Photo

Asking for help with your assignments...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 22 September 2013 - 20:28

I hope you don't think that I'm trying to exploit the help of you all with my issues in my code.  I am trying to do as much as possible before I ask someone for help with my code.  I apologize if I have offended anyone, that was not my intention.

From what I've seen, your questions have been fine, don't worry about it :). We've got no problem offering help if you're genuinely stuck and have tried at least. Hell, we've all been there :).

#17 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 September 2013 - 21:39

Agreed.  The way I see it, asking for help is great.  I encourage it of my developers, it's how people used to learn and still do.  Doing all of someones work for them is not actually helping them.  You structure your requests well!

This is why my answers to people's questions are not answers but pointers such as "XXXXXXXX is your friend" or "google: xxxxxxx"

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 20:56

I argue that IT as a sector has grown, and more people are going to uni (some that I genuinely believe shouldn't).  As such, the percentage of laziness has grown.  But as an employer I don't think it's as bad as people make out.  Also as an employer it's on me to make sure I don't employ these people.

I value the ability to ask (THE RIGHT) questions very much!

Grown? It's changed beyond all recognition from the old days.  More than half the programmers at my work can't even count in hexadecimal or binary, and some of them don't even have home computers!  I swear, the guy I sit next to is a Luddite...  He doesn't even have a cellphone... Oh, and our head dba is a hippy, literally.. He plays the sitar, has hair down to his ass, and wears red lensed shades in the dark.

#19 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:20

I value the ability to ask (THE RIGHT) questions very much!

Amen.

I've brought people "in to the fold" as it were, and I've always been wary. But at the same time, I know the people that I've brought in. The problem on their side is that I bring them in and they find themselves on the back-foot compared to the rest of the team. On my side I know that they will be there from the beginning, learning, and I am happy to answer their questions.
The issue I then have though is that they start going quiet. In their mind they are asking too many questions, they want to know "instinctively" like the rest of us. In that situation I say the same thing every time. "I will tell you when you're getting on my nerves for asking the same thing over and over again. Otherwise, ask away."

The same applies here. I am happy to help, but I will lead you towards the answer. I won't give it straight, because that is not the way that I learn.

#20 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Phone: Android

Posted 05 October 2013 - 23:06

I ask for help with assignments, personal projects and even work all the time ... I am bad at asking questions but I can normally keep a post going and respond with information people want to know to help me fix my issue, the only thing that annoys me about people asking for help with their homework on this site is when they do not try...

I have learnt so much from the people on this site, even if it has been homework help, because I take in what has been taught to me ...I never copy and paste, and a solution given to me has always been reprogrammed so I understand the structure..

(in note to those who have helped me with all types of projects I must thank you but especially budman and asik)

#21 afnan

afnan

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:53

Write a program that, given the number of kilometers traveled and the gallons of gasoline consumed, produces the kilometers per gallon and the kilometers per liter. In your program you should define a function for kilometers per gallon, and another function for kilometers per liter. This program should repeat as many times as the user wishes.

1 Liter = 0.264172051 Gallon

1 Gallon = 3.7854118 Liter

please help me i want to  solve the question :cry:  :cry:  :cry: now now :(

#22 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:01

please help me i want to  solve the question :cry:  :cry:  :cry: now now :(

Hi afnan,

This is a good example of what we are talking about in this thread. You have provided the community with the question, you have asked for help, but you haven't explained to us what you have done so far in making the program. We will not write the program for you. If you are having issues with your code then you can show us and we can try and see where the error is, but just providing the question and not showing any of the work that you have done will not work with us.

You should also start a new thread with your issue rather than taking a different thread off-topic. I'm going to keep your post here because it's a good example of what we are talking about in this discussion, but please open a new thread to receive help from the community. No one will reply to you in this thread with regards to the problem.

#23 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 November 2013 - 18:35

This is not the right place to be asking problems, this thread is about asking problems, create a thread in this forum with your question please. Thread Cleaned.

#24 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2013 - 18:57

Speaking as someone who has gone back to school to get his degree and who is approaching the end of a C++ programming course, I have to applaud this topic. Being near the top of my class I'm extremely annoyed by the 'bottom-feeders' who want to copy-paste their way to an 'A'.

Online courses are the best way to flush out the ones who are lazy. We'll be given a topic and be expected to write anywhere from 100 to 250 words on the subject and you'll see the majority of your classmates submitting 20-30 word submissions. To be fair, I'm the nut on the other end of the curve throwing out 350-400 word submissions because I really get into this stuff.

And the FloatingFatMan gets a vigorous head nod from me!!! OMG!! You have hit the nail on the head with the state of things today. I'm in the U.S. btw, so the trend is not UK only.  I don't see how anyone in the field of technology can NOT know hexadecimal or binary and yet...there they are. At least my college tries to do its part by throwing a HUGE hexadecimal/binary wave of learning towards new students and that does a pretty good job of flushing out the ones who are just there in class because they think an IT degree will equate to an easy, fat paycheck.

#25 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 November 2013 - 18:09

Questions moved to a new thread, since this topic is NOT for the purpose of asking questions, its a guideline on how to create question threads. The thread is visible here: http://www.neowin.ne...teger-is-a-mul/

#26 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:11

This probably needs to be copied and made sticky at the Web Design / Programming section, too.