Playstation Vita TV announced, play Vita titles on TV/multiroom for PS4

PS Vita is small box that allows your TV to "evolve" with digital content. Also plays PS Vita games and allows for PS4 remote play.

9,480 yen, about $100, for the PS Vita TV.

Nov 14 in Japan

i9iK0hFhlnOtF.jpg

Today in Tokyo, Sony introduced PS Vita TV. It is six centimeter by ten centimeter device, making it the smallest piece of PlayStation hardware.

It will allow you to enjoy video and network streaming services on your TV, such as Hulu and NicoNico Douga. It also allows PS Vita TV owners to play games.

More to follow

http://kotaku.com/introducing-ps-vita-tv-1276599936?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Sony have just surprised us all by revealing PlayStation Vita TV, a 6cm by 10cm (tiny) device which allows you to watch video and network services or even play Vita and PSP games on your TV, controlled by a DualShock 3.

It appears to be a small console which is powered by the same stuff as the Vita, and includes an HDMI port for hooking up to your TV. There?ll be 1300 titles available

The system also works as a companion device, which allows you to play PS4 games in another room without the need for a second console. That?s amazing.

It?ll be available in Japan on November 14th and will cost 9,945 yen or 14,994 yen with tax for a bundle including a controller and an 8GB memory card.

So, that?s about ?70 for a device that allows you to play Vita games on your TV, or PS4 games in another room, as well as a plethora of TV and video content. I?m in.

Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/09/sony-announce-a-new-console-playstation-vita-tv/

Do people really want to play vita games on their tv? I mean, some vita games are even lower res than wii games so they'll look quite hideous hooked up to the typical 1080p display.

Do people really want to play vita games on their tv? I mean, some vita games are even lower res than wii games so they'll look quite hideous hooked up to the typical 1080p display.

It does PS1/PSP and multiroom for PS4 games as well. I'm sure there is some sort of upscaling going on, it seems to do Netflix in HD so should output at 1080p.

Sadly no 1080p, it's 720p or 1080i

iboA6hCeKk5TZj.jpg

Not that Vita games can run in 1080p, but still.

DS4 compatible for those wondering (http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf)

o6n0TMR.png

PlayStation?4 (PS4TM) remote play

As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4TM remote play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK?4) through future system software update*4. This will allow users to enjoy most of the PS4TM games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4TM system.

I'm guessing you're referring to the minis. I can't find any info on resolution though; does anyone have a source? All I can find is the Vita's screen resolution, which is 960x544, higher than the Wii.

I'm guessing you're referring to the minis. I can't find any info on resolution though; does anyone have a source? All I can find is the Vita's screen resolution, which is 960x544, higher than the Wii.

That's the resolution of the screen, yes, but many games don't run at that resolution. Some games run as low as 640x368. Which would indeed put those certain titles just a little below the wii.

That's the resolution of the screen, yes, but many games don't run at that resolution. Some games run as low as 640x368. Which would indeed put those certain titles just a little below the wii.

Thanks for that. (Y)

Full specs in English now...

137871490815.png

How do the Vita games that use the back touch thing work though?

Patched and/or once the DS4 is out it at least has a touchpad.

Random, off topic question, but why are the Japanese gamers names written with the characters from a Latin alphabet, while the rest of the text is written in what ever system of Japanese they are using?

Just wondering.

Patched and/or once the DS4 is out it at least has a touchpad.

I'd have to try it first before I can really comment, but having used the back touchpad of the Vita, and being rather impressed by it, the front touchpad on the DS4 seems like it'd be a markedly inferior experience.

Maybe you can use the Vita to control the Vita TV  :rofl:

Edit: Even if the DS4 will be out when the Vita TV is launched, will it come with the Vita TV? Because those press images above show no touchpad on the included controller. Also, The Verge says that

" Not all PS Vita games will be supported, however, since the DualShock 3 controller lacks the Vita's touch-sensitive hardware required by certain software titles."

rip ouya and anything like it in the future,although the game selection needs some major help

I think the Ouya done a good job of killing itself.

• Like 5

Random, off topic question, but why are the Japanese gamers names written with the characters from a Latin alphabet, while the rest of the text is written in what ever system of Japanese they are using?

Just wondering.

Probably easier to write in latin than kanji/kana on a controller. Or they think it looks cooler, like some people think that east asian symbols look cool.

Is this a direct connection to the streaming device, or does this depend on bandwith for good gameplay?

its a new device like Apple TV, it will just stream Vita and PS4 content via the wifi. It will also do Apple TV type stuff like be able to stream movies, music, etc.

Its merely a box with hdmi output which also connects to PS4 and Vita, so you can have one in your theater room or living room, second living room maybe? while the PS4 sits somewhere else and play it so you don't have to buy 2-3 PS4's or continually move the PS4 to play it on another tv.

This was definitely my biggest surprise coming out of the announcements. 

its a new device like Apple TV, it will just stream Vita and PS4 content via the wifi. It will also do Apple TV type stuff like be able to stream movies, music, etc.

Its merely a box with hdmi output which also connects to PS4 and Vita, so you can have one in your theater room or living room, second living room maybe? while the PS4 sits somewhere else and play it so you don't have to buy 2-3 PS4's or continually move the PS4 to play it on another tv.

I was a little confused about this part.  So it is only for local playback of games, it does not stream any digital titles via PSN?  So you stream the ps4 games to this device wirelessly, meaning that the ps4 does the work and pushes it to this device.  So in effect, you cant use the ps4 while this is being done?  For Vita games, you can play those directly off the device, but not all games will work with it for obvious reasons.

Also, its disappointing that the res is limited to 720p/1080i and 2-channel audio.  Maybe there was a performance limitation that wouldn't allow 1080p/5.1.

I really like the concept of this, but I think it will be a much bigger deal once Sony gets their Gaikai service going and we can stream gaming content to the $100 device.  Although, maybe they don't want to do that since it would undermine PS4 sales.  We will see.

At first when i saw this i thought it was a way to connect the Vita to a television not a whole new Vita device. and with a remarkable price tag as well.

Now this is a definite game changer... I LOVE IT...

But I keep looking at this little box... And I keep thinking, How is this thing gonna handle PS4 type games?

PS1 games should be fine...

But Vita & PS4 games... are intensive...

Whats the specs on the box?

If this can really stream PS4 games to another tv... im sold.  I dont have a vita so those features do nothing for me.  i am out of HDMI inputs on my receiver so this would strictly be used in a secondary location for me.