Photo

Apple: iOS 7, iPhone 5C/S, ETC Live Blog news

official iphone ios 7 os x mavericks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you expect to see during the Apple Media Event keynote?

What do you expect to see during the Apple Media Event keynote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:26

Hahaha

Yea but it beats what I have now (nothing)

#62 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:27

Iphone 5S's price went up $20 in Canada :/ Lame

#63 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,595 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:28

That means nothing.

#64 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:28

Is this the least exciting product launch ever from Apple? In case it wasn't painfully clear already, this event was a reminder that Apple isn't half what it used to be with Steve Jobs. It feels like these announcements are painfully boring now, and borderline pointless. All we did was hear about a little bit of sales info then see a release of what we've already seen leaked. Might as well just stop bothering with these events. These launches are no more an event than any other phone launch. They aren't the fanfare and excitement they used to be, even if you weren't an iPhone user or fan.

I think a combination of too many leaks that were entirely non-existent before, no Steve Jobs, a lack of innovative technology (except perhaps the fingerprint reader), and the fact that even Apple fans are far more tech educated now than they used to be when "magic" was an acceptable sales pitch from Apple have killed these launch events.

#65 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,524 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:30

was amount of ram ever mentioned? with switching to 64bit I would assume a decent ram increase

#66 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:33

was amount of ram ever mentioned? with switching to 64bit I would assume a decent ram increase

It's never mentioned by Apple, but I'll take a guess at 1 GB. It shouldn't need any more really. 64bit allows more RAM, but it doesn't need it. The reason no one else has gone 64 bit yet is because it's unnecessary still. Apple usually doesn't need quite as much for iOS as others have, so I'd expect that 1 GB, MAYBE 2. 64bit will start getting bigger at the beginning of next year.

#67 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,012 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:35

Again, not sure why people expect a huge change for a second release. Apple always does a hardware refresh mid year. Always happened with the iMac, Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. Apple also tends to keep designs around for a while and improve on them slightly. Look at the MacBook Pro line and iMac line. They all haven't drastically changed in a few years. The iPhone also matches well with the design language of those. If the iPhone 6 which would be the next time they would change happens, doesn't change much then there might be an issue. 

The fact is, Apple has a solid phone design, no need to change it much aside from upgrading hardware. I like my Lumia and glad to see that they are going back to plastic in a good way. 

#68 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,524 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:36

It's never mentioned by Apple, but I'll take a guess at 1 GB. It shouldn't need any more really. 64bit allows more RAM, but it doesn't need it. The reason no one else has gone 64 bit yet is because it's unnecessary still.

even 1GB would be a good increase. my biggest problem with iphones is that i always seemed to run low on ram way too easily

#69 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:39

Is this the least exciting product launch ever from Apple? In case it wasn't painfully clear already, this event was a reminder that Apple isn't half what it used to be with Steve Jobs. It feels like these announcements are painfully boring now, and borderline pointless. All we did was hear about a little bit of sales info then see a release of what we've already seen leaked. Might as well just stop bothering with these events. These launches are no more an event than any other phone launch. They aren't the fanfare and excitement they used to be, even if you weren't an iPhone user or fan.

I think a combination of too many leaks that were entirely non-existent before, no Steve Jobs, a lack of innovative technology (except perhaps the fingerprint reader), and the fact that even Apple fans are far more tech educated now than they used to be when "magic" was an acceptable sales pitch from Apple have killed these launch events.

It's not any worse than the 4S announcement, back then the only "feature" was Siri. At least this round we get a new hardware feature

#70 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

even 1GB would be a good increase. my biggest problem with iphones is that i always seemed to run low on ram way too easily

Apple seems to keep a stubbornly low amount of RAM in their phones. They use it to say that their OS is more efficient, but with newer versions of iOS it definitely could use more. 2 is a dream but 1 GB would be good like you say.

#71 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,638 posts

You should probable say its your opinion.   I have no problem with the amount of ram.

#72 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,789 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:43

AAPL.png

Kinda happens every year but that chart looks ugly witht hat big drop right away like that.

#73 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,146 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:47

No where on apple's site for that phone mentions the ram...i find this weird.

#74 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,766 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:58

Well the 5 has 1GB so it'll be that or 2GB.

Also intrested to find out the actual clock speed of the CPU, yeh twice as fast as the A6, but is that all due to the 64-bit (i.e staying at 1.3GHz) or is it up to 1.9/2GHz to match the S4

#75 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,736 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:02

It's never mentioned by Apple, but I'll take a guess at 1 GB. It shouldn't need any more really. 64bit allows more RAM, but it doesn't need it. The reason no one else has gone 64 bit yet is because it's unnecessary still. Apple usually doesn't need quite as much for iOS as others have, so I'd expect that 1 GB, MAYBE 2. 64bit will start getting bigger at the beginning of next year.

32 bit apps will actually perform worse because of the overhead. unless they are using more than 4GB ram, this is rather weird.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!