Why is HTC struggling so much?

This is frivolous, but I just don't understand. Yeah, their Android version lack some features that the Galaxies have, however, the entire industry lacks these too and they seem to be doing fine (Also, many of the features in Samsung products feel a little gimicky, as an owner of a rooted Note 8.0)

HTC phones are very good looking, are fast and they're not as expensive, specially the medium-high range (Loving my One S that I got for... $99). Why are they struggling compared to mediocre handsets like Motorola, LG or some Sony models?

I think they're doing okay and may swing around.

Their HTC One is a great phone (yes I own one) and they have some good innovations coming up.

As long as they keep the updates coming, or at least the devices supported, they should be on a winner.

They left a bad taste in consumers mouths after the htc HD2. The HD2 was an amazing device and if htc kept with it, then they would be in a different position than now. However, they released crap devices and devices that lost support after only a couple of months of release and it did not leave a good feeling with consumers. 

I think the core of their problem is twofold.

Too many devices released too fast, and poor after-sales support.

Ding! we have a winner.

My Sensation was EOL very very quickly and they stopped releasing updates. Had to turn to custom ROMS to get it to a decent Android version.

Now my Nexus will not have that problem.

Ding! we have a winner.

My Sensation was EOL very very quickly and they stopped releasing updates. Had to turn to custom ROMS to get it to a decent Android version.

Now my Nexus will not have that problem.

Yes, this might be, but again, they are no worse than others.

Partly because the techies have long memories, and we remember the old and the not so old totally crappy HTC phones. Bad production quality, terrible hardware choices (memory on the desire anyone), and the terrible software.

Many of these problems still exist.

The other part is that they're competing with Samsung who literally bought the market in 3 different ways, both through consumers and the retailers in a pincer move.

Also people understandably don't understand their naming.

No one knows the One is a newer model than the One S. and the people who have bad experiences from the One S and it's lesser siblings think the One is the same phone.

I don't know how it is in other countries but in Spain at least HTC doesn't have nearly as much advertising as Samsung. Unless you go and do some research on your own it would seem that the only choice for a "premium" phone besides the iPhone is the latest Galaxy S.

Also people understandably don't understand their naming.

No one knows the One is a newer model than the One S. and the people who have bad experiences from the One S and it's lesser siblings think the One is the same phone.

Yeah, HTC's naming for devices is really murky. 

Samsung also has several different devices with unclear naming, but they did a good job at letting consumers know that their top tier phones are the Galaxy Sx.

htc spread themselves too thinly a couple of years ago, the phone quality dropped, and the support lifespan was severely compromised

while that was happening samsung stole the show for android phones, and haven't looked like letting anyone back in

I wouldn't say that Motorola, LG or Sony are doing all that well.  The only Android OEM that's doing well is Samsung.

Sony is doing good.......at second place to Samsung

Sony is only now starting to do well. mostly because after they started to waterproof their phone and now only making waterproof phones people have really started to pick them up and they're getting top scores in the tests. it's especially handy over here where the cold winter causes a lot of condensation and people walk from hot inside to cold outside a lot. Samsungs slowness to see the threat of this and adapt is what's caused Sony to get such a good position, that and their pretty decent cameras, doesn't help that the Samsung active models don't live up to their IP65 standards. 

These are the reasons Why i think HTC is struggling:

1) Poor or lack of updates.

2) Android is simply over crowded

3) Lack of awareness and marketing. Samsung is killing it.

4) Too many patent disputes which now seems to have settled thanks to their deal with MS and others.

5) Bad management. CEO for instance.