windows phone 8 gdr3

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:25

WPCentral has images and new info on GDR3.

Windows Phone 8 GDR3 is OS Build 10484.

Later this year, towards the November time frame, Microsoft is rumored to be releasing Windows Phone 8 General Distribution Release 3 (GDR3) along with alleged new firmware from Nokia named “Bittersweet shimmer” (originally reported by the site Nokiapoweruser). The OS update will once again enable new hardware features like advanced Qualcomm processors and 1080P display resolution, but it will also have numerous enhancements for current devices. The release will coincide with the availability of Nokia’s Lumia 1520 with a 6-inch display.

Tonight, a poster in the Windows Phone Central Forums with the handle xs2k has posted alleged screenshots running Windows Phone 8 OS Build 10484, supposedly taken from a Lumia 920 developer device picked up on Craig’s List.

Bittersweet_Shimmer_GDR3_screens.jpg?ito

GDR3_Screens2_0.png?itok=7do2Nc-v

Update 2:30 AM ET: Windows Phone Central has learned of some additional features found in GDR3 through an additional source, unrelated to xs2k

Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders

Restore over Wi-Fi when you reset your phone

Huge amount of work on Bluetooth with various vehicles and devices

Update 2:30 AM ET: We have secondary confirmation that these images and features are authentic.

http://www.wpcentral...ersweet-shimmer

#2 scorpian007

scorpian007

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 930 Orange

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:26

Need separate volume for system, music and ringtones too!

#3 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:44

They need to add blocking calls!

#4 jez_johnson74

jez_johnson74

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:53

They need to add blocking calls!

GDR2 has this already - block number comes up if you hold on a call list number

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:20

Need separate volume for system, music and ringtones too!

It's so annoying on my android when I adjust the volume, and expect it to be low or mute, and then it's in another part of the OS and it's super loud, or the other way around. And how it's almost impossible to adjust certain volumes since you need to be in a specific place.

#6 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:43

It's so annoying on my android when I adjust the volume, and expect it to be low or mute, and then it's in another part of the OS and it's super loud, or the other way around. And how it's almost impossible to adjust certain volumes since you need to be in a specific place.

Samsung has a good system (the last time I checked on a Galaxy Note 2 about 6 months ago) where using the volume rocker will bring up the rocker for the app/part of OS you are currently using but also provide options for the other parts of the OS.

(I think...)

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:58

Samsung has a good system (the last time I checked on a Galaxy Note 2 about 6 months ago) where using the volume rocker will bring up the rocker for the app/part of OS you are currently using but also provide options for the other parts of the OS.

(I think...)

Sounds like an overly complicated solution, so I would have to use the rocker, look at the screen, figure out which of the options are the one I want, click that, then change the volume.

I dunno, sometimes I see that it's good to have separate volumes, but I findit annoying far more. And I'm not sure I see the necessity. Why would you need different volume for alarms,ring tones and message and alerts ?

#8 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24

Sounds like an overly complicated solution, so I would have to use the rocker, look at the screen, figure out which of the options are the one I want, click that, then change the volume.

I dunno, sometimes I see that it's good to have separate volumes, but I findit annoying far more. And I'm not sure I see the necessity. Why would you need different volume for alarms,ring tones and message and alerts ?

Well the most obvious example of why you might want separate volumes is alarms - you might want them at a louder volume than music. But other than that - I agree, separate volumes can be rather annoying. The few times I've thought my phone was on silent and I decided to sneakily play a game when my attention should have been somewhere else... suffice to say the game never happened  :cry: (This particular face is applicable because that's how I felt when I had to listen to the excruciatingly boring talk instead of playing a nice game...)

#9 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:28

no problem on my end. I get 3 sliders, one for universal volume, ringer and alarm volume when I press volume buttons. I don't see what the problem is.

#10 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:47

Well the most obvious example of why you might want separate volumes is alarms - you might want them at a louder volume than music. But other than that - I agree, separate volumes can be rather annoying. The few times I've thought my phone was on silent and I decided to sneakily play a game when my attention should have been somewhere else... suffice to say the game never happened  :cry: (This particular face is applicable because that's how I felt when I had to listen to the excruciatingly boring talk instead of playing a nice game...)

Alarms are automatically loud on WP and will sound even if the phone is set to silent. 

#11 subcld

subcld

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 830

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:41

that X button reminds me of symbian days :wacko:  why can't they use swap down to close apps like windows 8 :/

#12 AngryOldPerson

AngryOldPerson

all hail pirate minion

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:55

custom sounds for everything other than ringtone is long overdue...why this wasn't included in the wp platform from day one i'll never know

#13 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:03

A lot of work for them to do - good to see they're putting in all sorts of good stuff! :) (close from multitasking screen woo!)

#14 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:30

A lot of work for them to do - good to see they're putting in all sorts of good stuff! :) (close from multitasking screen woo!)

This is one feature I've been looking forward to for a long time.  Hopefully it will be simple for developers to support if that's necessary for things like save on exit.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:40

But without that you'd have to constantly change the volume every time you used it for a different purpose (media, alarms, apps, etc). It's clearly a feature that a lot of people want, so it's a case of how it should be implemented not whether it should be.