I watched a YT video from CNET about setting up an open source dropbox alternative. To my surprise there was really a good one waiting to be explored. www.owncloud.org
Ok. so down to my issues:
- TP link ADSL router TD-w8968
- FTP server ftp://koshur.homelinux.net (which is basically my 1TB segate HDD connected to router's USB interface)
- Got dyndns setup within the router to resolve hostname (credits to Budman and +sc302!)
- Two laptops logged on via wifi apart from two android smart phones.
- I use XMBC to stream content via SMB sever on my LAN.
What I'm trying to do:n
- For now, I want my data to reside on my FTP (HDD).
- Installed ownclound via .deb installer on Ubuntu 12.04. When i pulled up the index page (http://ipaddress/owncloud) it asked me to set location for the data reside.
- I entered the URL (root directory - that i have admin access, read write) of the SMB sever (my FTP) but it didn't accept and threw permission error (see below)
I read about the error at various thread like this one http://forum.ownclou...php?f=17&t=7118. Downloaded the admin user guide(http://doc.owncloud.org/) about setting up the SMB as location to save data. I guess i got caught up at 'Custom Mount Configuration' on page 41. Since I'm not from a programming field, couldn't make out the JSON thing.
I'm so willing to get this working. I would love to move on from Dropbox. If this works out, I'll probably think of getting a proper NAS device for backups. Now the reason I am wiling to go this far - Its a closest alternative I've come across to dropbox.
How to get my FTP (HDD) working as storage for owncloud.?
Best Answer +BudMan , 07 September 2013 - 13:24
I don't think that is the correct syntax for smbclient, I would think you should have to escape \ so it would be like \\\\192.168.1.1
But I think you can just do something with -L and the IP.. it will throw out some errors but should work
budman@ubuntu:/$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.8 Enter budman's password: Domain=[STORAGE] OS=[Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials 6.1] Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin C$ Disk Default share D$ Disk Default share F$ Disk Default share G$ Disk Default share H$ Disk Default share IPC$ IPC Remote IPC J Disk J$ Disk Default share Media Disk Molly Disk Music Disk temp Disk session request to 192.168.1.8 failed (Called name not present) session request to 192 failed (Called name not present) session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present) NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available budman@ubuntu:/$Go to the full post