xbox one microsoft

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:15

Why is everyone focusing on the My Pins section to say its an ugly UI?

When you look at the Home section and the other sections, it looks quite nice in my opinion.

The Pins section is customizable, which means you could remove all of those pins if you don't want to see them, and it seems that you can resize the pinned tiles as you wish.

#47 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:54

Why is everyone focusing on the My Pins section to say its an ugly UI?

When you look at the Home section and the other sections, it looks quite nice in my opinion.

The Pins section is customizable, which means you could remove all of those pins if you don't want to see them, and it seems that you can resize the pinned tiles as you wish.

Not to mention they said you can use voice to navigate it in its entirety with no lag.  I don't intend to bother with the GUI much.

#48 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:22

We'll need to see a more complete, vanilla version of the UI, I'm betting that's still beta and that what they showed behind closed doors at gamescon is more complete.  

#49 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:57

People do really try to poke holes at the smallest of things about a console they're not buying? Why did the gaming community turn infant this generation?

It looks great for a beta. The pins are what you make of them, you make it look like you want. It looks clean and customisable with some really great multi-tasking features. Sony haven't really modified their UI designs since the PSP, yet they can't do no wrong.

#50 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 September 2013 - 13:01

Took much green, and the wall of metro tiles is a little unorganized in my opinion. But as long as they let us customize colors, tile size, and placement I think it will be fine. I'm really hoping they'll let us customize every tab (like Games/TV, etc) but I doubt it.

#51 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:41

Why did the gaming community turn infant this generation?

This generation? Pffft i remember getting snubbed because i had an Atari ST and all the cool kids had Amigas :p

#52 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:49

Windows 8 all over again :cry: Hate it

#53 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:12

Windows 8 all over again :cry: Hate it

Do you just hate the screen with the wall of small tiles or is every section ugly to you?

#54 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:16

The tile interface.

I don't mind it being 1 large area that scrolls for different functions, but anything that resembles Windows 8 should be killed IMO :p

Thank god we'll only have to suffer it for a couple of years at least before they redesign (presumably).

#55 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:09

The tile interface.

I don't mind it being 1 large area that scrolls for different functions, but anything that resembles Windows 8 should be killed IMO :p

Thank god we'll only have to suffer it for a couple of years at least before they redesign (presumably).

So you are referring to the section that was shown to the left that is a bunch of green small tiles?

If you are, then the good part about that is that its the pinned tile section.  That means you can, in theory, remove all of those tiles, resize the ones that you want to keep, and possibly change the colors.

Your right though, like windows 8, it will be improved over time. 

#56 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:03

I haven't watched the video since it was leaked & I think it was removed? But yes when the guy scrolled left it had icons for things usually buried in Account, Profile etc like today's dash, aka clutter and mess.

Clean, minimal, straight forward. How all UI should be (Y)

Not a million boxes on show that I don't need to see day to day (N)

Thank god Sinofsky is gone :yes:

#57 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:24

Ah ok, then you should feel better because that section can be customized, so it doesn't have to be cluttered like that.

I know I wont have many pins there.

The other sections of the UI are as you said, clean minimal and straight forward.  The Home section has a large tile with the game your playing and then the other sections to the right have a large tile to choose the section.  We haven't seen what the section look like in detail. 

#58 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 14 September 2013 - 19:11

:rolleyes:

If you really must roll your eyes at me ... I'll pick them both up and roll them right back!

#59 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 September 2013 - 21:48

Thank god Sinofsky is gone :yes:

What does that have to do with anything. He neither designed or approved the modern UI. The one who was primarily in charge or Modern UI is now in charge of windows, and modern UI is going to be the base of the continued UI development of all MS devices and software. So get used to the tiles. They're not going anywhere.

Besides they're nice and clean, far better than any alternative I've seen yet. And you don't have to create a messy pinned tile section like the guy in the video.

#60 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 14 September 2013 - 22:52

Ah ok, then you should feel better because that section can be customized, so it doesn't have to be cluttered like that.

I know I wont have many pins there.

The other sections of the UI are as you said, clean minimal and straight forward.  The Home section has a large tile with the game your playing and then the other sections to the right have a large tile to choose the section.  We haven't seen what the section look like in detail. 

That's not what I said, I wasn't talking about X1's UI :p