Upgrading to 8.1 RTM from MSDN

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

Posted 14 September 2013 - 18:19

For me it wouldn't accept Acer OEM Activation. Core Single Language x64. Had to go back to 8.

#17 MP Technologie

MP Technologie

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505

Posted 14 September 2013 - 18:21

There is a simple workaround to upgrade from 8.1 preview to 8.1 RTM (or final or whatever above.) without losing anything.

Go to where your 8.1 RTM files are, open the folder named "sources", and edit the file in this folder named "cversion.ini" with notepad, and change both lines with minimal build to 9200.0

Save the file, launch the install, and now you'll have the possibility to keep everything.

Works perfectly, I use this method since first Windows Vista leaked builds and this is still the same with 7 and 8 and 8.1. ;)

Hope this helps :)

#18 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:31

More good news/bad news!

Good news: I was able to upgrade into Windows 8.1 from the preview!

Bad news: It won't activate.  I have an HP computer that came with Win8 and it says the key is stored in the BIOS so it doesn't have a sticker with the key.  I used Belarc to retrieve the key I had installed but 8.1 says that key is invalid.

#19 Jason404

Jason404

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows Server 2012, various Linux
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:23

I'm hoping someone here can answer this:

I currently only have a Windows 8 Pro upgrade licence, so I cannot clean install Windows 8.1 Pro using this ei.cfg file method, but I hope to use it to install without supplying a key and activate once I have one (using the slmgr reset to keep running until I have one).

I'm planning to eventually get Windows 8.1 keys through the Microsoft BizSpark program, which includes some sort of MSDN membership.

So, what should I put in the ei.cfg file?

• Will I have access to the Enterprise edition?
  • Should I have OEM or Retail for Channel?
  • I suppose VL should be 1?

I don't want to get into the situation where I have an unactivated Windows 8.1 installation where I have all my applications installed but I cannot activate it using my BizSpark key.

#20 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:42

More good news/bad news!

Good news: I was able to upgrade into Windows 8.1 from the preview!

Bad news: It won't activate.  I have an HP computer that came with Win8 and it says the key is stored in the BIOS so it doesn't have a sticker with the key.  I used Belarc to retrieve the key I had installed but 8.1 says that key is invalid.

You have to install the matching edition using the right product key (there are two different ones for Core and Pro). You can't install Pro and activate it with a Core key.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!