Photo

NSA cracked most on-line encryption

usa britain encryption technology internet users propublica code-breaking documents leaked

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:41

You have to give the IRS that information first. You have to manually input your banking information. The IRS just doesn't put it in. If it was public the IRS would just look your name up and do it automatically. 

That's not true. Never given the IRS my bank account info. All it takes is a SSN and they have all your info. Banks report you to the credit offices too which ties everything together, bank, credit cards, cellphone, etc.

#47 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,286 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:42

That's not true. Never given the IRS my bank account info. All it takes is a SSN and they have all your info. Banks report you to the credit offices too which ties everything together, bank, credit cards, cellphone, etc.

That's never happened to me  I had to imput my banking info otherwise id get it through mail..

#48 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:42

:huh: What? I'm not even sure what to make of this...

You're local police and the federal government are not the same entity nor do they operate under the same rules.

#49 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:43

Why wait? We have heard it plenty. How about wait for something like why that sentiment is not correct? Nothing I do online is illegal so why do I care that they are wasting their time reading my email, facebook, etc. Nobody has every given a legitimate response without resorting to slippery slope logic.

Yeah okay. It's not hard to do a google search yourself.

http://en.wikipedia....con_as_metaphor

#50 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:44

That's never happened to me  I had to imput my banking info otherwise id get it through mail..

Might be a state thing. I know Oklahoma has its own credit office apart from the national one. What sucks is there is a 200 point different between my national score and my state score. :(

#51 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,134 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:45

You're local police and the federal government are not the same entity nor do they operate under the same rules.

I'm going to assume you aren't from the United States? As this isn't true for anything that falls under the scope of SCOTUS...

I will leave this here for you.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution

#52 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:49

Only if it happens and stays in the privacy of your own home. The second it leaves your home, in this case you send it over the internet unto public lines of communication, you lose that. That's what the courts have backed up time and time again.

Incorrect, encrypted communications even out in the public lines of communication are NOT subject to free-for-all examination, it is wholly illegal for any entity to decrypt encrypted data of any type without a warrant.

By your logic cell phone and telephone conversations are subject to warrantless search and seizure, evidence illegally collected without a warrant is constantly thrown out by the courts.

One of the main problems I have with this is that it is my data, and it is being copied and viewed by an entity that I did not give permission to do so, while nothing I do online is Illegal to the best of my knowledge, I cannot be 100% sure, no one can because there are so many laws on the books in the US where I've read that even the average law abiding citizen breaks laws at least 3-4 times a day without knowing it. 

Another problem I have is that its another series of databases, that I did not choose to store my data on, accessed by people that I do not know, I have no idea how well they are securing my data, or even if they are at all. With the number of attacks hourly on government computers, how long is it before the bad guys have everything the government collected too? These are legitimate security concerns when I decide to give my information to someone, they are even MORE relevant when my information is being TAKEN, even with the best of intentions (which they are not)

#53 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:56

Incorrect, encrypted communications even out in the public lines of communication are NOT subject to free-for-all examination, it is wholly illegal for any entity to decrypt encrypted data of any type without a warrant.

By your logic cell phone and telephone conversations are subject to warrantless search and seizure, evidence illegally collected without a warrant is constantly thrown out by the courts.

One of the main problems I have with this is that it is my data, and it is being copied and viewed by an entity that I did not give permission to do so, while nothing I do online is Illegal to the best of my knowledge, I cannot be 100% sure, no one can because there are so many laws on the books in the US where I've read that even the average law abiding citizen breaks laws at least 3-4 times a day without knowing it. 

Another problem I have is that its another series of databases, that I did not choose to store my data on, accessed by people that I do not know, I have no idea how well they are securing my data, or even if they are at all. With the number of attacks hourly on government computers, how long is it before the bad guys have everything the government collected too? These are legitimate security concerns when I decide to give my information to someone, they are even MORE relevant when my information is being TAKEN, even with the best of intentions (which they are not)

Never read your TOS for your service provider have you? You might want to. You'd be surprised what you give them the right to store. Your ISP has the right to read it and because they willingly give up whatever the government asks, so does the government.

#54 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:55

You can't lose something you never had. This is the problem with the majority of people. They actually think that if they do something in public, they still have the right to privacy. When you send it over the internet, OVER PUBLIC LINES OF COMMUNICATION, you have lost that right to privacy regarding that.

Even if this were true regarding encrypted communication (it is not) they are actively breaking security measures on data stored at banks or other institutions that people HAVE NEVER sent information over the internet to. They are allowing themselves access to databases not owned by them.

Your argument fails horribly when a massive amount of the information obtained is gained from private databases not sent over public lines of communication.

#55 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:56

I'm going to assume you aren't from the United States? As this isn't true for anything that falls under the scope of SCOTUS...

I will leave this here for you.

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution

You are right. I'm not from the USA. I pay federal and state tax in the USA just for ###### and giggles.

#56 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:57

Even if this were true regarding encrypted communication (it is not) they are actively breaking security measures on data stored at banks or other institutions that people HAVE NEVER sent information over the internet to. They are allowing themselves access to databases not owned by them.

Your argument fails horribly when a massive amount of the information obtained is gained from private databases not sent over public lines of communication.

So are you under the impression that your local branch for your bank has a server in the back room and that is the only place were they have your account information? If so, you are horribly misguided in that regard... well, unless its a private local bank obviously.

#57 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,784 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:00

since NSA is obsesed to spend U.S taxpayer money to cracking encryptions,

its highly recommended for anyone who have anti-US sentiment to always encrypt their digital communication, with encryption method that uses more than 4096-bits key, and doing this often, even if those communications content were actualy harmless to the U.S.

Therefore you and your groups might make a dent to U.S economic. :huh:

#58 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:01

Never read your TOS for your service provider have you? You might want to. You'd be surprised what you give them the right to store.

All the time, Ive dropped ISP's because of over broad TOS..

None of them have indicated that they will be performing illegal acts of breaking encryption on my encrypted data.

Again, regardless of this, the ISP is not the NSA, my agreement is with the ISP, if THEY store my data, the NSA STILL NEEDS A WARRANT TO OBTAIN IT. ISPs are not public entities, nor are their databases, this is something that you seem to be glossing over and ignoring rather conveniently because doing so supports your argument.

#59 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:03

since NSA is obsesed to spend U.S taxpayer money to cracking encryptions,

its highly recommended for anyone who have anti-US sentiment to always encrypt their digital communication, with encryption method that uses more than 4096-bits key, and doing this often, even if those communications content were actualy harmless to the U.S.

Therefore you and your groups might make a dent to U.S economic. :huh:

Simply the fact that the NSA is doing this should be enough to economically damage the US, I cant think of any tech company WANTING to do business with a US company now.

#60 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:04

All the time, Ive dropped ISP's because of over broad TOS..

None of them have indicated that they will be performing illegal acts of breaking encryption on my encrypted data.

Again, regardless of this, the ISP is not the NSA, my agreement is with the ISP, if THEY store my data, the NSA STILL NEEDS A WARRANT TO OBTAIN IT. ISPs are not public entities, nor are their databases, this is something that you seem to be glossing over and ignoring rather conveniently because doing so supports your argument.

That is not true about warrants. Warrants are only required IF the person being searched doesn't willingly give up the information and because most ISPs are government sponsored, either through massive tax breaks or other means, they rarely say no. The only time they say no is when it's a public thing and people are watching.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!