Looking for media sharing and entertainment options

I have two rooms in my house that I would like to have access to my music and videos on my server (2012) as well as internet browsing (mainly Youtube). Obviously this is nothing new, there are Google TV devices but they are mostly lack luster as far as reviews go or continue to go unsupported. I do have an HTPC currently but it's clunky. I would like to have the nice interface of a Google TV but be able to access the various video formats and music on my server.

Simply, I'm looking for an elegant solution to all of this and I'm not sure one exists. Perhaps the Xbox One is the solution? But I have a feeling it's completely centered around subscription services and not in-house streaming.

You can do the one of the following:

Xbox (media share enabled) (at least my xbox 360 works across my network.)

Apple TV

Google TV

Mediashare (or allshare)

HTPC with shared network (or homegroup)

and many more to list.

You can do the one of the following:

Xbox (media share enabled) (at least my xbox 360 works across my network.)

Apple TV

Google TV

Mediashare (or allshare)

HTPC with shared network (or homegroup)

and many more to list.

Thanks, but, as I mentioned, Google TV devices usually get bad reviews which involve insufficient processing power and crashing and frequently they go unsupported. I don't have an Xbox so I'd have to get that and then, would it play videos in formats such as MKV? An HTPC is an option (I already have one) but, also, as I mentioned, it's clunky without a better UI that's meant to be used at a distance and perhaps with a remote control of sorts (this includes web browsing).

Thanks, but, as I mentioned, Google TV devices usually get bad reviews which involve insufficient processing power and crashing and frequently they go unsupported. I don't have an Xbox so I'd have to get that and then, would it play videos in formats such as MKV? An HTPC is an option (I already have one) but, also, as I mentioned, it's clunky without a better UI that's meant to be used at a distance and perhaps with a remote control of sorts (this includes web browsing).

Have you tried Plex? XBMC? other media center app?

If you get Xbox, you can use smartglass on either tablet or phone so you could control media content or web browsing. Also, you can use plex or xbmc content on xbox (360 or X1)  Which you could play most video/music formats available.

Have you tried Plex? XBMC? other media center app?

If you get Xbox, you can use smartglass on either tablet or phone so you could control media content or web browsing. Also, you can use plex or xbmc content on xbox (360 or X1)  Which you could play most video/music formats available.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll try them both out.

This is pretty neat but I don't see a way to stream my personal video collection which includes MKV formats. Also, I don't plan on sticking with the Google environment. I ordered it anyway though since it's cheap and cool/useful.

Just throwing it in to the mix, but have you looked at the raspberry pi running xbmc? does all the video/music/you tube, the only down side is it doesn't really browse the net. is a cheap and easy setup tho.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll try them both out.

This is pretty neat but I don't see a way to stream my personal video collection which includes MKV formats. Also, I don't plan on sticking with the Google environment. I ordered it anyway though since it's cheap and cool/useful.

Just need mycast to be approved.  Check the first link.