Making/Recording Songs - Help Needed

Hi guys, this is a very noob question but any help would be great to get started right away

Me and my friend, we both sing what we think is ?pretty good? ? we are only starting to get into it, we have some nice songs we have written and want to try and make them sound ?pro?

Maybe we can find some type of software to enhance the sound? Is their such a thing?

To make things nicer we also plan to hire and record in a studio in the following weeks ? but we have never done that before. We want to do learn it and do it from scratch ourselves and with guidance from anyone online.

Can people help in terms of what we should download to start? Or if there is something to help us to make our sound and songs good?

What is the actual point of a studio? Does it make the sound clearer of our vocals or something?

Thank you for all tips and advice

What is the actual point of a studio? Does it make the sound clearer of our vocals or something?

Recording studios have rooms that are acoustically treated to minimise unwanted reverberations, equipment that has very low signal-to-noise ratios and employees experienced in sound recording. For instance, it's all very well going out and buying expensive equipment and software yourself but if you don't know how to use it properly then your results aren't going to be very good. That's why hiring a recording studio is a great place to get started, even though it can be quite costly.

Can people help in terms of what we should download to start? Or if there is something to help us to make our sound and songs good?

If you're starting from basics then you can grab Reaper for free and head to the forums for advice. You'll also need a decent recording interface to capture the sound if you don't already have one, something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Do you have a microphone and pop-shield? If not then you could grab something like the Audio Technica AT2020 and this.

Me and my friend, we both sing what we think is ?pretty good? ? we are only starting to get into it, we have some nice songs we have written and want to try and make them sound ?pro?

When you say you have "written" some songs, what exactly does that mean? You don't mention any musical ability, so I'm assuming that neither of you actually play any instruments and that you don't have any notation for your vocal melodies. If that's the case then you're going to need some musicians to work with or a music producer who can add a backing track to your recordings. 

Maybe we can find some type of software to enhance the sound? Is their such a thing?

Yes there is but it requires an understanding of musical theory and DAWs (digital audio workstations). It's also expensive, with Melodyne Studio costing over ?500 - that's without a DAW to accompany it, with Cubase and Pro Tools both costing in the region of ?500. It sounds like you're after something a bit more basic. At the budget end you can get Cubase Artist 7 and use the built-in Tuner plugin.

It's a bit hard to suggest anything else without more information.

Best of luck. :)

• Like 1