Photo

Best Ultrabook for University

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:23

Ok, I start University next week and my Student loan comes in. I was just wondering what the best ultrabook would be. 

I'd like for it to fit in my backpack, so preferably a 13", perhaps 15", not sure.

I'd also like it to be thin and light.

8GB's of RAM and at least 256GB SSD.

For the CPU, I'd like an Intel i5 or i7 (quad core if possible). Also, if possible the CPU to be Haswell.

Battery life is a must too.

So far, I've found a few ultrabooks. The first being a Razer Blade, this was way too expensive though and not readily available in the UK. The second was a Surface Pro, this has a good price with student discount, but the battery life concerns me and also the fact that the next gen Surface could be out soon. I also had a Surface RT, but I need to be able to run proper applications on it. The third device I looked at was the Macbook Air 13", this device met all the criteria (8GB's RAM, 256GB SSD, long battery life and i5/i7 Haswell processors, would have preferred quad). 

The only thing stopping me from buying the Mac instantly is the price even with student discount, it comes to £1015, which I'm struggling to justify.

Please can I have people's opinions on what I should purchase.

Thanks. :)

#2 Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:39

I will suggest an ASUS ZenBook Ultra as a great choice.

#3 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:43

I will suggest an ASUS ZenBook Ultra as a great choice.

Just looked that one up and they seem more expensive than the Mac and the cheaper ones are from the US. Nice ultrabook though!

#4 OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:47

The Sony Vaio Pro 13 is a beast of a machine. Throw in the slate battery attachment and you get epic battery life and the fastest SSD on the market for around the same price as the MacBook Air.

Edit: I just configured one to your spec on the Sony site and it came in at £1,098.98 without any kind of discounts. Also do you really need an i7? From what I have seen the performance difference vs. price isn't worth it unless you are doing really hardcore CPU tasks.

Edit 2: With an i5 you can get it for £999 with the 18 hour battery! Pretty good deal IMHO.

#5 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:58

The Sony Vaio Pro 13 is a beast of a machine. Throw in the slate battery attachment and you get epic battery life and the fastest SSD on the market for around the same price as the MacBook Air.

Edit: I just configured one to your spec on the Sony site and it came in at £1,098.98 without any kind of discounts. Also do you really need an i7? From what I have seen the performance difference vs. price isn't worth it unless you are doing really hardcore CPU tasks.

Edit 2: With an i5 you can get it for £999 with the 18 hour battery! Pretty good deal IMHO.

To be honest, don't really need an i7, just wouldn't have minded a quad core. Does the slate battery not make it a lot heavier? 

Just looked, very nice device. Very similar specs to the Macbook Air too. Price is around the same too. Will defiantly consider this laptop. Thanks!  :)

#6 OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:04

Just looked, very nice device. Very similar specs to the Macbook Air too. Price is around the same too. Will defiantly consider this laptop. Thanks! :)

Yeah it makes it a little heavier but it is easily removable so you can leave it at home when you know you won't need it very easily. Something you can't do with the Macbook Air. As for quad core I don't think there are any quad core ultrabooks are there? The Air can have a dual core Haswell i7 but not quad.

#7 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:18

Sony UK has a store for education and you can get some serious savings there on the Vaio Pro 13 (which is a great machine).

In addition to that they're offering the extra sheet battery and 4-year warranty (instead of two) for free now. New promos always go up on Tuesday, so the promo might change tomorrow. They're always pretty good though.

Sony UK Education store: https://shop.sony.co...?shop=SST_GB_EN

#8 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: HTC One S

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:21

Have a gander at the recently released XPS 12 by Dell, it's got a nifty flip screen allowing you to use it in tablet mode.

#9 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:26

Sony UK has a store for education and you can get some serious savings there on the Vaio Pro 13 (which is a great machine).

In addition to that they're offering the extra sheet battery and 4-year warranty (instead of two) for free now. New promos always go up on Tuesday, so the promo might change tomorrow. They're always pretty good though.

Sony UK Education store: https://shop.sony.co...?shop=SST_GB_EN

Can't see that it's being discounted when added to basket?

#10 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:28

Have a gander at the recently released XPS 12 by Dell, it's got a nifty flip screen allowing you to use it in tablet mode.

I used to have a Dell Inspiron Duo which was a lot like that. It's a nice device, but it is quite a high price again and not too sure about the weight.

#11 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:31

Looks like the offer is the sheet battery and additional warranty at this moment. Sometimes it's 7% or 10% off. In Belgium they seem to have different promo combinations.

If you don't mind taking the chance (or the sheet battery/warranty don't matter that much to you), wait 'till tomorrow morning. Site will be updated by then and it's pretty likely there wil be a new promo available.

#12 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:38

Looks like the offer is the sheet battery and additional warranty at this moment. Sometimes it's 7% or 10% off. In Belgium they seem to have different promo combinations.

If you don't mind taking the chance (or the sheet battery/warranty don't matter that much to you), wait 'till tomorrow morning. Site will be updated by then and it's pretty likely there wil be a new promo available.

Ok, will do cheers! :)

#13 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung GS3

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:45

I know many people here hate HP, but I love it. http://shopping.hp.c...ion-Notebook-PC

15'
4.81 lb
8 GB
i7 Haswell
7 hrs
$749

#14 OP matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:01

I know many people here hate HP, but I love it. http://shopping.hp.c...ion-Notebook-PC

15'
4.81 lb
8 GB
i7 Haswell
7 hrs
$749

That's not a bad one actually, although I'm not sure amount the size and weight. :/

#15 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:34

ram and disk will always be cheaper and higher quality if you buy it yourself and swap it in.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!