? We have heard it plenty. How about wait for something like why that sentiment is not correct? Nothing I do online is illegal so why do I care that they are wasting their time reading my email, facebook, etc. Nobody has every given a legitimate response without resorting to slippery slope logic.

Nothing I do online is illegal either but I prefer not to let someone have full access to what I do online. Just in the interest of personal space I become uncomfortable when someone is behind me watching over my shoulder. I'm not doing anything wrong I just feel uncomfortable when somebody does it......the only time I don't is when I am showing them something by using my computer.

You are perfectly fine letting someone watch your every move, while nothing I do is illegal, I prefer to maintain my personal space. Privacy in what I do online is part of my personal space, therefore no matter how unimportant my browsing habits are, I would rather not have anyone with the ability to watch over them.

The way I understand it anyway is they look for keywords/phrases/behaviors, no person actually sits and reads over it unless their system flags it, that fact doesn't make me any more comfortable that they have the ability to do this though.

#18 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,084 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:10

Personal insults? Is that really needed? Read the conversation you injected yourself into. You don't know the context, you don't have any proof, and you are just crying wolf at this point and actually surprised nobody believes you. Stop the name calling or I will report you. You said yourself for personal gain. Do tell, if not to take money, what personal gain is there for having my bank account number? Try again, no insults this time.

Ahh boohoo , stop acting like a child. I edited my comment seconds after I posted but you still took it.

nobody believes me ? You know everybody really ?  Anyway your original comment was aimed at the other guy. You're the one who started it all with your non sense, saying that your bank account is not missing any money. I mean .. really .. what does your bank account has to do with anything.

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,555 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:14

Why wait? We have heard it plenty. How about wait for something like why that sentiment is not correct? Nothing I do online is illegal so why do I care that they are wasting their time reading my email, facebook, etc. Nobody has every given a legitimate response without resorting to slippery slope logic.

Nothing you do in your home is illegal. Would you support having cameras inside your own house to watch what you do 24/7 just in case you would decide to do something illegal?

Hacking/cracking is illegal. It is for a teen in his parents basement. It is for gov agencies too. In a really free and democratic country it should take a warrant to do it and i sure do hope it takes one in USA too.

The trend in USA to consider okay to give gov agencies a free pass to do whatever they find necessary to do is highly disturbing.

#20 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:14

Ahh boohoo , stop acting like a child. I edited my comment seconds after I posted.

nobody believes me ? You know everybody really ? Anyway your original comment was aimed at the other guy. You're the one who started it all with your non sense, saying that your bank account is not missing any money

Right back to insults. Reported. You can't talk without insulting people and I am the child. Right.

#21 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,084 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:16

Right back to insults. Reported. You can't talk without insulting people and I am the child. Right.

Great. Go ahead.

#22 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:17

Nothing you do in your home is illegal. Would you support having cameras inside your own house to watch what you do 24/7 just in case you would decide to do something illegal?

Hacking/cracking is illegal. It is for a teen in his parents basement. It is for gov agencies too. In a really free and democratic country (NA is not anymore) it should take a warrant to do it.

A warrant to search your private property. Your communication on the internet is anything but private property. It is no different than police officers that think they have the right to privacy and not to be filmed while on duty. The internet is public property and you have no reasonable right to privacy on property that does not belong to you. The law is very clear about that. Comparing what happens on the internet to what happens on your private property makes no sense. The internet is not yours, hence you have no right to privacy there.

#23 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,555 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:21

A warrant to search your private property. Your communication on the internet is anything but private property.

If it is encrypted then yes it is your private property. Hacking/cracking is illegal and should require a warrant.

It's not because you send your encrypted data online that it doesn't sudenly belong to you anymore. I can leave my phone unattended in a public place, let's say a bar, and it will still belong to me and if the police want to hack into it and bypass the lock they'll need a warrant (anyway this is the way it is in Canada). If it's not locked then yes they can legally have a look.

#24 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:24

The way I understand it anyway is they look for keywords/phrases/behaviors, no person actually sits and reads over it unless their system flags it, that fact doesn't make me any more comfortable that they have the ability to do this though.

That is the only way its even feasible. There are people that are dumb enough to think there is a human being sitting on the other end reading, watching, and recording everything you do with their eyes. Those are the ones you see here crying about how your bank account information is being stolen and used for personal gain. It's pretty baffling that they have come to believe this. You have to through all common sense out the window to even begin to believe this.

#25 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:24

I don't care if im not doing anything wrong I still have a right to privacy.

#26 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:26

If it is encrypted then yes it is your private property. Hacking/cracking is illegal and should require a warrant.

Only if it happens and stays in the privacy of your own home. The second it leaves your home, in this case you send it over the internet unto public lines of communication, you lose that. That's what the courts have backed up time and time again.

#27 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,155 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Are you sure? Assuming you live in the United States, no on in the country knows how many Federal crimes currently are on the books. As a result, you can't accurately say that nothing you do online isn't illegal as you can't possibly know... But even skipping that part for a moment... The problem posed with stuff such as this isn't just illegality today, but also illegality tomorrow. You have no way of knowing what laws will be passed and what actions you have taken that will be viewed as illegal tomorrow that may be perfectly legal today.

The sliding scale of legality is the major problem here. The government can monitor you, invade your communications, and take punitive actions against you without adequate safeguards in place for you. This is a major problem in a democratic republic such as the United States as it has to effect of suppressing the free expression of speech which is the only real check the population has on governmental power. We are entering an era where the government has unprecedented power in this area and that should have anyone who cares about the future of this Republic concerned.

There is a reason our political system was setup as a Republic and not a true democracy. The active participation of the populous continually declines as you get further away from the original cause for the establishment of the democracy, complacency takes over. The unique experiment for us has been a question of could a dedicated governing body with lower overall participation requirements on the populous ensure we survive long. Current governmental power will put this to its true test. Have we reached the point where the populous is so complaisant that we will welcome Tyranny?

There is a difference between spying on someone, and then someone using your details to royally screw you over.  Monitoring vs Theft.

What difference is this? The act of spying is done not with the intent of collecting aggregate data, much like application usage statistics in modern software, instead it is done with the intent of active usage against targets. As a result, the government has all intents of using the information it gathers in a manner that is negative to anyone it considers a target. That may not be you today, but it may be you tomorrow. The TSA no fly lists are one such area where this is shown to affect everyday Americans, even young children.

Obviously, no the NSA probably won't empty your bank account, but they may do far more intensive things to you if you trip a wire to become a target; a wire you have no idea exists or when you've tripped it. This is akin to your own home being wired with a burglary defense system that you have no control over and actively sees you as an intruder. I'm not sure how this is much different from, or better than, the reality of being burglarized.

#28 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Neowinian

• 1,478 posts

This.

#29 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:27

Only if it happens and stays in the privacy of your own home. The second it leaves your home, in this case you send it over the internet unto public lines of communication, you lose that.

Bullcrap my bank account is my private information. You nor anyone else has the right to see it. If the NSA has the ability to crack pretty much every security measure who's to say that someone isn't looking at my bank account. 

#30 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,084 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:27

There are people that are dumb enough to think there is a human being sitting on the other end reading, watching, and recording everything you do with their eyes.

You're the one saying that. Who said that ? They can access your info on demand, they are not monitoring. Supercomputers does that for them and they access it when they need to. For example, FBI calls them, they say, hey I need everything you have on this guy. They will do it for them in almost an instant. Phone records, transactions records at their finger tips. No warrant.

Who's dumb enough ?

/THREAD

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!