Photo

Debunked: 9 Common Myths About Technology

iphones batteries memory effect digital millennium copyright cell phone tower megapixels os x

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,848 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:37

#9 reminds me of this:

TheRipHDMI3.jpg

#17 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:43

Marshall, on 08 Sept 2013 - 16:50, said:

I do, however, make sure that it's not writing to the drive or "in use" before I yank it out. :)

Indeed! Never yank anything out while it is still in use. :drool:

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,502 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 17:42

#9....tell that to the people who bought those cheapo iPhone adapters that caught or electrocuted.

#19 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 17:45

#9....tell that to the people who bought those cheapo iPhone adapters that caught or electrocuted.

#9 isn't about power adapters, it's about things like HDMI cables.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:51

Like I always say, life's too short to remove USB safely.

9. It depends on whether you're sending a digital or analog signal.

Except well known hifi purists, I believe including the boss of Monster, have all backed out of double blind tests between expensive high end speaker cables and coat hangers ;)

#21 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,277 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:57

1 i still don't agree with, i understand that it doesn't matter however i have done the method of fully charging and fully discharging, whilst hardly ever if not ever start charging at 50% and my batteries always outlast my friends / family with the same devices. I have a MacBook which i have only ever discharged and recharged and after 7 years the battery is still at 90% capacity and will easily last 2 hours. 

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:12

1 i still don't agree with, i understand that it doesn't matter however i have done the method of fully charging and fully discharging, whilst hardly ever if not ever start charging at 50% and my batteries always outlast my friends / family with the same devices. I have a MacBook which i have only ever discharged and recharged and after 7 years the battery is still at 90% capacity and will easily last 2 hours. 

Lithium batteries last by cycles, and they have no memory effect.

If your battery outlast them it's because you use less power than them.

As for battery lifetime. LiIon batteries come in 300 cycles, 600 cycles(used to be most common for laptops) 900 cycles (new high end batteries about a year and a half ago) and 1200-1500 cycles, new batteries in the latest 2013 higher end Samsung laptops, and other manufacturers who buy samsung batteries(Asus I believe and possibly Apple).

decent manufacturers alsomake sure that their Lithium batteries with multiple cells include balancers. so that th laptop use the lithium cells in order, and don't allways start with the first cell so that one gets worn out faster than the other cells. since the average use of a laptop battery before charging is less than half, you can increase the lifetime of the lithium battery before reduction in capacity by many times over by balancing the cells. 

#23 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,749 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:40

No it doesn't.  Batteries these days are designed not to go below a certain power level before they shut off.  When your phone is reading 0% and turns off, the battery itself still has juice.

Yeah, my iPhone turns itself off at 10%, I couldn't completely discharge the battery even if I wanted to.

Mine doesn't pre-emptively shut down and I didn't know that the iPhone does. In any case using it to 10% is still more demanding on the battery than stopping earlier.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:00

Mine doesn't pre-emptively shut down and I didn't know that the iPhone does. In any case using it to 10% is still more demanding on the battery than stopping earlier.

Actually it does shut down before it's empty, it's just that your phone counts 5% or some other value as 0% as far as you are concerned. 

If your phone let the lithium battery run to 0% you would never be able to charge it again, a lithium battery literally dies if it ever reaches 0% as the chemical reactions stop and can't be restarted. 

How low you let the battery drop before chargign as long as it isn't empty doesn't affect the battery though. 

#25 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,411 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:17

Yeah, if a cell in a lithium ion battery is discharged completely, other cells will start trying to "charge" it, which just damages it.

#26 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:24

Always enjoyed the "expensive HDMI cable" one. A fool and his money...

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 15:08

#7 I can't remember the last time I removed a pen drive, external HDD or camera...etc using "eject" and never had any problems. I do, however, make sure that it's not writing to the drive or "in use" before I yank it out. :)

I always safely eject in both Windows and Linux and have never had a problem either. I have corrupted two USB drives by pulling them out without doing that, however.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:50

I always safely eject in both Windows and Linux and have never had a problem either. I have corrupted two USB drives by pulling them out without doing that, however.

pulling them out won't ruin or corrupt the USB drive. it'll at worst break the file being copied.

#29 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,712 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:17

I have to agree with #9; I bought a 24 gauge HDMI cable from Monoprice.com, and it works great.  The cost? $21.  I can't believe there are still people out there who are duped into buying a similar product from Monster Cables for $200.  Oh, and my cable was 25 feet long.

#30 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:19

I have to agree with #9; I bought a 24 gauge HDMI cable from Monoprice.com, and it works great.  The cost? $21.  I can't believe there are still people out there who are duped into buying a similar product from Monster Cables for $200.  Oh, and my cable was 25 feet long.

Impressive price for the length :)