Question

Posted

Hi,

I watched a YT video from CNET about setting up an open source dropbox alternative. To my surprise there was really a good one waiting to be explored. www.owncloud.org

Ok. so down to my issues:

Setup:

1. TP link ADSL router TD-w8968 
  2. FTP server ftp://koshur.homelinux.net (which is basically my 1TB segate HDD connected to router's USB interface)
  3. Got dyndns setup within the router to resolve hostname (credits to Budman and +sc302!)
  4. Two laptops logged on via wifi apart from two android smart phones.
  5. I use XMBC to stream content via SMB sever on my LAN.

What I'm trying to do:n 

• For now, I want my data to reside on my FTP (HDD).  
  • Installed ownclound via .deb installer on Ubuntu 12.04. When i pulled up the index page (http://ipaddress/owncloud) it asked me to set location for the data reside. 
  • I entered the URL (root directory - that i have admin access, read write) of the SMB sever (my FTP) but it didn't accept and threw permission error (see below)

[attachment=343441:Screenshot from 2013-09-06 21:39:38.png]

I read about the error at various thread like this one http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7118. Downloaded the admin user guide(http://doc.owncloud.org/) about setting up the SMB as location to save data. I guess i got caught up at 'Custom Mount Configuration' on page 41. Since I'm not from a programming field, couldn't make out the JSON thing.

I'm so willing to get this working. I would love to move on from Dropbox. If this works out, I'll probably think of getting a proper NAS device for backups. Now the reason I am wiling to go this far - Its a closest alternative I've come across to dropbox. 

How to get my FTP (HDD) working as storage for owncloud.?

Thanks
MArk

31 answers to this question

Posted

that is not your smb index of shares - your hitting ftp in that screeny not \\servername

Here is example of smb shares on a server

[attachment=343517:exampleofindexofrootshare.png]

Posted

I guess mine would then be this:

[attachment=343519:Screenshot from 2013-09-07 18:43:05.png]

[attachment=343521:Screenshot from 2013-09-07 18:43:15.png]

[attachment=343523:Screenshot from 2013-09-07 18:43:36.png]

The issue here is the space in device name.

Posted

not sure if it was answered or not, but adsl%20router is showing you a special character, in this case a space. for unix to like this, it needs " " around the path, or a backslash after asdl (asdl\ router). or alternativly you can remove that space from your asdl routers name. If other things are configured this can be problematic. Hope this helps you with future special characters. also remember Asdlrouter is different from asdlrouter in the unix world (caps matter, extensions don't)

I got owncloud installed on my freeBSD server and super easy to get working, but it was terrible at performing.. very buggy, froze the server up every time a file over 2MB was transferred. Good thing I made backups! Hope your ubuntu install goes better.

1 person likes this

Posted

thanks.. it worked with 

/home/koshur# smbclient -L //192.168.1.1/segate -U admin
root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# smbclient -L //192.168.1.1/segate -U admin
Enter admin's password: 
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a]

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
segate(sda1)    Disk      
movies(sda1)    Disk      
IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a]

Server               Comment
---------            -------
ADSL ROUTER          Samba Server
KOSHUR-HP-PROBO      koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s server (Samba, Ubu

Workgroup            Master
---------            -------
WORKGROUP            KOSHUR-HP-PROBO

I'll try testing it for some time and decide if i should stick to it or not. 

Cheers!!

Posted

not sure if it was answered or not, but adsl%20router is showing you a special character, in this case a space. for unix to like this, it needs " " around the path, or a backslash after asdl (asdl\ router). or alternativly you can remove that space from your asdl routers name. If other things are configured this can be problematic. Hope this helps you with future special characters. also remember Asdlrouter is different from asdlrouter in the unix world (caps matter, extensions don't)

I got owncloud installed on my freeBSD server and super easy to get working, but it was terrible at performing.. very buggy, froze the server up every time a file over 2MB was transferred. Good thing I made backups! Hope your ubuntu install goes better.

Thanks for the tip. I'll put it to some testing and see how it tuns out on ubuntu

Posted

your listing with -L is messed up.. So in your screeny showing how you had it setup, you called your sharename segate, but then in your connection via smbclient it lists your shares as

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
segate(sda1)    Disk      
movies(sda1)    Disk      
Where (sda1) is added to the sharename??

So far from what I can see the tp-link implementation of SAMBA is horrific! Seems you can not change the server name or workgroup name.. And it mangles what you create for a share name? That is terrible way to go about it, and seems it defaults to netbios name with a space in the name that you can not alter? Pathetic if you ask me.. Good luck with it, I can only assume its performance is par with what we have seen so far ;)