Photo

How do I dual boot XP and 8 (upgrade edition)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2013 - 17:11

Hi

Please forgive me for this stupid question, for some reason I haven't kept notes on how I done this and Google is not being my friend. 

I have a PC with Windows XP installed and want to dual boot it with Windows 8 upgrade edition.  I have 5 licences for XP, one of which I used as an upgrade to 8.  The XP installation on my PC does not have the license that i used to upgrade to 8 so no problems there but for the life of me I can't remember how I done it last time.

I have had to replace my hard drive, I have cloned XP and 8 across but the MBR didn't make the copy (bigger drive) so I had to do an XP repair to bring it back.  I'm happy to reinstall 8 as i don't use that much (yet) but I don't remember how to do the dual boot.

Thanks

#2 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 September 2013 - 19:22

Hmm not reading that too good.......just for clarity

You have one partioned hard drive

You have XP on one partition

You have Windows 8 on a second exteneded partition

The boot loader only sees XP?

If all the above is correct running the Windows 8 MBR repair tool should find both installs

#3 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:02

Hmm not reading that too good.......just for clarity

You have one partioned hard drive

You have XP on one partition

You have Windows 8 on a second exteneded partition

The boot loader only sees XP?

If all the above is correct running the Windows 8 MBR repair tool should find both installs

That's right, it's strange though because it doesnt seem to find 8.  My solution is just to reinstall 8 again but I don't remember how I managed to keep XP in place last time and get 8(upgrade edition) installed as well without having to install a second copy of XP on the extended partition and then 8 over it.

#4 killerninja

killerninja

Neowinian

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:08

All you need to do is throw dog poo at a cop

#5 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 September 2013 - 17:09

you need to run the install from within xp and be careful not to choose the upgrade option